Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HUD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MusQueTear

Aug 15, 2017
NL
While waiting for the Model 3 Hud... temporarily a smartphone :(

upload_2018-3-23_9-47-55.png

I test drove the new Honda Accord touring last week, the HUD was pretty nice, although I think I'd like it to display more information, you only get two things up at once - speed and one other interchangeable item. I think a 3rd item would be ideal. Also, I know some HUD displays have multiple colors which is nice.

It's really not needed. You won't understand just how easy it is to see the speed until you drive one. I actually find it much easier to see the speed on the middle screen than when it's behind the wheel because I drive with my hand on top of the wheel a lot which blocks a more traditional placement of the speed. Hud isn't needed.

Last edited:
It's really not needed. You won't understand just how easy it is to see the speed until you drive one. I actually find it much easier to see the speed on the middle screen than when it's behind the wheel because I drove with my hand on top of the wheel a lot which blocks a more traditional placement of the speed. Hud isn't needed.

HUD option...

Yes, I see your point. Actually we drive ourselves now in a Leaf with navigation on smartphone at about the same dashboard position as M3 display... Is okay. But I like the topright HUD picture. People overhere in the dutch Tesla forum with realworld HUD experience also have very different opinions I notice..!

HUD as option would be nice.... :)

Reactions: fmcotton
My one time driving a Model 3 it was 10 minutes before I even thought about the location of the speedometer it was so easy to see.

It was something I was slightly concerned about and it turned out to be a nonissue.

If there ever was a HUD, I'd rather it display boxes around whatever the autopilot cameras were "seeing". Preferably with an option to launch missiles when I got a good tone! :cool:

I feel for a 50k+ car (current price) it should have a HUD. I think having map/ turn by turn directions directly in front of you is helpful. I know many here defend decision of keeping it off but at the price segment its in it needs to have certain luxuries to keep up with the competition. Leave it up to the driver's whether they want to switch the HUD on or off, choice is good for all.

I feel for a 50k+ car (current price) it should have a HUD. I think having map/ turn by turn directions directly in front of you is helpful. I know many here defend decision of keeping it off but at the price segment its in it needs to have certain luxuries to keep up with the competition. Leave it up to the driver's whether they want to switch the HUD on or off, choice is good for all.
That's fine to leave it up to the driver to decide (aftermarket), but this driver and his DW find that HUD is a distraction and a useless toy. My current car has an OEM HUD with a center display binnacle. HUD was a fun toy the first week with the car. Then it became a distraction. Now we either turn it off or ignore it. We rely on audio prompts from the UI for driving directions. It works great and I expect the same for my long awaited model 3. HUD is now old school in the model 3 price segment. TESLA is taking driving to the next level with verbal and audio commands, no need for a HUD, and this price segment will eventually follow suit.

The only way I would bother adding a HUD is if the main screen was customizable and let me remove it from the display and gain the screen real estate for other purposes. Otherwise it's just redundant.
Haven't driven, and I don't use visual turn-by-turn, but it sounds like the turn-by-turn is already in real estate that you wouldn't use anyway, so having that project up on hud at important times would have merit without being able to customize the screen.

Haven't driven, and I don't use visual turn-by-turn, but it sounds like the turn-by-turn is already in real estate that you wouldn't use anyway, so having that project up on hud at important times would have merit without being able to customize the screen.
Agree. But I am assuming 3rd party .. I don't see Tesla offering this after the fact, and I don't know how a 3rd party would display the nav turn by turn info