Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Non square widths are a detriment to handling on the well balanced model 3. Nobody that races one goes wider in the rear.

This is about making the car look more aggressive without taking too much of a range hit. It's marketing, just like the 20" wheels are. Look at all the people in the thread asking for wider tires, not actually focusing on speed.

The front easily handles a 275, and everyone that cares about handling should immediately go to 18" 275's all around.
marketing and 0-60 most likely. Also they won't be putting down competitive lap times if they plan to market track performance with 235 square.

The new one is faster and I suspect may have a larger proportion of the power going to the rear. And handling benefit too
And that helps with 0-60 where weight transfers onto the rear wheels ;) Hence wider tyres to allow the car to put that extra power down better.

I think even on Performance models, Tesla still cares about the range of their cars if the drop is too high. I don't think they'd have switched to 275 from 235 if they felt the car didn't need it.

Also they won't be putting down competitive lap times if they plan to market track performance with 235 square.
Tesla has never marketed track performance with anything non-Plaid, have they? And even with Plaid, that's with the track pack.
If they do it with the M3L, it will be with a track pack too (remember that the M3P already has a track pack)
All they care about advertising in stock form is 0-60, top speed, and range.

Lol, since we're all children today... 😅

deez nuts.

Attachments

• IMG_4048.jpg
    IMG_4048.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 15
Grind the stud down and put a jam nut with no washer.

Who makes those uprights?
They're SSB prototypes, only ones in existence right now. I have an idea of how 18s could fit, but will require a special post and both arms. 19s and 305s are the easy answer here.

I think the power bump (if real) coupled all the right parts could make the TM3 the easiest and most reliable way to compete at the top of XA.

Reactions: phantasms
I think the power bump (if real) coupled all the right parts could make the TM3 the easiest and most reliable way to compete at the top of XA.
Are you worried that XA goes the CAM-C route and drops in the "no electric or hybrid-electric vehicles" line? CAM-C did this despite a Model 3 being 100% compliant with every other CAM-C rule (weight, seating, American made, etc)... XA's already running a fine line with the rule "All vehicles using an automobile-based engine." which is questionable for an electric motor.

Are you worried that XA goes the CAM-C route and drops in the "no electric or hybrid-electric vehicles" line? CAM-C did this despite a Model 3 being 100% compliant with every other CAM-C rule (weight, seating, American made, etc)... XA's already running a fine line with the rule "All vehicles using an automobile-based engine." which is questionable for an electric motor.

CAM-C has a front engine RWD requirement. So its not necessarily because its an EV, its just the wrong platform. I already got confirmation directly from the board that EVs are intended to play in XA so we should be good for things past EVX. Hopefully the publish the clarification in this months Fasttrack.

Even though we were pretty slow at Vegas Pro, we did get a glimpse of how well it could do. We were unfortunately limited by floppy springs and pinched tires. Im working on swapping from the 8k/10k KW springs to 14k/21.5k (800/1200) and will probably be taking it to Crows Tour for more testing instead of the Evo.

Need to find some 19x11s to swap the 275s on in prep for 305s later. And then hopefully it all ports over to the new version :D

Traction isn’t an issue with the current Model 3 Performance because it doesn’t push the limits of that platform. If you tried to get down below 2.7 for 0-60 mph then traction would start to be an issue. That is why I think they went with the staggered tires now.
Not really. You can do 2.1 with the same tires. Width only helps with heat management and side loads.

275 on 4 corners puts model 3 to the proper target tire pressure of 32 psi with the stock weight.