Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Leasing UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, Newbie here (long time BMW owner but don't hold that against me!)... been looking around on here for a few weeks.

I'm close to taking a Model 3 lease through a work salary sacrifice scheme using Octopus EV. Like many people, I'm swinging between Long Range and Performance. Ideally, I'd like to take a LR and bolt on the 'Acceleration Boost' upgrade on receipt of the vehicle as I like the idea of the day-to-day comfort, stealth performance and lower price. However, after reading many threads on here, it seems a lottery as to whether or not I'll have access to this upgrade on my account.

Does anyone have any first hand experience on being able to access upgrades through vehicles leased via Octopus EV (or possibly Lex Autolease)?

Many thanks

It’s actually in the Lex contract:

“11.8 The Customer must not use Connected Services to change the Vehicle’s mechanical performance from its specification when it was first delivered to the Customer.”

That’s along with paying for any services beyond any manufacturer supplied timescale, eg the premium connectivity.

I’ve spent the last 20 years drifting through various warm/hot/fast cars. Nothing supercar quick but some tasty enough stuff.

The LR smashes all of them into the past, at 60-70+% charge it is exceptional, at 80+% charge it is borderline savage when you catch the right situation. Even at lower states of charge it’s totally effortless in all situation and only loses a part of the oomph.

I would love to try the Performance just to gauge how much more savage it feels in the “rearranging your internal organs” department, but after a month with the LR since new it’s clearly never ever going to feel like it needs to be faster.

Go for the best lease deal you can find on a LR and put the extra funds you were going to spend to other use - honestly it just doesn’t need to be quicker. As a toy on a private purchase yes why not go for it - but for a lease it is just spending money that you never get back.

Reactions: EVMeister
I would love to try the Performance just to gauge how much more savage it feels in the “rearranging your internal organs” department, but after a month with the LR since new it’s clearly never ever going to feel like it needs to be faster.

I have the Performance version - 10 months in to it and the go factor never get old, still smiley faces all around. Worth selling family members you don't like for, and maybe even a few you do. It's just so useable, especially at low speeds. I was in a roundabout today and could see a car lurking in my left rear three quarter view. Just to ensure there was no confusion as we both exitied the roundabout, a half inch of throttle and all confusion ends. It's a lovely facility to have.

• Funny
Reactions: ElRey and EVMeister
I’ve spent the last 20 years drifting through various warm/hot/fast cars. Nothing supercar quick but some tasty enough stuff.

The LR smashes all of them into the past, at 60-70+% charge it is exceptional, at 80+% charge it is borderline savage when you catch the right situation. Even at lower states of charge it’s totally effortless in all situation and only loses a part of the oomph.

Go for the best lease deal you can find on a LR and put the extra funds you were going to spend to other use - honestly it just doesn’t need to be quicker. As a toy on a private purchase yes why not go for it - but for a lease it is just spending money that you never get back.

I've had my SR+ for about a month now and giving what I'm able to do to all the ICE cars on the road I decided I should probably never be let loose in a Performance.

At a stop light last night there was a van next to me and another car next to the van which I couldn't see. Light went green and all I saw was the back of the other car. Took me a few seconds to register it was a Tesla model S and then I didn't feel so bad. :)

NB: I should note. I'm never racing anyone but just find the pickup is so fast from 0 I have to constantly catch myself. Maybe it's just the honeymoon phase.

Reactions: EVMeister
Thanks Guys...
I'll park the Acceleration Boost with the LR idea. Now just need to make my mind up between LR and P!

I'm doing pretty much the same as you - have just ordered a P on salary sacrifice. I'm coming from a 2018 BMW M2 which wasn't a slow car (4.2 sec 0-60), but the M3P is much faster in terms of sensation of speed. Only thing you miss is the drama of the engine noise.

I'm off for a second test drive of a P this afternoon to have go on the motorway and so the wife can try it.

VIN Numbers seem to be the hot topic at the moment to determine the likelihood of you getting a 2020 or 2021 car

I had my e-mail from Tesla asking me to reset my password on 7th October (for access to the Tesla Account) - Finance Docs came through from Lex the same day which have now been returned and my broker has told me to expect delivery towards the end of November.

I've read that the Tesla account on a Lease is a scaled down version of the full access but can anyone confirm if the VIN shows up in a Leased Account at all and if so, any idea when.

VIN Numbers seem to be the hot topic at the moment to determine the likelihood of you getting a 2020 or 2021 car

I had my e-mail from Tesla asking me to reset my password on 7th October (for access to the Tesla Account) - Finance Docs came through from Lex the same day which have now been returned and my broker has told me to expect delivery towards the end of November.

I've read that the Tesla account on a Lease is a scaled down version of the full access but can anyone confirm if the VIN shows up in a Leased Account at all and if so, any idea when.

If you have a reservation number I believe you can contact Tesla directly to confirm if/what VIN you have been assigned. Keep us all updated.

I went though a broker and signed the Lex finance docs on the 25th September. I haven’t been assigned a reservation number or been asked to sign into an account as yet. Keen to see if you’ve been assigned a VIN and what letter is in the middle of it :)

If you have a reservation number I believe you can contact Tesla directly to confirm if/what VIN you have been assigned. Keep us all updated.

I went though a broker and signed the Lex finance docs on the 25th September. I haven’t been assigned a reservation number or been asked to sign into an account as yet. Keen to see if you’ve been assigned a VIN and what letter is in the middle of it :)

I ordered mine on 4th August but I did say that ideally I wasn't looking to take delivery until November. I haven't seen a Reservation Number yet neither (but haven't asked for one), will see what I can find out and let you know.

Hi All, Newbie here (long time BMW owner but don't hold that against me!)... been looking around on here for a few weeks.

I'm close to taking a Model 3 lease through a work salary sacrifice scheme using Octopus EV. Like many people, I'm swinging between Long Range and Performance. Ideally, I'd like to take a LR and bolt on the 'Acceleration Boost' upgrade on receipt of the vehicle as I like the idea of the day-to-day comfort, stealth performance and lower price. However, after reading many threads on here, it seems a lottery as to whether or not I'll have access to this upgrade on my account.

Does anyone have any first hand experience on being able to access upgrades through vehicles leased via Octopus EV (or possibly Lex Autolease)?

Many thanks
If you are salary sacrificing then you will not get the tax saving on after market add one. I doubt you will need that boost anyway the LR is the way to go if you don't want to go to performance with those sexy wheels and ooooh lowered suspension and biiig brakes....

I'm doing pretty much the same as you - have just ordered a P on salary sacrifice. I'm coming from a 2018 BMW M2 which wasn't a slow car (4.2 sec 0-60), but the M3P is much faster in terms of sensation of speed. Only thing you miss is the drama of the engine noise.

I'm off for a second test drive of a P this afternoon to have go on the motorway and so the wife can try it.

@Mustard K , Almost snap! I'm coming from an M140i which is making my decision harder. The LR feels plenty quick enough but not much of an upgrade on what I have, hence the dithering over the Performance! The LR + 'Acceleration Boost' add-on would have been a good compromise but consensus on here is that it won't be available to me on a leased car.

@Mustard K , Almost snap! I'm coming from an M140i which is making my decision harder. The LR feels plenty quick enough but not much of an upgrade on what I have, hence the dithering over the Performance! The LR + 'Acceleration Boost' add-on would have been a good compromise but consensus on here is that it won't be available to me on a leased car.

Ha! I went from a 2015 M135i to the M2 - both great cars ;) If its any indication the acceleration in the P scares my wife whereas the M2 she doesn't care about - she says it's like being on a rollercoaster when you accelerate hard in the P...

Currently trying to shift the M2 into the BMW dealer network without taking too much of a hit on the negative. The prices are about 2k below what they were a month ago sadly.

So I accepted an offer on my current car today via Motorway. Probably going to have to say goodbye to it no later than the middle of next week. Apparently Tusker ordered my M3P on the 14th, they are still quoting 12-14 weeks delivery... I'm hoping that it will be quicker than that otherwise I'll be hiring a car on and off for quite some time.

In terms of the order process, am i right in my understanding that a RN will go to Tusker at some point first of all? Will Tusker pass that to me or not? Following the RN i then get matched to a car?

If you think the car was physically ordered by Tusker on 14th then they should have your RN - as them for it :)

Once you have the RN, contact Tesla to check Tusker have allowed your order to be matched, then yes the matching is possible if the right mixture of elks tears and magic beans happens on the computer....

If you think the car was physically ordered by Tusker on 14th then they should have your RN - as them for it :)

Once you have the RN, contact Tesla to check Tusker have allowed your order to be matched, then yes the matching is possible if the right mixture of elks tears and magic beans happens on the computer....

Ah - they told me today that it had been ordered on the 14th. I'll pester them on Monday for an RN then. I will also pray for the correct mixture of the aforementioned items.

Oh - I also got the reset password thing from Tesla on the 14th for a new account on my work email address - so looking back at posts that would suggest it was ordered?

Last edited:
Yes that does suggest RN allocated on 14th.

You are looking out for ship loading dates at source port for likely assignment of VIN opportunities - follow the thread Shipping Movements by our resident global logistics expert Mr Miserable. Assuming the pattern follows recent quarters....

.... so recommend if you spot a ship loading day, phone Tesla 24-48 hours after that to see if you have a VIN match for your RN.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mustard K