Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Keyfob updated on Tesla shop to include passive entry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got mine, and couldn't help but notice that in this age of USB cables and frunk mats no longer being included with the car, they ship these keyfobs with two batteries (only one being needed) that last five years each? :rolleyes:

I don't understand how the battery can possibly last 5 years. I don't know if that's a carry-over from the original key fob verbiage, or if it's really true. I'd be surprised if the battery lasts a year with passive entry. But again, I'm going by how long my VW Golf R's passive-entry fob lasted (10 months to a year).

Has anyone tried setting up the v2 key fob and then removing the battery to see if it works by tapping the B pillar and cup holder like key card?

I want to see if I can get away from carrying the key card with this key. And if the battery dies.

Interesting... From reading the owner's manual, it sounds like the fob would allow access with a dead battery. I'm probably interpreting this statement wrong ? I'll see if I can find a dead CR2032 and give it a try.

From the Model 3 Owners Manual, Version May 16, 2019:

"If the key fob does not work (for example, its battery is dead), you can touch it's flat side against the card reader on the driver's side door pillar (like the key card). Instructions for changing the battery are provided below."

I just realized it does not actually say what happens when you touch the flat side of a non-working fob against the card reader ......

I got dead battery Model 3 fob works fine now (no battery needed). The spots that work for key card may not work for dead battery fob. I was just too impatient to find out where exactly those spots that work for a dead battery fob.

I bought one of the original ones, but never quite got around to using it. It's still in the box. I also got one of these new ones, received it today. Got it paired, it seems to work really nicely! While my phone has been mostly really reliable, this might a be a bit more reliable, and will work even when I forget to turn airplane mode off (I'm in the music business, can't have my phone ringing on stage).

I bought one of the original ones, but never quite got around to using it. It's still in the box. I also got one of these new ones, received it today. Got it paired, it seems to work really nicely! While my phone has been mostly really reliable, this might a be a bit more reliable, and will work even when I forget to turn airplane mode off (I'm in the music business, can't have my phone ringing on stage).
Can’t use silent? There’s silent without vibrate too.