Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 236832
Saw this courtesy of QwiksilverA4 on the Model3OwnersClub... arrows next to the scroll wheels, a la Model S/X.

Cool. Up and down scroll, plus bump-right and bump-left. Nice.

When people say vinyl they generally mean PVC and it is pretty nasty stuff, especially when you put all the additives in it to keep it from having issues like cracking. Softex is a completely different polymer, made from polyurethanes as you said. Just because something else is also a synthetic polymer doesn't mean it's like vinyl though.

For example Alcantara, which everyone drools over these days it seems, is a polyester/polyurethane blend.

Check out the "Pleather" thread on this site. Very informative on the "leather vs synthetic" debate.

Someone mentioned in another thread that the scroll wheel is similar to the left one on the new MDX. That wheel toggles left/right, not separate buttons. You can press the wheel though as one button.
2017_gallery_The_MDX_heated_steering_wheel_warms_your_hands_and_fingers_when_the_weather_turns_cold_INTERIOR_WHEEL.jpg

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/QS/AH/BTZ51717OG/enu/BTZ51717OG.PDF

From manual page 58:
"Steering Wheel Controls
Operate certain functions of the audio system using the steering wheel controls.
Left selector wheel: Roll up or down to adjust volume. Press to mute. Move (or hold) left or right to change stations or tracks."

What's amazing is that Model 3 will have all of the features of this Acura in the picture above, but without this clutter. Think about it: everything you see above, but not just vomited out in buttons and gauges taking up every square inch. So impressed with the Model 3 design philosophy.

• Love
Reactions: kbM3, Runt8 and GSP
What's amazing is that Model 3 will have all of the features of this Acura in the picture above, but without this clutter. Think about it: everything you see above, but not just vomited out in buttons and gauges taking up every square inch. So impressed with the Model 3 design philosophy.

Well, glad you like it. Wife and I didn't. Once I saw what the dash was going to look like a few months ago, we cancelled our M3 order. To us, that screen sticking out of the dash looks like a 3rd party add on after-thought. I'm guessing it is going to be easily damaged. We are looking for something else as a new car for the son.

Well, glad you like it. Wife and I didn't. Once I saw what the dash was going to look like a few months ago, we cancelled our M3 order. To us, that screen sticking out of the dash looks like a 3rd party add on after-thought. I'm guessing it is going to be easily damaged. We are looking for something else as a new car for the son.
Seems to have been a bit of knee-jerk reaction don't you think? You didn't feel it was at least worth laying eyes on and experiencing first hand before cancelling? There was no harm at least keeping yourself in the line. Unless you are that adamant and nothing would change your mind, then I guess it made no point to keep your reservation.

Reactions: X Fan
Seems to have been a bit of knee-jerk reaction don't you think? You didn't feel it was at least worth laying eyes on and experiencing first hand before cancelling? There was no harm at least keeping yourself in the line. Unless you are that adamant and nothing would change your mind, then I guess it made no point to keep your reservation.

Woooo, your assumption is wrong. We saw it in person during partial build! I get to both factories at least twice each quarter.

Now, now, don't scold. Not everything suits everyone. At least not immediately.

If it's a good idea it'll win out in the end and most cars will become this way. If it's a bad idea, it'll lose out in the end. The market will decide :)

I'm glad you said this. I totally agree. I hope you weren't replying to me. We aren't scolding. We just don't like it, but surely others will.

Get him a tired, old Camry or old Volvo station wagon that some architect used to own. It will break, make him wrench on it with a friend who knows these things. He will love that car, and hate it too- but it will forever be burned into his memory as one of the best cars he ever owned. Give him a new car, he won't learn a thing, he won't appreciate how nice it is, and is robbed of the joy of earning a new car.

Get him a tired, old Camry or old Volvo station wagon that some architect used to own. It will break, make him wrench on it with a friend who knows these things. He will love that car, and hate it too- but it will forever be burned into his memory as one of the best cars he ever owned. Give him a new car, he won't learn a thing, he won't appreciate how nice it is, and is robbed of the joy of earning a new car.

Uh, we are baffled by your posting from a new member. Wondering who you are talking about. Can't be me, but you did quote me. If taking the time to look at the tagline, one would see we already own an MX and we sure like the looks of it's interior better than the M3. YET, maybe you have a good idea..... I buy a tired old Volvo and weld steal I-beams to the front and back and give it to the son. Then I won't worry about him wrecking it. :eek:

Woooo, your assumption is wrong. We saw it in person during partial build! I get to both factories at least twice each quarter.
Well, no need to get snippy. My point still stands that just because you "saw it in person during partial build" really has no bearing on actually sitting in the driver seat, actually interacting with it, actually touching it to see how sturdy it is, etc. Surely the myriad of Tesla engineers have taken into consideration the pros/cons of this design decision.

Believe me, I am not overly in love with it either, but I am at least willing to give it a shot before considering other options.

• Disagree
Reactions: X Fan and FlyF4

There's another active thread discussing the difficulty of closing the Model S sunroof without accidentally hanging up on an incoming or active bluetooth phone call. Answer phone or close roof.

Having dedicated buttons isn't all bad. Attempting to Apple-fy things and oversimplify controls can sometimes backfire. Form should follow function, not the other way around. (IMO)

Uh, we are baffled by your posting from a new member. Wondering who you are talking about. Can't be me, but you did quote me. If taking the time to look at the tagline, one would see we already own an MX and we sure like the looks of it's interior better than the M3. YET, maybe you have a good idea..... I buy a tired old Volvo and weld steal I-beams to the front and back and give it to the son. Then I won't worry about him wrecking it. :eek:

Apologies for leaving you in a baffled condition. I look forward to earning message board enlightenment around post 300. ;)

Last edited:
There's another active thread discussing the difficulty of closing the Model S sunroof without accidentally hanging up on an incoming or active bluetooth phone call. Answer phone or close roof.

Having dedicated buttons isn't all bad. Attempting to Apple-fy things and oversimplify controls can sometimes backfire. Form should follow function, not the other way around. (IMO)

Actually, I would say that this is the sort of problem that is much easier to fix when you change change the UI in software. If you have an equivalent usability problem with physical buttons (and believe me, I've seen them all the time in crappy car designs) you are stuck.

Reactions: FlyF4

1) Technically it won't because somethings aren't applicable to an EV, you won't see RPM's for example which are shown in your picture
2) You're making some assumptions about Model 3 features that haven't been announced yet, especially on the base model. It's very possible this Acura has more stuff than the base Model 3 will - Heck I still have no idea how I'll even see blinking indicators without an instrument cluster.
3) The lack of steering wheel buttons on the Model 3 is something I see as a negative. I'd rather have features like taking a phone call, or setting Cruse Control from the steering wheel, so far with only 2 scroll wheels I'm not seeing any obvious way to do those things from the wheel of the Model 3.

Reactions: Phrixotrichus