Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hafta say that the LAST thing I’d like to see is any sort of special, must-be-activated “Launch Mode”.

One of my favorites aspects of the Model 3 Peformance is that full power is available nearly all the time.

Simply modifying the motor control software to enable a quicker ramp to full power from a standstill would help a bunch with 60’ / from a dig performance…
If they implement one I think it’d be like the Model S. You have full power in Insane / Ludicrous / Plaid, but going into drag strip mode heats up the batteries (and in the case of thee S adjusts the suspension) and such to squeeze out the maximum performance

Reactions: phantasms

Sport Auto Drove the Ioniq 5N and did 7min45 on the full lap with P-Zero Corsa. Would have been in the 7min 30's with extreme tires (CUP2R for example)

Absolutely no performance degradation during the lap, power stayed consistent the whole time. (Plaid in limp mode after 3.5min, same for a current 3P). Car is also able to do 0.6G in regen alone, so brakes are holding great (not like Tesla on stock setups...)

This powertrain on another platform (sedan/sport car) would be pretty insane.

I'm certain a 600HP Model 3 would do significantly better if it was able to maintain power during the entire lap, since it is a lot lighter. Issue is that Tesla is far from the competition as far as cooling, so not likely to happen with the highland IMO. I will not start again 400V vs 800v, but I have my strong opinion on that matter for performance EVs.

I hope Tesla will step up this time, pretty sure acceleration will be great, pretty sure cooling will be bad again and we end up again with a half lap setup...

I was just about to create a thread about this, but glad that I did some reading in this deep thread to find your post.

The IONIQ 5N is a game changer on many levels. If I was HMG I would have paid people to run the best hot laps around the Nürburgring to get those numbers out and make the press with some crazy good lap times. That video was great and the whole time I was thinking how much better it could have been with better tires. The 5N just keeps going, it's nuts.

I'm probably not the only one, but as a car guy, it pains me to to see non car guys to parrot things like how the down shifting and synchronized audible noise is just a gimmick. (There are a lot of those who never turned a wrench in their life, you know the internet car experts / a lot of Tesla owners lol)

The reality is that HMG has developed something very meaningful with the downshift simulation, which is brilliant and any seasoned driver who's familiar with the track appreciates this feature that HMG has developed in an EV, even before the likes of legends like Porsche etc...in a production EV.

What I'm most curious about is how the M3L will do on the Nürburgring vs even the Plaid S (stock). The 3 is a lot more nimble vs the Model Boat (S) and with the new 3 being better on the top end vs the M3P, it should be able to make up some ground to dial in a really good time.

As for the 0-60 on the M3L, if the rumors are true of it being 2.9 sec, that's not much different if at all in the real world vs the current M3P. There are plenty of M3P times in the low 3s (dragy verified), with many clocking in 3.0s and the fastest I've seen was 2.98 & 2.99 sec in a M3P. The difference here will be the pull after ~100MPH, where the current 3/Y fall flat on their face.

Side note: I wish Tesla would stop using the 1 foot roll out. Marketing I get it but still...

I hope that one of these real car guys that do youtube do a drag between the new M3L and M3P asap so that it can settle a lot of debates and curiosity. It'll be fun to see....

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: KArnold and Adam3
Nurburgring numbers are 100% irrelevant to me. So much of lap time there is top end accel and top speed. And then with EVs they have to ship with eco tires for published range.

Also, I keep seeing people talk about how quick others have gotten older M3P in 0-60 then comparing to potentially published 0-60, that’s not Apples to apples. The same mods will work to make similar improvements to the next car. So published numbers is the most relevant to compare.

Maybe if it was as simple as brake and accelerator both down then let off the brake?
I would be in the camp that @Zcd1 is. I dont want any particular "launch mode" gyrations. I hated those in my BMWs and one of the reasons I like my model 3 performance is that it doesnt have those.

Mine is a 2018 model but I still like it, but one of the reasons I have been checking in this thread (beside moderation) is interest in the subject matter of what might be done on the new model. I dont find myself playing "boy racer" much anymore though.

I am also of the mind that this car (and this thread) suffer from the same exact thing that happens to every "mass market" performance type car. That thing is, a very vocal minority talks online about what should or should not be there, going back and forth over "I would buy it if only it (insert some niche thing here)", while most actual buyers of the cars dont care about any of that stuff.

BMW and Merc figured this stuff out a long time ago, they created entire "go fast" appearance packages that dont actually do anything about "going fast" except LOOKING different and like they might be fast, and sold them like hotcakes (for large profit), while enthusiasts gnashed teeth about "dilute the brand".

Tesla would #@!$$!@$ off a lot of people in this thread ( and conversely make a LOT of money) if they just made a "go fast appearance Ludicrous package" with a factory installed diffuser, splitter, carbon fiber mirror caps, other carbon fiber bits, maybe an upscale interior package choice....

Would sell like crazy, even though almost no one in this thread would want it (or admit they want it, anyway).

Anyway, back to launch modes, I hope they dont do that, the instant torque without gyrations is one of the selling points.

was just about to create a thread about this, but glad that I did some reading in this deep thread to find your post.
It actually would have been better for you to create the separate thread you talk about, on that vehicle, in the electric vehicles subforum here:

Had I seen that video posted in this thread previously I would have moved it there. If you want to discuss that vehicle that is the place for it.

Nurburgring numbers are 100% irrelevant to me. So much of lap time there is top end accel and top speed. And then with EVs they have to ship with eco tires for published range.

Also, I keep seeing people talk about how quick others have gotten older M3P in 0-60 then comparing to potentially published 0-60, that’s not Apples to apples. The same mods will work to make similar improvements to the next car. So published numbers is the most relevant to compare.
Plenty of people have done 3.0x seconds with rollout subtracted and 100% Stock Model 3 Performance cars. Shaving less than .1 seconds off that time is insignificant.

It is also possible that 18” wheels won’t fit the new car especially if they change the brake calipers at all.

I would be in the camp that @Zcd1 is. I dont want any particular "launch mode" gyrations. I hated those in my BMWs and one of the reasons I like my model 3 performance is that it doesnt have those.

Mine is a 2018 model but I still like it, but one of the reasons I have been checking in this thread (beside moderation) is interest in the subject matter of what might be done on the new model. I dont find myself playing "boy racer" much anymore though.

I am also of the mind that this car (and this thread) suffer from the same exact thing that happens to every "mass market" performance type car. That thing is, a very vocal minority talks online about what should or should not be there, going back and forth over "I would buy it if only it (insert some niche thing here)", while most actual buyers of the cars dont care about any of that stuff.

BMW and Merc figured this stuff out a long time ago, they created entire "go fast" appearance packages that dont actually do anything about "going fast" except LOOKING different and like they might be fast, and sold them like hotcakes (for large profit), while enthusiasts gnashed teeth about "dilute the brand".

Tesla would #@!$$!@$ off a lot of people in this thread ( and conversely make a LOT of money) if they just made a "go fast appearance Ludicrous package" with a factory installed diffuser, splitter, carbon fiber mirror caps, other carbon fiber bits, maybe an upscale interior package choice....

Would sell like crazy, even though almost no one in this thread would want it (or admit they want it, anyway).

Anyway, back to launch modes, I hope they dont do that, the instant torque without gyrations is one of the selling points.
Torque is not instant off the line with the Model 3 Performance. It leaves extremely soft. The torque hit at 35 mph is what is instant.

A launch mode doesn’t mean it decreases the potential from just mashing the pedal. It just means that the launch mode acceleration will be much stronger than previous versions.

A launch mode has only positive attributes. There is no downside to it especially without variable ride height that takes too much time to engage.

I wouldn’t mind a little more aggressive 0-5mph to drop the 60’ down to maybe 1.5-1.6s. When I am just having fun around my commute, I usually just roll on the throttle. If it takes a 2-second brake hold to get those last few tenths out of the launch, that would be fine with me.

I do hope there is a pre-heating option!

Reactions: Park2670
I wouldn’t mind a little more aggressive 0-5mph to drop the 60’ down to maybe 1.5-1.6s. When I am just having fun around my commute, I usually just roll on the throttle. If it takes a 2-second brake hold to get those last few tenths out of the launch, that would be fine with me.

I do hope there is a pre-heating option!
I hope pre-heating is not necessary to achieve optimal results. That is probably wishful thinking though.

Reactions: phantasms
I hope pre-heating is not necessary to achieve optimal results. That is probably wishful thinking though.
Unfortunately, the current batteries don’t have a lot more to give without being at high SOC and warm, I don’t expect the M3L to be the next leap in mass-produced battery tech, so being able to preheat without S3XY buttons or navigation tricks would be the next best thing :p.

Unfortunately, the current batteries don’t have a lot more to give without being at high SOC and warm, I don’t expect the M3L to be the next leap in mass-produced battery tech, so being able to preheat without S3XY buttons or navigation tricks would be the next best thing :p.
Perhaps it will have a heating system that heats faster? That would be a welcomed thing.

Reactions: Lindenwood

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407_003829_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407_003829_Firefox.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Possible price leak of the Performance version at $73,290 CAD (~$54,000 USD) on the Tesla Canada rebates page?

Not sure if this is an old price table, but the price does line up if Tesla is trying to qualify for the US rebate.
I’d be amazed if they could keep it barely above the current price of a MYP with all the changes to the car with the highland but who knows

All this 0-60 and quarter mile talk. Frankly I don’t care about any of that as the current car is fast enough for road driving and I’m not going planning to track it. It’s not going to be much fast in Europe on the LG battery anyway based on the power limits.

I care about the comfort, in comfort mode, is it more or less comfortable than a Long Range. Very interested in what the new suspension does for the day to day ride. Less about what it does in Sport which I’ll use but be 1-2% of the time I use the car probably.

I care about the efficiency, we know it won’t be as good as a Long Range but what’s is the real drop when it’s on 19’s. Having ruined two sets of tyres and rims on the wife’s car in a year of ownership on 20’s. No way I’ll take 20’s when 19’s are likely the default option for UK roads. Even then I’d prefer 18’s to better still survive our bad roads.

Ionic 5 N is a great car, it also has a pretty tiny range so for a day to day car, not so great. I would be a pain on a road trip even more so that it doesn’t get Tesla’s superchargers.

Then finally I guess is price, not so much if I can afford it or not but just is it worth the difference over the Long Range or is Tesla taking the piss.

I’d be amazed if they could keep it barely above the current price of a MYP with all the changes to the car with the highland but who knows
Why’s that? They reduced the price of the Model 3 when the Highland came out in the UK, nothing they did really makes it more expensive. Yes they added things like ambient lighting and a rear screen but they also removed and optimised in other places to bring the cost down. I expect it’s the same or less to make than the model that came before it.

Nothing much on the Ludicrous means the price needs to be more than the last Model 3 Performance. Sports seats but it’s just the price difference between them and the standard seats. Same with the new suspension and a bit more cost on the wheels, splitter and so on. I don’t think it’ll cost much more to make but doesn’t mean it won’t cost a good chunk more when Tesla try to add a nice margin to it. Performance cars always have higher margins.

Last edited:
Reactions: milesr3 and Flatbat
All this 0-60 and quarter mile talk. Frankly I don’t care about any of that as the current car is fast enough for road driving and I’m not going planning to track it. It’s not going to be much fast in Europe on the LG battery anyway based on the power limits.

I care about the comfort, in comfort mode, is it more or less comfortable than a Long Range. Very interested in what the new suspension does for the day to day ride. Less about what it does in Sport which I’ll use but be 1-2% of the time I use the car probably.

I care about the efficiency, we know it won’t be as good as a Long Range but what’s is the real drop when it’s on 19’s. Having ruined two sets of tyres and rims on the wife’s car in a year of ownership on 20’s. No way I’ll take 20’s when 19’s are likely the default option for UK roads. Even then I’d prefer 18’s to better still survive our bad roads.

Then finally I guess is price, not so much if I can afford it or not but just is it worth the difference over the Long Range or is Tesla taking the piss.

Why’s that? They reduced the price of the Model 3 when the Highland came out in the UK, nothing they did really makes it more expensive. Yes they added things like ambient lighting and a rear screen but they also removed and optimised in other places to bring the cost down. I expect it’s the same or less to make than the model that came before it.

Nothing much on the Ludicrous means the price needs to be more than the last Model 3 Performance. Sports seats but it’s just the price difference between them and the standard seats. Same with the new suspension and a bit more cost on the wheels, splitter and so on. I don’t think it’ll cost much more to make but doesn’t mean it won’t cost a good chunk more when Tesla try to add a nice margin to it. Performance cars always have higher margins.
Brakes are one of the bigger cost differences.

Reactions: FastLaneJB

Ionic 5 N is a great car, it also has a pretty tiny range so for a day to day car, not so great. I would be a pain on a road trip even more so that it doesn’t get Tesla’s superchargers.

Sounds like a used MSLR is in your future……..