Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Interior: Ugh!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the reveal I've been concerned about the instrument layout. Not only is having the only instruments in the center fugly, it's not ergonomic.

Agreed 100%. As an MS owner, the integrated flow of the dash, screen, doors is what impressed me from the start. (In addition to electric, power, music at my fingertips etc etc).

I'm not sure if I can justify spending even 45-50K usd with options on a car which seems like the interior was not well planned and lacks even a basic sense of style. 15" vs 17" screen sure... Horizontal vs vertical...sure. No HUD...sure but it's been around for abt a decade now so not sure why not given no additional cluster.

If Elon is building this for FSD and believes driver feedback and input is not required, then ensure FSD is around first and is viable! If not, a healthy transition may have been hud.

Tesla please don't just stick a screen onto the dash like an afterthought and have this protruding screen looking like it doesn't belong!

I'm not an M3 naysayer as my family has 2 on order (parents etc)...just voicing concerns on the interior.

No. I am a Model 3 reservation holder. I ordered it hoping it will be an overall good package. EVs have good torque but bad range and charging time compared to gas cars. So it is a trade off. Many will cancel because of charging speed and frequency compared to gas cars. If I cancel it will be because of that.
Also, the interior is just too bland for my taste.
Many who reserved the model 3 reserved it because it it a nice car with autopilot. But many people don't actually need a car. I have an A4 and I will switch only if the Model 3 is overall a better car. Charging speed and interior quality also matter.
Yes EVs have better torque but that is not the only factor.
It will match a StarFleet uniform, which is what we will all be wearing in the future.
But seriously, Tesla vs ICE is more than just torque and range.
The whole experience is different.. driving response, home fueling, no vibration, app connectivity, low maintenance, big screen, frunk, no smoke, no smell, no noise...

Reactions: gavine
The recent photos of the dash look exactly the same as during the reveal last year.
Why is everyone suddenly surprised?

Only because it was stated that the displayed models at the grand unveil were a 'work in process' and not the final iteration. I believe Elon tweeted there would be at least 2 'surprises' before actual production. And what were they?
1. Model 3 won't be AWD until 2018 and
2. Supercharging will not be unlimited. Surprises alright! Lol.

I'm just curious to see whether Tesla is actually aok with a screen jutting out like a sore thumb in an otherwise well crafted exterior :)

Reactions: Volare3 and AlanSqB
Some have suggested a floating display is required so as to save on additional complexities when assembling left-hand or right hand drive vehicles.

If the dashboard is completely symmetric, why can't the display be embedded (or attached by connector like in removable radio faces or even held by mounts ala mounted tablet holders for ease of removal/repair) anyway?

Only because it was stated that the displayed models at the grand unveil were a 'work in process' and not the final iteration. I believe Elon tweeted there would be at least 2 'surprises' before actual production. And what were they?
1. Model 3 won't be AWD until 2018 and
2. Supercharging will not be unlimited. Surprises alright! Lol.

I'm just curious to see whether Tesla is actually aok with a screen jutting out like a sore thumb in an otherwise well crafted exterior :)
I'm curious whether NHTSA is actually aok with a screen jutting out like a sore thumb.
Robin

Agreed 100%. As an MS owner, the integrated flow of the dash, screen, doors is what impressed me from the start. (In addition to electric, power, music at my fingertips etc etc).

I'm not sure if I can justify spending even 45-50K usd with options on a car which seems like the interior was not well planned and lacks even a basic sense of style. 15" vs 17" screen sure... Horizontal vs vertical...sure. No HUD...sure but it's been around for abt a decade now so not sure why not given no additional cluster.

If Elon is building this for FSD and believes driver feedback and input is not required, then ensure FSD is around first and is viable! If not, a healthy transition may have been hud.

Tesla please don't just stick a screen onto the dash like an afterthought and have this protruding screen looking like it doesn't belong!

I'm not an M3 naysayer as my family has 2 on order (parents etc)...just voicing concerns on the interior.

Keep in mind the Model 3 interior was designed after Model S, based on what was learned and based on future autopilot features. So if you think the Model 3 display wasn't well planned then I'm not sure what that says about Model S.

There are two main options when you know the planned path for autopilot. Design a car around it now as to futureproof it, or design a car with no foresight and obsolete certain features in two years adding more cost and complexity in the short term.

Reactions: T34ME
I've been accused of being a "Tesla hater/troll", but I'm speaking 100% candidly here without adding any anti-Tesla bias: the Model 3's interior (if the final version is pretty much what we've already seen) is simply cheap looking. Not cheap like a $9k Nissan Versa cheap, but cheap for Tesla's established standards.

When one hears "Tesla", words that usually also come to mind are "luxury", "cutting-edge", and "expensive". The 3's interior brings words and phrases like "cost cutting", "cheap", and "economy" to mind. Tesla may be a victim of its own success, as many people were envisioning the Model 3 as a smaller Model S with all the tech and half the price. Hence the ongoing 3 undercutting campaign by Elon to try and reel in expectations that have grown out of control.

I've been accused of being a "Tesla hater/troll", but I'm speaking 100% candidly here without adding any anti-Tesla bias: the Model 3's interior (if the final version is pretty much what we've already seen) is simply cheap looking. Not cheap like a $9k Nissan Versa cheap, but cheap for Tesla's established standards.

When one hears "Tesla", words that usually also come to mind are "luxury", "cutting-edge", and "expensive". The 3's interior brings words and phrases like "cost cutting", "cheap", and "economy" to mind. Tesla may be a victim of its own success, as many people were envisioning the Model 3 as a smaller Model S with all the tech and half the price. Hence the ongoing 3 undercutting campaign by Elon to try and reel in expectations that have grown out of control.

What he just said.

You can't really say the interior of the Model S was luxurious by any standard. It was designed to serve a purpose instead of merely aesthetics. Saying it looks "cheap" is subjective.

However, when you ask yourself, "does it serve the purpose it was designed for" then the answer will be yes.

Is it "cheap" because it's both simple and elegant?
Is it "cheap" because it doesn't have a second screen?
Is it "cheap" because the display isn't integrated into the dash giving it a camel like appearance?
Is it "cheap" because the center screen now faces both the driver and the passenger instead of just the driver?
Is it "cheap" because the display is horizontal instead of vertical even though 100% of the owners are more familiar with horizontal displays?

We really have to ask ourselves, "What does it mean to look 'cheap'"? Is it simply a knee jerk, gut, reaction to something we're unfamiliar with?

You really need to try to explain why you think it looks "cheap". Do you think the materials look cheap? is to too spartan? is it just too different to what you are used to? Normally I think of cheap interiors having crappy materials, crappy button feel. I also think small screens (especially if monochrome) are "cheap". I used to think almost all GM interiors were cheap, although I think they have actually gotten a lot nicer in the last few years.

I really like the design direction of the low dash. Having made that decision the only way to do the screen is to have it floating. I would like somebody who thinks the screen should be set into the dash to photoshop how they think it should look. I don't think there is anyway to do it while keeping the low dash.

I think the average person is going to get in and be wowed by the giant floating screen and think it looks "high-tech". It will certainly be unique among anything out there.

Who knows, it could actually be "cheap" and crappily made, but you can't tell that from any of the photos.

I am a "Tesla hater/troll", but I'm speaking 100% candidly here without adding any anti-Tesla bias: the Model 3's interior (if the final version is pretty much what we've already seen) is simply cheap looking. Not cheap like a $9k Nissan Versa cheap, but cheap for Tesla's established standards.

I fixed that for you. You are welcome to talk candidly, it's appreciated, but lets not ignore your considerable body of work on this site...okay?

Keep in mind that although the Model 3 body strongly resembles the Model S, the competition is not a 1/2 priced S, but the Leaf, BMW i3, Bolt, et al.

Regarding the dash, IMO, there's a striking contrast between the stuck-on cluttered and recycled newspaper look of the i3 and the "mostly" clean look of the M3. Like most things in life, it's a matter of opinion and acclimation.

The Model 3 is not Teslas "luxury", "cutting edge" or "expensive" model, It is thier mass market sedan. It's only true rival is the Bolt, a 5 seat electric vehicle with 240ish miles of range for 35ish thousand dollars, not a Model S. If I had to choose between the bolt or model 3 interior I choose the model 3 every day.

When a car is revealed, it is normally a concept and moves towards a more finalized version of the car a year or two later. Why wouldn't you think it would change?

I wasn't following Tesla with the Model X, but I know I've seen older versions of the interior with the screen not integrated into the dash -- so obviously showing iterations of the car leading up to release is not new for them.

The recent photos of the dash look exactly the same as during the reveal last year.
Why is everyone suddenly surprised?

Reactions: alseTrick
I think it is mostly cheap because it lacks detail - something typical of cheaper cars. They could have made the car simple, yet still appear classy, elegant, premium..they probably just ran out of budget and figured 'lets slap some wood on the dash and call it a day'

Is it "cheap" because it's both simple and elegant? no
Is it "cheap" because it doesn't have a second screen? yes
Is it "cheap" because the display isn't integrated into the dash giving it a camel like appearance? yes
Is it "cheap" because the center screen now faces both the driver and the passenger instead of just the driver? no
Is it "cheap" because the display is horizontal instead of vertical even though 100% of the owners are more familiar with horizontal displays? no