Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does this even mean lol - can you break it down for dum-dum’s like myself please?

Occasionally I take a break from the lively plaid/taycan/battery size discussion here and search for "Tesla model 3 highland performance" in google. Today the first two links to blog sites talk about performance figures pulled from the website source code. Basically: Because of the breakthrough design of highland, we were able to produce the exact same range and performance! But with cooled seats of course.

One day we are going to wake up to this...

I can't wait any longer 🥲

Model 3 Ludicrous Configurator V2.png

Probably nothing but I was skimming over the sourcecode when I realized what if they end up doing a Model 3 Performance with similar stats/price to the old one and then the Model 3 Performance ludicrous, which is a software unlock over the Model 3P, at a higher price point for people like me who want to go as fast as possible but not in a giant Model S. For them the only difference will be software and badge. It'll allow them to sell more M3P to get COGS down and then get some extra cash from people who want the very best. A similar business plan to the very successful one Porsche uses. "¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "

Reactions: P-Lo801 and cptnslo
Probably nothing but I was skimming over the sourcecode when I realized what if they end up doing a Model 3 Performance with similar stats/price to the old one and then the Model 3 Performance ludicrous, which is a software unlock over the Model 3P, at a higher price point for people like me who want to go as fast as possible but not in a giant Model S. For them the only difference will be software and badge. It'll allow them to sell more M3P to get COGS down and then get some extra cash from people who want the very best. A similar business plan to the very successful one Porsche uses. "¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "
Not sure if they will want to make too many variations. They could easily do a half way house though of the same LR hardware but add in the full Performance boost as a software upgrade. So it’s a few k more, doesn’t have different wheels, brakes or the rear spoiler lip but has the power. No need then to make additional configurations as it’s all just software then.

I doubt they’ll do this though, it’ll be the normal 3 models and maybe acceleration boost will return for the LR.

Reactions: phantasms
Not sure if they will want to make too many variations. They could easily do a half way house though of the same LR hardware but add in the full Performance boost as a software upgrade. So it’s a few k more, doesn’t have different wheels, brakes or the rear spoiler lip but has the power. No need then to make additional configurations as it’s all just software then.

I doubt they’ll do this though, it’ll be the normal 3 models and maybe acceleration boost will return for the LR.
I'm just figuring that since they've made a new front bumper for the 3P/L they'll want to move as many as possible. The acceleration boost of the LR 3 was a successful enterprise, why not do the same thing with the P. I agree it probably wont be the case but the more I think about it the more I wonder if it would be a good move for them and us.

I'm just figuring that since they've made a new front bumper for the 3P/L they'll want to move as many as possible. The acceleration boost of the LR 3 was a successful enterprise, why not do the same thing with the P. I agree it probably wont be the case but the more I think about it the more I wonder if it would be a good move for them and us.
So basically you propose something like follows in terms of performance from 3 hardware different cars:

Base Model 3

LR Model 3

LR Model 3 with Acceleration Boost

Performance Model 3 (Similar perf to last M3P)

Performance Model 3 with Ludicrous (Same hardware as above, extra badge and rest is just software)

Could work. Extra money for just software unlocks is a good business model.

Reactions: phantasms
So basically you propose something like follows in terms of performance from 3 hardware different cars:

Base Model 3

LR Model 3

LR Model 3 with Acceleration Boost

Performance Model 3 (Similar perf to last M3P)

Performance Model 3 with Ludicrous (Same hardware as above, extra badge and rest is just software)

Could work. Extra money for just software unlocks is a good business model.
Extra business for Ingenext. At least the hardware difference will keep the LR folks from having Performance power.

The Taycan Turbo GT is $232k with the Weissach package. It sounds like a lot of money since it's more than double the price of a Model S Plaid with the track package, but I think what it really does is show what a great deal the Tesla is. If you compare the Taycan GT to Porsche's other GT cars, it's cheaper than most of them and it's performance is in league with them. By that measure, the Taycan is a pretty good deal.

Meanwhile Tesla races the slowest 911 with a $100K+ Cybertruck and lies about who won in a quarter mile- who's desperate?

I'm still interested what you call it when Tesla lies about their performance against a Porsche?
It's a lie that Tesla has lied about the performance against a Porsche. Tesla never said what the length of the drag race between the Cybertruck towing a 911 and the 911 was. Anyone who thought it was a 1/4 mile was just making an assumption. Personally, watching the video, it seemed much shorter than a 1/4 mile to me. As for racing against the slowest 911, the 911 Carrera still does 0-60 in 4 seconds flat, and I don't see any other manufacturer racing their truck against a 911. In any case, having the drag race and not showing the Cybertruck towing the 911 until the end is entertaining and pretty humorous. Just roll with it and enjoy the humor.

It's a lie that Tesla has lied about the performance against a Porsche. Tesla never said what the length of the drag race between the Cybertruck towing a 911 and the 911 was. Anyone who thought it was a 1/4 mile was just making an assumption. Personally, watching the video, it seemed much shorter than a 1/4 mile to me. As for racing against the slowest 911, the 911 Carrera still does 0-60 in 4 seconds flat, and I don't see any other manufacturer racing their truck against a 911. In any case, having the drag race and not showing the Cybertruck towing the 911 until the end is entertaining and pretty humorous. Just roll with it and enjoy the humor.
Dude. He literally said quarter mile. 27 min mark. Go. 😂