Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did it go?

Easy peezy. I didn't lose my homelink or seat / radio settings... "However" kinda weird... It showed my FM radio favorites next to any streaming ones... But when you clicked the radio ones they did absolutely nothing. Like the screen didnt' work. Everything else worked fine.

I had to re-add them but because I could see them It took 10 seconds to go into the FM scanner and click the STAR. So somehow that deleted, but still showed. Weird bug. Now my car see's cones and lights :)

I added the appointment from the app without any invitation for HW3. Got the car back in 2018 .. requested an FSD upgrade they took the car in yesterday for the upgrade VIN 99k :D

Figured I’d try it; setup a request via app last night. Got a text this morning. VIN is eligible and they’re ordering the HW for me. - scheduled for 3/17. VIN 211xxx ... April 2019 build. Probably one of the very last off the line before the HW3 cutover.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
Figured I’d try it; setup a request via app last night. Got a text this morning. VIN is eligible and they’re ordering the HW for me. - scheduled for 3/17. VIN 211xxx ... April 2019 build. Probably one of the very last off the line before the HW3 cutover.

Interesting, mine is a March 2019 build but VIN is higher than yours: 236xxx.
Dropped mine off on Tuesday morning, service advisor said they're really backed up (so why even bother to take my car in? anyway..) and gave it a week to completion.
However, I got a notification on my phone a bit ago that a software update was complete (not sure to what, mobile access is disabled), so it should be done soon hopefully.

Anyway, I think they're doing all Model 3s now, regardless of VIN or build date.
Older Model S & X are next apparently. They've probably been waiting the longest!

Interesting, mine is a March 2019 build but VIN is higher than yours: 236xxx.
Anyway I think they're doing all Model 3s now, regardless of VIN or build date.
Older Model S & X are next apparently. They've probably been waiting the longest!

Given that VINs are assigned to batches before they're run, I'm guessing mine was assigned but maybe ran after your P3D batch...? Doesn't matter - the ASSumption that VINs are sequential is a red herring; they're not.

Now that said - I agree, the older model S&X folks have been waiting longest, but - just like the VIN thing - I'm sure the HW3 modules aren't built sequentially either.

Remember, on S/X, the "autopilot computer" is a separate module from the entertainment/connectivity computer. On Model 3, they're sandwiched into a single package.

So bear in mind that when doing the HW3 upgrade on Model 3, it really *is* a brain transplant. Both computers get replaced at the same time. Model S/X is a lot less "intrusive" if you will.

While that's true- now that they're offering an MCU1->MCU2 upgrade while doing the HW3 upgrade it's actually MORE invasive on those cars since they also have to replace the dash display and other stuff.

Sure, for MCU1 vehicles, it's certainly a bigger process. But for the MCU2/AP2.5 crowd, it's a much simpler swap.

But swinging back to Model 3 for a second... I know when HW3 first hit, there were many complaints about the backup camera being choppy. Is that still the case? I know the "blackout" problem has gone away on my HW2.5 car. Would hate to induce a problem by moving to HW3.

Scheduled for the retrofit tomorrow and received a text confirmation and email invoice today! Interestingly the invoice says retrofit and rewire? I can’t seem to access the invoice now that I esigned it otherwise I would post a screenshot. Will report back after!

No luck here in Long Island, NY. I scheduled the appointment to upgrade to HW3 but appointment was cancelled.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-03-06-09-16-01-247_com.android.mms.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-03-06-09-16-01-247_com.android.mms.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 88
How long are you guys seeing between making the appointment and getting a "real" reply from the SC either way?

(I don't mean the automated text and email you get the same day- I mean the actual "Yes, we're seriously going to do some work here's an invoice" or "Nope, no work for you!" notice)

No change there, same ~290 miles estimated as when I dropped it off.

Interested to see if spring changes the estimate.
I'm not sure if they did a reset to mine, but my StatsApp was showing a downward trend through winter (my app consistently showed between 285-289 as a full charge). After they finished my car, they put it on the charger and when I checked last night it was showing a max of 295 miles. Fair disclosure: I've also done two 20-90% charges in the last two weeks.

• Helpful
Reactions: C141medic
How long are you guys seeing between making the appointment and getting a "real" reply from the SC either way?

(I don't mean the automated text and email you get the same day- I mean the actual "Yes, we're seriously going to do some work here's an invoice" or "Nope, no work for you!" notice)

I didn’t have any real reply until yesterday for my appointment today and I booked the first available over two weeks ago.

• Informative
Reactions: Knightshade