Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Key Fob yes/no?

Key Fob or no thank you?

• Yes - Key Fob me!

Votes: 219 59.3%
  • No Fob for me, thank you.

Votes: 150 40.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My order from Amazon arrived today...Here's what I'll be using to carry my Model 3 credit card key on one side with my work badge on the other side....

tesla3lanyard.jpg

We have had the Model 3 for a month. I love it (my phone works), but my wife is annoyed with her phone not getting recognized and the car not responding to her phone to unlock the car. I have tried to debug her phone, but the best I can do is reboot her phone for the car to see it. I have tried repairing the phone with the keycard, clearing her phone's cache, clearing her BT settings, but after a while the phone isn't recognized.

When Her Phone Isn't Recognized:
1) Car doesn't respond as she walks up
2) Dig out her phone from her purse
3) Unlock phone
4) Find and open Tesla app
5) Wait for Tesla app to connect to car
6) Press the unlock button in app
7) Press the remote drive button in app
or
2) Search for key card in her purse
3) Tap card against B pillar
4) Put key card in cupholder to start the car

I would pay extra for a key fob (also easily open the front trunk). I know it will never happen, but the phone issue is big enough for my wife to not want to drive the Model 3 anymore. :-/ She feels unsafe in a parking lot, she gets rained on longer than needed, and it is just annoying. I get her frustration.

Ideally the phone Bluetooth issues get resolved with a SW update, but for now...it is a real problem that needs to get addressed. She just wants to easily get in the car and drive away. That isn't too much to ask. Hopefully this gets resolved soon.

I would pay extra for a key fob (also easily open the front trunk). I know it will never happen, but the phone issue is big enough for my wife to not want to drive the Model 3 anymore. :-/ She feels unsafe in a parking lot, she gets rained on longer than needed, and it is just annoying. I get her frustration.

Ideally the phone Bluetooth issues get resolved with a SW update, but for now...it is a real problem that needs to get addressed. She just wants to easily get in the car and drive away. That isn't too much to ask. Hopefully this gets resolved soon.

Are you letting Tesla know this? Maybe through the escalation process... (My preference is for them to offer an option fob.)

We have had the Model 3 for a month. I love it (my phone works), but my wife is annoyed with her phone not getting recognized and the car not responding to her phone to unlock the car. I have tried to debug her phone, but the best I can do is reboot her phone for the car to see it. I have tried repairing the phone with the keycard, clearing her phone's cache, clearing her BT settings, but after a while the phone isn't recognized.

When Her Phone Isn't Recognized:
2) Dig out her phone from her purse
3) Unlock phone
4) Find and open Tesla app
5) Wait for Tesla app to connect to car
6) Press the unlock button in app
7) Press the remote drive button in app
or
2) Search for key card in her purse
3) Tap card against B pillar
4) Put key card in cupholder to start the car

If when you launch the app on your wife’s phone it connects and works, the problem probably is that it isn’t running in the background prior to that. Apps will get quit due to memory pressure and if it isn’t running when you approach the car it won’t unlock. Or does the app not show it’s connecting as a key when you run it (you have to do remote unlock)?

Tonight was the first time I had to dig into my purse, unlock my phone, go into the app and push “unlock” to get in my car. Annoying in a dark parking lot with hubby waiting impatiently to get in. Would have rather just grabbed a fob and double clicked.

Hopefully that doesn’t happen too often with all the various ways phones can have issues.

Belt and suspenders.

It'd be nice to have the Phone as the primary method, a keyfob as a quick backup / alternate, and the card as the fail safe if the fob battery and phone are dead.

What's taking longer is getting used to not having a bulge in my front pocket when walking about away from home.
Hot iron the Model S fob or melt the key card into a shape of Model 3. Bet they are close to the same bulk.

Btw, I'm with you on loving the car - great to hear you are loving it as well - It is a great vehicle no doubt about it. But the waiting to unlock issue is a headache.

If when you launch the app on your wife’s phone it connects and works, the problem probably is that it isn’t running in the background prior to that. Apps will get quit due to memory pressure and if it isn’t running when you approach the car it won’t unlock. Or does the app not show it’s connecting as a key when you run it (you have to do remote unlock)?
Some additional data points:
- Her phone is successfully paired to the car via Bluetooth. She can play music from her phone on the car audio. Her phone is "Connected" in the Bluetooth settings on the car...so the car sees her BT connection.
- The Tesla app will successfully connect to the backend and unlock the car
- The Tesla app shows "Disconnected" under the "PHONE KEY" feature...and this seems to be the main problem, since this should show "Connected" when you get in range of BT and the car will unlock when you get even closer.
- "Force Stop" the app and re-launching the Tesla App didn't fix the problem
- "Clear Data" and "Clear Cache" from the Tesla App and re-entering login information didn't fix the problem
- Rebooting the Model 3 car didn't fix the problem
- Rebooting my wife's phone has currently resolved the problem, but this doesn't permanently fix the problem.

I say this as an Android user who would never own an iOS device if I can help it, but I fear that while the phone key functionality might turn out to be fairly reliable on iOS devices (if for no other reason than there are so very few variations to test / support), that Android functionality is likely to be patchy and rough and not even in a predictable way (fail to work consistently on cheapo phone? expected. fail to work on a Google Pixel? NOT expected!).

The more cars they deliver, the more they deliver which are more affordable, the more pushback and heat they're going to get from people frustrated with this. We shouldn't have to buy new phones (no bets on whether it works well on my older HTC One m9 if the Pixel - which isn't that old - doesn't work well!) to use the car.

Am I correct that you have to pull the card out and touch it to the B pillar and set in a certain spot and you can't leave it in your butt pocket and enter and operate the car?
It should work through your wallet, but it still needs to be touched (or very close) to the B-pillar. Once inside, it needs to be touched to the center console behind the cupholders. Again, it should work through your wallet, but won't work with it still in your pocket.

It should work through your wallet, but it still needs to be touched (or very close) to the B-pillar. Once inside, it needs to be touched to the center console behind the cupholders. Again, it should work through your wallet, but won't work with it still in your pocket.

Actually, that second part isn't true. If you've just unlocked the car with the card and get in and press the brake pedal right away you don't need to touch the card to the center console.

That is my understanding too. In my opinion, this is the biggest fail on the part of Tesla - bigger than ride quality, Al Cantara, size of rear view mirror, etc. Tesla better get this fixed and fast. Toyota has had the SKS fob system for years. Small fob never leaves your pocket, purse, or hanging as a nose ring. Touch the door handle when leaving and it locks. Touch the door handle as you walk up and it unlocks (trunk too).

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic