Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland (US) Waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my theory is that VIN assignment and transport is bottlenecked at the local delivery centers output.

car gets produced (not assigned) > local delivery center goes down their list of assigned buyers to their location > local delivery center checks for schedule and parking lot space > VIN assigned > car transported > delivery scheduled.

I think the issues that can happen are:
  • car unloaded from transport and fails PDI (post delivery inspection) > car goes to repair. maybe VIN unassigned here or delivery delayed
  • local delivery center parking lot is full (customer delayed pickups) > car goes to offsite storage and back of PDI queue
  • customer cancels order after/during transport > local delivery center go back to their list and because human error picks customers out of order
  • PDI repaired car moves to 'inventory' list > local delivery center go back to their list and because human error picks customers out of order
  • customer rejects car at delivery > car moves to repair > car moves to 'inventory' > local delivery center go back to their list and because human error picks customers out of order
if you have another delivery center option near by that is not your assigned location, it might be worth it to see if your delivery contact can check inventory there. When I got my 2018 model3 I was assigned to pick up in one location, but my VIN assignment got removed because it needed repair. The delivery person was able to check inventory at a location 50 miles away and assign a car to me at that location, which I immediately drove to for a pick up.

my theory is that VIN assignment and transport is bottlenecked at the local delivery centers output.

car gets produced (not assigned) > local delivery center goes down their list of assigned buyers to their location > local delivery center checks for schedule and parking lot space > VIN assigned > car transported > delivery scheduled.

I think the issues that can happen are:
  • car unloaded from transport and fails PDI (post delivery inspection) > car goes to repair. maybe VIN unassigned here or delivery delayed
  • local delivery center parking lot is full (customer delayed pickups) > car goes to offsite storage and back of PDI queue
  • customer cancels order after/during transport > local delivery center go back to their list and because human error picks customers out of order
  • PDI repaired car moves to 'inventory' list > local delivery center go back to their list and because human error picks customers out of order
  • customer rejects car at delivery > car moves to repair > car moves to 'inventory' > local delivery center go back to their list and because human error picks customers out of order
if you have another delivery center option near by that is not your assigned location, it might be worth it to see if your delivery contact can check inventory there. When I got my 2018 model3 I was assigned to pick up in one location, but my VIN assignment got removed because it needed repair. The delivery person was able to check inventory at a location 50 miles away and assign a car to me at that location, which I immediately drove to for a pick up.
But you need to go the Delivery Center for that?

And to add more to it - I contacted the agent from the Tesla app, and the agent said (s)he has not seen any white interior M3 delivered so far (assuming he/she meant the delivery center my account is associated with in Austin TX). It sucks that Tesla never communicates it at all (other than keep giving fake EDD) given they already knew the production issues (or maybe a “preference”) and planned for it

Reactions: zoomer0056
After 4 days I messaged my sales advisor and he reached out to his team and the offer showed up a few hours later.
Thanks kingdomino. Funny. I reached out to the SAs, since you mentioned it, and they stated they do Offers in order of order date (which I find hard to believe). But, within 30 minutes after their reply I got an offer. I've checked with Carvana, Carmax, Autonation (local SD I think), and a couple others, and was just waiting to hear back from Telsa. Tesla was the best, plus they're giving 5000 miles free charging too with the trade in. Will be good for road trips.