Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Keyfob updated on Tesla shop to include passive entry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been using my key fob non stop, Best item I've gotta for the car hands down!
  • my gf can chill in the car and continue to watch Netflix(don't have to forfeit my phone or change car settings)
  • valet service can now use my key and put it on a hook.
  • it's significantly faster than my phone, and so far have had a 100% success rate. (At least once or twice a week I'd have reset airplane mode, it's annoying as sh*t when people are waiting to get in your car)
  • I get Tesla wanted to save money with the keycard but having a key fob is... ..it just..just feels right.
  • You'll have best of both worlds, the phone app stuff has the same functionality, pre cool, unlock, valet mode, etc ....

Good points!

I'd like my kids to chill in the car sometimes too, while I leave with my phone. Does the V1 fob also all that?

Reactions: ElectricEel
Update - Tesla says it was delivered (never received the promised shipping confirmation or tracking number) so I called FedEx who says there were "too many barcodes" on it so it wasn't delivered, but now they can't find it. So.... Somewhere floating around is a keyfob for my car. Yeah, I'm not nervous at all.

Update - Tesla says it was delivered (never received the promised shipping confirmation or tracking number) so I called FedEx who says there were "too many barcodes" on it so it wasn't delivered, but now they can't find it. So.... Somewhere floating around is a keyfob for my car. Yeah, I'm not nervous at all.

Wow - sorry to hear this is happening to you. Is FedEx compensating you for the lost key fob package, since they are the ones that lost it ?

FedEx says that Tesla has to make the appeal for the lost package. I've emailed Tesla, so we'll see what happens. Pretty bummed right now. Not so much because I've likely lost $160, but more because I was really excited about the fob.
I'll give it a week or so and order another.

:( Bummer man. Hope it gets resolved for you soon.

Similar experience but with a much lower cost item ... just an iPhone cable. The package made all the way to Kennesaw, GA but then showed up as "delayed" then disappeared. I submitted a claim with FedEx but nothing ever happened. I finally ordered another USB cable and it tracked to Kennesaw and then the delivery status changed to "unknown". I thought, "not again", but that cable was eventually delivered a few days late. The weird thing is that I've ordered several Tesla products (Wall Connector, paint kit, etc.) but had no issues with delivery on them, just the stupid iPhone USB cables.

Anyway, if the cost was $160, I'd be pissed.

How do you open the key to put the battery in?

Edit: found my answer.
How long does the battery in my Key Fob last?
Your Key Fob battery should last for around five years with normal use.

How do I replace the battery in my Key Fob?
With the key placed button-side down on a soft surface, use a small flat-bladed tool to release the bottom cover. Remove the battery by lifting it away from the retaining clips. Insert the new battery (type CR2032) with the ‘+’ side facing up. Illustrated instructions can also be found in your Owner’s Manual.

Last edited:
How do you open the key to put the battery in?

Edit: found my answer.
How long does the battery in my Key Fob last?
Your Key Fob battery should last for around five years with normal use.

How do I replace the battery in my Key Fob?
With the key placed button-side down on a soft surface, use a small flat-bladed tool to release the bottom cover. Remove the battery by lifting it away from the retaining clips. Insert the new battery (type CR2032) with the ‘+’ side facing up. Illustrated instructions can also be found in your Owner’s Manual.

please post direct link. Looking for programming instructions too.

I guess I was confused by this part -
Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 9.35.23 PM.jpg

Walk away lock works for me with this new fob though. But I'm unclear what they mean by authenticated phone - I do have a phone that's logged in via the app, but it's disabled as a key - maybe it's still "helping" with the walk away lock thing. I haven't tried the fob without having my phone in my pocket (yet). My initial thought about this paragraph is that it was about the old fob, but maybe not.

I guess I was confused by this part -
View attachment 468346
Walk away lock works for me with this new fob though. But I'm unclear what they mean by authenticated phone - I do have a phone that's logged in via the app, but it's disabled as a key - maybe it's still "helping" with the walk away lock thing. I haven't tried the fob without having my phone in my pocket (yet). My initial thought about this paragraph is that it was about the old fob, but maybe not.
It's solely about the old key fob. I have the new one, and walk away lock works, with about a 10-second delay after you move out of range.

There's no programming needed. All you have to do is insert the battery, then set up the fob as a "key" inside the car.

Posted the link earlier.

How do I pair my Key Fob?
To pair a Key Fob to your Model 3, go to the Locks tab in Controls on your touchscreen. Follow the onscreen prompts to add a new key. Once paired, the key list displays the new Key Fob, and you can customize the name of Key Fobs or unpair them.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh