Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a matter of interest I’ve ordered an AWD - Originally on 9.6% then changed to 5.9%. My PCP is now cheaper over 3 years than 9.6% over 4 years!! It makes that much difference.

I’d think long and hard before ordering a performance at that ridiculous APR.
I think as @Durzel mentions, if you can hold off then wait a bit longer as the Model 3 will drop down to Model Y levels of APR sooner or later. If you need a car desperately and want a Tesla then should consider the Model Y as it's a far better deal currently.

I've paid cash for my Model 3 Highland as I need a car as don't have one at the moment and not prepared to pay 9.6% APR (They dropped it after I ordered but wouldn't pay 5.9% either). The savings in interest is significant, even if you put in a large wad of cash upfront.

I don't have the safety net of guaranteed future value but will give this car to the wife at some point and we'll then keep it a long time so not really that bothered. Also can factor in the savings on interest gives me some coverage there anyway.

I imagine Model Y will jump to a high APR when the Juniper comes out though they also have far more production lines for that car so maybe still will have more supply than demand.

Reactions: Durzel
I ordered one of the new Performance version of the Modrl 3 in April. It had a delivery date of “May-June” which I always thought was a bit fanciful. It’s now “ June-July” - I’ll be selling an existing car prior so trying to figure out how accurate these proposed dates are.

I can see in other threads that cars ordered in a Quarter tend to be delivered that quarter - not sure of how that makes sense as technically 31st March is still Q1 but unless Elon has also invented a Time Machine, you won’t get your vehicle…..

I can see that these are produced in China and shipped to Dublin via Belgium. Anyone any idea of when a car ordered in April might be available for collection?

I also read about this “information black-hole” that exists from Tesla when trying to get delivery info, so I find myself here, dependent on you guys for your experience and knowledge, so thanks in advance.

I ordered one of the new Performance version of the Modrl 3 in April. It had a delivery date of “May-June” which I always thought was a bit fanciful. It’s now “ June-July” - I’ll be selling an existing car prior so trying to figure out how accurate these proposed dates are.

I can see in other threads that cars ordered in a Quarter tend to be delivered that quarter - not sure of how that makes sense as technically 31st March is still Q1 but unless Elon has also invented a Time Machine, you won’t get your vehicle…..

I can see that these are produced in China and shipped to Dublin via Belgium. Anyone any idea of when a car ordered in April might be available for collection?

I also read about this “information black-hole” that exists from Tesla when trying to get delivery info, so I find myself here, dependent on you guys for your experience and knowledge, so thanks in advance.
Someone in this thread might help:

The "in quarter" thing is becoming less of a thing for a couple of reasons, Tesla are trying to break away from the quarterly crazy season, there's ghenerally more inventory around that gets carried over from one quarter and with the problems in the middle east, the boats have a longer shipping time than before.

But you're otherwise correct, it's a bit of a information black hole. I don't know if the hidden vin thing is still a thing (they allocate the car to you byt don't tell you directly) or you just have to wait.

I had a test drive in the Highland Model 3 Performance yesterday. This was the first time I'd had a test drive with Tesla and I was amazed at how laid-back they were! I showed my driving licence and agreed to some terms and then I was given the key-card and the sales lady said "see you in about an hour?"! Brilliant.

So, first impressions were good. I much prefer the front styling to the "old" M3 - it just looks sleeker and, well, to me, nicer. Likewise, inside the materials are good and the performance seats really nice (more on that in a moment). Once out on the road, I have to be honest and say I didn't notice any difference in performance from my 2020 M3P - both are blindingly fast! I deliberately chose a route with several roundabouts as I have serious reservations about putting the indicators on the steering wheel. Now, remember that these are just my opinions, but I found the indicators just appalling to use. No problem when indicating on a straight stretch of road of course, but when indicating to come off a roundabout exit just awful. No doubt you'd soon get used to it. Why you have to "get used" to such a daft idea I don't know.

Coming from an Intel 2020 car I appreciated the so-called "High Fidelity Park Assist", though I find the curious blobby appearance a bit weird when you see how slickly other cars do it and I'm not convinced of its accuracy compared to USS. Obviously I was unable to test the matrix lights. The ride didn't seem very different to my 2020 car though I didn't do into the menus to do any adjustment. Oh, back to those seats - I loved 'em, but my partner, who is erm.... a bit broad in the backside area, hated them! She kept telling me so too....

So, I won't be putting in an order but will probably update my car to a 2023 M3P to get the lights, power boot, heat pump etc. For me, the wheel-based indicators are almost a deal-breaker but others will be less bothered I'm sure.

Is weird isn’t it, what was wanted was better suspension, better sports seats, visually more different to the regular M3, I suppose some wanted more power too, and we got something on all to some extent, and it’s a bit.. yeah, well, maybe.. The Model S and X updates were a bit the same a few years ago if sales are to go by. Maybe Tesla is finding out it’s difficult to keep their customer base wanting the next generation, something traditional auto companies seemingly constantly strive to do.

I think the feedback comes from two camps and shows:
1) People who've not had/driven the performance before... and are amazed at the speed, blown away, amazing etc.
2) People who've had a previous performance... can't tell the difference in performance.

I think that colours a lot of the views, but if you can remove the performance bit, there's some useful info.

Also, I think this is Tesla's own fault. They're advertising this as 2.9 0-60... where I'm not sure it is, but even then, I'm not sure you'd tell. I suspect if we'd had the car they get in the US, which seems to have more top end as well as faster 0-60, then it might have been noticeable. But essentially they're selling with improved performance (sub 3 sec 0-60), but no one who had one can feel the difference. They should have either not advertised it as improved, or actually noticeably improved it.

Test drove it yesterday for an hour.

Definitely more evolution rather than revolution. It didn't feel noticeably faster on a launch than my 3LR with acceleration boost, but does pull stronger at higher speeds.

Comfier seats (love the ventilation), quieter cabin, and the adaptive suspension makes a huge difference (I never liked the firmness/crashiness of the old P),

Problem is Tesla fed us all the model 3 as a taster and overall we loved it, the problem is now well in my case the kids are getting bigger and older and the model 3 is a squeeze in the back with three, but there is no Model X or S to buy in the UK as these are all Left hand drive which renders it pointless, get us hooked with the proviso of moving up cos we like it then withdrawing the option completely, bit of a PITA tbh.

I had a test drive in the Highland Model 3 Performance yesterday. This was the first time I'd had a test drive with Tesla and I was amazed at how laid-back they were! I showed my driving licence and agreed to some terms and then I was given the key-card and the sales lady said "see you in about an hour?"! Brilliant.

So, first impressions were good. I much prefer the front styling to the "old" M3 - it just looks sleeker and, well, to me, nicer. Likewise, inside the materials are good and the performance seats really nice (more on that in a moment). Once out on the road, I have to be honest and say I didn't notice any difference in performance from my 2020 M3P - both are blindingly fast! I deliberately chose a route with several roundabouts as I have serious reservations about putting the indicators on the steering wheel. Now, remember that these are just my opinions, but I found the indicators just appalling to use. No problem when indicating on a straight stretch of road of course, but when indicating to come off a roundabout exit just awful. No doubt you'd soon get used to it. Why you have to "get used" to such a daft idea I don't know.

Coming from an Intel 2020 car I appreciated the so-called "High Fidelity Park Assist", though I find the curious blobby appearance a bit weird when you see how slickly other cars do it and I'm not convinced of its accuracy compared to USS. Obviously I was unable to test the matrix lights. The ride didn't seem very different to my 2020 car though I didn't do into the menus to do any adjustment. Oh, back to those seats - I loved 'em, but my partner, who is erm.... a bit broad in the backside area, hated them! She kept telling me so too....

So, I won't be putting in an order but will probably update my car to a 2023 M3P to get the lights, power boot, heat pump etc. For me, the wheel-based indicators are almost a deal-breaker but others will be less bothered I'm sure.
I waited for the new M3P to be announced and in the end ordered a M3LR. The seats above everything else is why I didn’t go for it. If you want to put in sports seats, they need adjustable side bolsters else some are just going to find it uncomfortable. I’m not tracking the car, I want comfort and these seats I don’t think will work for everyone.

My gut feeling (haven't test drove one yet, but have driven a Highland base model) is basically:
  • It's what the Performance should have been from the start in terms of visual distinction from LR. I was always slightly miffed that the only visual difference between LR and P was some tokenistic, easily bought & fitted things - stuck down spoiler, red calipers, wheels and a red line on a badge - whoop-de-do, but I accepted that "it is what it is". But now it isn't and I'm reminded that Tesla basically just couldn't be bothered when I bought my car.

• The pre-Highland seats are in my opinion the worst thing about my Performance. The fact it has the same "one size fits all" comfort-focused seat is lame. I would move in my seat when trying to drive spiritedly. I'm sure the ones in the new car are a big improvement, just from looking at them. Again this should have been the case from the start. To somewhat counter @FastLaneJB I suspect they aren't uncomfortable, just "figure hugging" - they aren't proper race seats.

• I wish it was a bit more balls out, given we don't get a RHD S anymore. 600bhp and carbon wrapped motors front AND rear ought to have been achieveable if Tesla had been prepared to shoot for the stars. As it is I suspect it's probably not night and day different to my current M3P.

• The fact the Europe model is down 50bhp in peak power and also some torque due to the 82kW vs 79kW battery differences is annoying. I don't like the idea of having a version that is not quite as fast as it could be, especially given.....

• 9.8% APR and by far the highest price for the car anywhere in the World is egregious. I won't be buying while the APR is that high, and I'm not buying outright again after I got creamed on my car. There was no benefit to having bought it outright back in 2020, and had I put that money in the stock market instead - even on Tesla shares - well, I don't want to think about it too much.
So yeah - I will contemplate one at some point, probably look more towards the end of the year if/when interest rates and the price come down, or maybe even wait until a mid-refresh bump with front bumper camera, etc.

My gut feeling (haven't test drove one yet, but have driven a Highland base model) is basically:
  • It's what the Performance should have been from the start in terms of visual distinction from LR. I was always slightly miffed that the only visual difference between LR and P was some tokenistic, easily bought & fitted things - stuck down spoiler, red calipers, wheels and a red line on a badge - whoop-de-do, but I accepted that "it is what it is". But now it isn't and I'm reminded that Tesla basically just couldn't be bothered when I bought my car.

• The pre-Highland seats are in my opinion the worst thing about my Performance. The fact it has the same "one size fits all" comfort-focused seat is lame. I would move in my seat when trying to drive spiritedly. I'm sure the ones in the new car are a big improvement, just from looking at them. Again this should have been the case from the start. To somewhat counter @FastLaneJB I suspect they aren't uncomfortable, just "figure hugging" - they aren't proper race seats.

• I wish it was a bit more balls out, given we don't get a RHD S anymore. 600bhp and carbon wrapped motors front AND rear ought to have been achieveable if Tesla had been prepared to shoot for the stars. As it is I suspect it's probably not night and day different to my current M3P.

• The fact the Europe model is down 50bhp in peak power and also some torque due to the 82kW vs 79kW battery differences is annoying. I don't like the idea of having a version that is not quite as fast as it could be, especially given.....

• 9.8% APR and by far the highest price for the car anywhere in the World is egregious. I won't be buying while the APR is that high, and I'm not buying outright again after I got creamed on my car. There was no benefit to having bought it outright back in 2020, and had I put that money in the stock market instead - even on Tesla shares - well, I don't want to think about it too much.
So yeah - I will contemplate one at some point, probably look more towards the end of the year if/when interest rates and the price come down, or maybe even wait until a mid-refresh bump with front bumper camera, etc.
I'll try one at some point to see around the seats but just saying I've seen a few reviews and comments that suggest the seats are not comfortable if you have a larger frame. One size does not fit all.

Cost a bit extra but adjustable side bolsters could have avoided this. Also why you'll see some makes that offer comfort seats as a no cost option in their cars to replace the sports seats. They'll win some sales with these seats but lose some also I think.

I guess I've come from a few more expensive cars but they'd all relax the bolsters when in comfort mode for a long trip and tighten them up in sports mode. Best of both worlds then. The E63 actually in the past would pump up just the bolster on the side needed when you cornered quickly and then deflated it again.

Reactions: phil4 and Durzel