Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Model S - Acceleration Modes​

The acceleration settings available on your Model S vary depending on date of manufacture and options chosen at time of purchase:

• Chill: limits acceleration for a smooth and gentle ride (available on all vehicles equipped with Autopilot hardware).
  • Standard: provides the normal level of acceleration (available on non-Performance All-Wheel Drive vehicles and Rear Wheel Drive Model S vehicles equipped with Autopilot hardware).
  • Sport: provides the normal level of acceleration (available on Performance All-Wheel Drive vehicles).
  • Insane: increases peak torque by approximately 30 percent (available on Performance All-Wheel Drive vehicles not equipped with the Ludicrous upgrade).
  • Ludicrous: increases peak torque by approximately 60 percent (available on Performance All-Wheel Drive vehicles equipped with the Ludicrous upgrade).
  • Insane+: increases peak torque by approximately 30 percent (available on Performance All-Wheel Drive vehicles not equipped with the Ludicrous upgrade) while also heating up the Battery to its ideal operating temperature to ensure access to 100% of available power. Before choosing this setting, read about Using Insane+ or Ludicrous+.
  • Ludicrous+: increases peak torque by approximately 60 percent (available on Performance All-Wheel Drive vehicles equipped with the Ludicrous upgrade) while also immediately heating up the Battery to its ideal operating temperature to ensure access to 100% of available power. Before choosing this setting, read about Using Insane+ or Ludicrous+.

I'm now thinking this has to be a significant upgrade in performance, and not just slight visual upgrades, seats, suspension, etc. For the simple fact of continue to increase sales and to entice older buyers of the M3P to continue upgrading.

Like someone said earlier, that when this first came out it was cheaper and faster than a BMW M3. Well now BMW and others have continued to up their game both in terms of speed and price, approx $85k for a M3 Competition x drive.

New guess is this will be around $60-65k to start, and have numbers like 0-60 of 2.5*(with rollout) and 1/4 mile 10.5@127. For Tesla to use the verbiage Ludicrous, I think it has to at least match the speed of previous cars that had Ludicrous mode. Quicker and faster than the BMW again and over $20k less.

Last edited:
What we know so far.
F118E4BB-D8AE-45D1-8700-96A4D7B1F154.png

Here is what is possible with just a better top end and virtually no changes to the 0-60 mph at all. This is a modified Kia Stinger which weighs just a little more than the stock Model 3 Performance.

IMG_3405.jpeg

Here is the quickest run in a Model 3 Performance with weight reductions. Notice how it matches the modified Stinger in the mid range but can’t keep up at all after it gets close to the 1/8 mile? Mid 10s would be easily achievable if it matched the Stinger in the top end but had a 2.8 0-60 mph instead of a 3.01.

IMG_3406.jpeg

I absolutely love my 21 M3P with sport coilovers and USS, but I’m getting very very excited about this car. The fact that it happens to be the cheapest car I’m considering is just icing on the cake. 😂

Hopefully they don’t also come out with a more hardcore Plaid S because then I’ll have some serious first world difficulties to manage.

I think it'll be a solid upgrade if not the jump from Model S before Plaid to Plaid. 275 tyres should give it some extra grip at slow speeds so it'll hopefully be somewhat quicker to 60. Better top end from the new motor gives it a reasonable performance boost overall without hopefully a cost increase.

I'm actually more interested in the new suspension. In comfort will this match or even beat the lower models and yet be nice change enough to be nice and sporty also. Other brands can pull this off so hoping Tesla has done so as well.