Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Keyfob updated on Tesla shop to include passive entry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted the link earlier.

How do I pair my Key Fob?
To pair a Key Fob to your Model 3, go to the Locks tab in Controls on your touchscreen. Follow the onscreen prompts to add a new key. Once paired, the key list displays the new Key Fob, and you can customize the name of Key Fobs or unpair them.

Thx. I guess it's VERY simple compared to say my Highlander (dealer wants $200!)

Not sure if folks don't realize, but the instructions are on the box lid. It is a picograph that "should" be pretty easy to understand on how to add the fob.

To be honest, if you have added a phone as a key, then adding the fob is (almost) the same procedure.

Hi all,

I'm a 2016 Model S owner who just put down for a performance 3.

I'm looking at all these posts from people buying the FOB and I'm asking myself how unreliable is the phone pairing? Is it make and model specific to the phone or just overall hit and miss? I've been looking forward to just being able to pair with my phone instead of having to remember my keyfob.

With my current S keyfob I like to leave it in my backpack except for when I go out to lunch. There are times where i'll forget it's on my desk. Phone sounds ideal.. but maybe not?

Hi all,

I'm looking at all these posts from people buying the FOB and I'm asking myself how unreliable is the phone pairing? Is it make and model specific to the phone or just overall hit and miss? I've been looking forward to just being able to pair with my phone instead of having to remember my keyfob.

With my current S keyfob I like to leave it in my backpack except for when I go out to lunch. There are times where i'll forget it's on my desk. Phone sounds ideal.. but maybe not?

I don’t know that anyone has figured out a pattern with phone make/model for reliability as a key. Overall, I think Tesla improved the functionality since I got my car, but occasionally my phone key still fails. The latest V10 update increased the failure rate a bit, but not too crazy for me. If you have more than one Tesla it can be unreliable depending on which car you have active in the app.

Try phone as key for a while and just see how well it works for you. Then you can decide on a fob. One functionality I do like about the fob is being able to pop the trunk as I walk up with groceries vs waiting until I get to the car to hit the trunk button. I also have walk away lock disabled, so the fob is easier for me to use to lock the car vs the app.

• Helpful
Reactions: SamuraiPumpkin
Hi all,

Overall from what I've read neest iPhones work the best.

Iv got a Samsung note 9 and it's been pretty good but there's at least once to twice a week where it doesn't see my phone at all, it's irritating because I usually have other people waiting to get it. And ill have to do an airplane mode switch.

Since having the phone key it's bee. Perfect and it's way faster. The phone has a .5-1 second delay.

• Informative
I usually have my phone in either a shirt pocket or front pocket. I have a 100% success rate with the phone and car seeing each other in these configurations. Occasionally I have my phone in my rear pocket, and perhaps 15% of the time, the car and phone will not see each other. When this happens, I sort of "hip-check" the car and everything works normally thenceforth.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
20191028_121926.jpg

its getting annoying standing in the pouring rain waiting for my phone/car to talk to each other. most of the time it works as it should but more often than i like i have to take my iphone 11pro out of my front pocket (not open/unlock it, just lift it) and the car unlocks

Oh nice. I actually do remember reading about that. Who ended up forking out for the new one? Tesla or FedEx?

After speaking with no less than seven (I lost track, eventually) different people at FedEx they finally admitted fault officially (verbally right away, but getting an official statement was the tough part). Tesla then offered to take over my FedEx claim and send a new fob. So for now, I'm afraid Tesla has eaten the cost. Hopefully they are able to recover the loss from FedEx but if my experience is any indication it probably isn't worth the effort.

Hi all,

I use the phone key (iPhone 6s) for my 3 and have never had any issues but I did like the FOB I had with my 2016 S70. Just something cool about that FOB for the S. Guess eventually I'll breakdown and buy the Model 3 FOB. Like others have suggested to you however, you might wait and try the phone thing before you buy a FOB for the 3.