Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on everything we’re seeing (not much) we are in agreement it’s going to be a slight bump 0-60 and it MIGHT have some extra pull above 60 compared to it’s predecessor, right?
10.5 @ 128 mph 1/4 mile and 0-60 mph in 2.6 seconds is my prediction. I think everyone would be or at least should be satisfied with that especially if it is well under $60k.

10.5 @ 128 mph 1/4 mile and 0-60 mph in 2.6 seconds is my prediction. I think everyone would be or at least should be satisfied with that especially if it is well under $60k.
I hope you're right. If Tesla does that, it would put the M3P back in the same position it was in when it first came out in 2018 relative to the competition. I think the M3P is the main reason that the competition stepped up their game so much over the last 4 or 5 years.

Those performance figures would be a dream but with a little over 600hp from what we know it would seem unlikely.
EVs aren’t like ICE cars because EVs typically have a single speed transmission. With a multi speed gearbox you can continuously shift back into the peak power band.

With ICE cars peak HP is meaningful because you are continuously shifting the gears to maintain peak or close to peak power.

With EVs that have fixed gear ratio transmissions you are at the mercy of the power curve. When power falls off your acceleration will suffer as compared to multi speed cars.

With an EV like the model 3 you are hitting peak power for just a fraction of a second around 55 mph. Then for the next 8+ seconds of a 1/4 mile run your power is trailing off.

With the ICE car once you are out of 1st gear you are continuously sitting at or close to peak power for virtually all of the run but you also lose a small fraction of a second for each gear shift.

Imagine what going from ~400 Hp to 500+ Hp for 8 seconds will do for your total 1/4 mile time. That isn’t even taking into account that the 60’ time will improve by a considerable amount as well.

Everyone needs to stop thinking about peak HP with single speed EVs until those cars gain a flat HP curve throughout the upper portion of their rev range. Without that flat HP curve the peak HP is meaningless in a single speed EV.

Just watch. The Model 3 can get much quicker even if the peak HP stays exactly the same. There is tons of room for improvement on the launch and even more room for improvement on the top end after the peak power is reached.

Good to see a close up of the Warp wheels. There was some concern that they would not be available without the holes holding the aero covers on. Clearly not the case.
7A95B0C8-81B0-4986-8380-07B56253BDD1.png
3C8BC57B-07AD-44FE-9FF4-E7AD9B02A808.png

Good to see a close up of the Warp wheels. There was some concern that they would not be available without the holes holding the aero covers on. Clearly not the case.
So does this mean there will be two versions, one with aero cover holes and one without? That just sounds like a very inefficient use of resources and unlike Tesla. If they wanted to provide Performance users with extra range, they should just offer a 19" wheel option.

Good to see a close up of the Warp wheels. There was some concern that they would not be available without the holes holding the aero covers on. Clearly not the case.View attachment 1030217View attachment 1030218
Yes that was my worry so good to see I'm wrong on that. Nice to see they are giving people a choice with a more range efficient design but if you don't like that, a nice looking alloy underneath also. Best of both worlds really.

Reactions: arkhos and mpgxsvcd
I believe that single speed electric drive is a far better solution for 1/4 mile optimization than either manual or automatic multi-speed transmissions connected to ICE engines.

The combination of software and traction control can provide an uninterupted flow to torque along the entire length of the track. ICE vehicles are at peak HP/Torque production only a small fraction of the time going down the track as once they make peak HP they must quickly shift into a higher gear ratio, which takes them off the peak until the revs can once again reach peak hp.
In addition, traction is broken on each shift. Car stops accelerating and tires need to again begin applying torque when the next gear is engaged. This runs a shock wave through the wheels and down to the track as traction is broken and needs to be re-applied.
You can see drag racers weave all over the track with each agressive shift. The transmissions need to be disengage torque, shift to a higher gear, then reapply torque, but at a lower RPM, where HP is not at max.
The fastest rail drag cars make with just a single shift, going down the track. They wait to shift until their huge wings are applying enough downforce to make the traction necessary to handle the torque of the shift.

• Informative
Reactions: ashegam
Both are/will be great cars. Much better value than any of the competition.
Both could be better if Tesla cared about suspension tuning. The platform has a lot of potential — low cg, double wishbone suspension up front, multi link rear. But they need to poach some of those suspension savants from Germany to really take advantage of it.

spoke to the service tech today (take it with a grain of salt) who said what’s he’s heard from engineering (the local cybertruck owner is a HV Engineer for Tesla) that the new M3P will not be as quick as the current refresh MSLR but we will see. Just sharing a tid bit I was privy to

spoke to the service tech today (take it with a grain of salt) who said what’s he’s heard from engineering (the local cybertruck owner is a HV Engineer for Tesla) that the new M3P will not be as quick as the current refresh MSLR but we will see. Just sharing a tid bit I was privy to
Since the 2023 M3P is rated the same* as the S LR, then I'd have to say there are better sources of information.

*(DGAF about roll out)

• Funny
Reactions: phantasms