Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No way that slightly warmed-over Performance is gapping, much less lapping a Taycan.
The base Taycan model, which costs $91k in the US, is single motor RWD with 402HP and does 0-60 in 5.1. Even a current model 3 performance will handily gap a base Taycan. The new M3P should do better and still cost much, much less than a base Taycan. I don't think lapping even a base Taycan at the Nordschliefe is going to happen however, since both cars will probably need to be charged before that happens. And one last note. To equip the Base Taycan comparably to the new Model 3 requires many thousands of dollars in options and the resulting price is almost $114k.

"Limp" is probably a strong term given it was doing 180 MPH at 6:55 in the 'Ring video.
Because he did power management the whole lap to prevent overheat. If you watch Misha Charoudin lap with the gutted track pack Plaid, it goes to 500HP in 3min30s because he went full send since the beginning of the lap. Do yes, without power management the Plaid goes in limp mode in 3min-3min30. Same result on Pikes Peak if you watch unplugged Performance video for the 2023 race.

in fact Tesla should do a track mode with different level of power, and endurance mode with 600HP for example...Like Lucid does.

The sapphire has 1234HP drag strip mode, 1030HP track mode and 750HP endurance mode. Better cooling and 900V architecture though.

Would really like better cooling with Tesla but I fear new M3P will be as bad as current one. I don't see any cooling upgrades from a visual aspect on the leaks. Without additional radiators and fans don't see that coming which would be a shame...

I would give up the frunk for cooling no problem. Never use the frunk on mine...

Last edited:
Because he did power management the whole lap to prevent overheat. If you watch Misha Charoudin lap with the gutted track pack Plaid, it goes to 500HP in 3min30s because he went full send since the beginning of the lap. Do yes, without power management the Plaid goes in limp mode in 3min-3min30. Same result on Pikes Peak if you watch unplugged Performance video for the 2023 race.

in fact Tesla should do a track mode with different level of power, and endurance mode with 600HP for example...Like Lucid does.

The sapphire has 1234HP drag strip mode, 1030HP track mode and 750HP endurance mode. Better cooling and 900V architecture though.

Would really like better cooling with Tesla but I fear new M3P will be as bad as current one. I don't see any cooling upgrades from a visual aspect on the leaks. Without additional radiators and fans don't see that coming which would be a shame...

I would give up the frunk for cooling no problem. Never use the frunk on mine...
Seems like a good reason for the aftermarket to add more cooling.

Reactions: phantasms
Yep very impressive! As was mentioned 300kmh into Schwedenkreuz is absolutely insane. Can't wait to see him take the new Taycan on.

1000073393.jpg

Shizansplatz

Reactions: phantasms
with less than half a lap at full power. Would be 60%+ per lap if the car could hold full 740KW instead of half the lap at 370KW....
Also the plaid would be probably 10s faster on the nurb without power management...
That's a lot. I thought I had high consumption at 1500 whr / mile on the NCCAR track. I got in three full sessions at 20 min each in before using all my battery. I was charging at 40A in between sessions, though. This was on my 2018 P3D.

Seems like a good reason for the aftermarket to add more cooling.
Is the cooling issue due to an insufficient radiator or is there insufficient heat transfer within the battery pack to keep the batteries from overheating? If it's the radiator, it would seem simple to put in a bigger, more effective radiator. If it's in the pack, that's something that would require Tesla reengineering the pack.

Is the cooling issue due to an insufficient radiator or is there insufficient heat transfer within the battery pack to keep the batteries from overheating? If it's the radiator, it would seem simple to put in a bigger, more effective radiator. If it's in the pack, that's something that would require Tesla reengineering the pack.
Both.

Cooling packages offered by MPP and other improve cooling on track days but not to the point the battery does not overheat before it's empty. Motors overheat as well. (M3P)

There needs to be work done on both...

Looks like the new Taycan is out and walks and talks the part. Anything we see here that might relate to M3P expectations? Obviously if my metrics were just performance the Porsche is impressive, but when weighing performance/price I’ll just always choose my M3.
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2024/products/porsche-the-new-taycan-turbo-gt-35479.html
Entirely different price points. There aren't going to be many things related between those two models. Both will be impressive for their intended audience but it is pointless to compare them when the Porsche will cost about 4 times as much as the Model 3 Ludicrous and double what a Model S Plaid costs.

Looks like the new Taycan is out and walks and talks the part. Anything we see here that might relate to M3P expectations? Obviously if my metrics were just performance the Porsche is impressive, but when weighing performance/price I’ll just always choose my M3.
Most powerful series-production Porsche of all time sets record lap times at Laguna Seca and the Nürburgring
I like it. They still didn't cover what they did to get to a 7:07 on the track.
details:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lolo780
Reactions: mpgxsvcd