Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Such a joy to pick up my car yesterday evening! Had a BLAST driving home from the Tesla store. :) 110% worth the wait. My 1659XX VIN car did come with Ryzen but I have no clue how to check the rest of the newer things. I have a dentist appointment this morning, and will be the HAPPIEST driver heading to a dental appointment ever. I also applied for 3 rebates immediately, since they take 45-90 days to process. Definitely google, as I found some local ones I'd never heard of, and am eligible for 3 rebates here in CA (Monterey Bay area) totaling $5500, plus $400 for the wall charger and free installation (up to 2k back on the install). Hang in there lovelies! You've got this, and it's SOOOOO worth it!!! 😄
Congrats! Car looks awesome. Either they did a great job at detailing it or you did but it looks so shiny!! Jealous of those incentives, nothing like that on this side of the country...

Reactions: Doggerton
Ok, just ordered my M3LR and got to wondering... can I take this car through a regular Drive Thru Car Wash? Or do I need to stick to hand washing?

When I was waiting for my first Model 3 four years ago the rumors going around were that somehow Tesla's paint was "soft" or substandard and very easy to scratch. So I bought a bunch of new hand-washing stuff and for the first few washes I gently hand washed the car...

...and got swirl marks and light scratches from the gentle hand-washing. So in my case the rumors ended up being true to an extent; the clear coat was very easy to scratch. So after that I said to myself "Screw it! If I'm going to get swirl marks and scratches anyway I'm just going to take the car to a regular car wash" and that's what I did for the remainder of the time I owned it.

But to be honest after I stopped obsessing over it I stopped noticing it at all. My car just looked like every other car you see. You don't see those tiny scratches unless you put your nose right up on it. So I don't know if Tesla's paint is somehow worse or not but I do know if you want to put your face 6 inches from any car it's easy to find imperfections.

So my advice is wash the car however you want to wash the car. If you're someone who enjoys hand-washing then hand-wash. If it's more convenient to go through a car wash then go through a car wash. Either way, you will accumulate little imperfections in your paint if you drive the car at all. (I suppose you could try full PPF if it really bothers you.)

has anyone on the East Coast with a estimated delivery range of Feb gotten a VIN yet? Picking up at Devon, PA location with a EDD of Feb 8-19....finding it hard to believe it's going to actually arrive during that timeframe as I still don't have a VIN. Would love something by Sunday as my excellent financing rate expires on that day

Quick update from my end: I have a hold until Feb 18 but I got an email today from Tesla that I need to remove the hold manually by Feb 10 or my order will be cancelled. The email also stated that the order will be cancelled if I put another hold after this one which is understandable. Let's see, fingers crossed that the VIN after Feb 10 has the updates, if not, I will cancel and re-order.
I had the same thing happen to me in December. I ordered last May. But I didnt want the M3 LR until This Jan/Feb. Tesla said they would hold order till December. then around Xmas they offered be two different vehicles. First one had a couple of thousand miles at a $500 discount, i said no. Second was brand new. I told them I was out of town for the holidays and couldnt pick it up until the new year. they said OK. But they also told my I wouldnt be able to postpone my order again. I received VIN notification a couple of days ago. I accepted and bought the car. May get is as soon as next week.

If you want to postpone it more, I suggest not responding to emails or texts. They will call you before they actually cancel an order.

Reactions: Paul4343
Day 245 since original order, it's been quite the wait (mostly due to my own doing with order hold/unfinished tasks, but still). And just got pushed back with another EDD. Does anyone know if Tesla deprioritizes older orders that are locked in at lower prices? I have to wonder if that's might be what's happening here.

OD 6/2/21 (LR/Black/White/Aero/No FSD)
6/22/21 Modified order to LR/Black/Black
7/3/21 Order placed on hold to wait for BBB
11/8/21 Hold timed out
EDD 1 Jan 13 - Feb 10
EDD 2 Dec 14 - Dec 31
12/26/21 Finished loan app (was holding out for BBB)
EDD 3 Feb 1 - Mar 1
EDD 4 Feb 16 - Mar 14

For what it's worth, I'm in a very similar situation!

OD 7/30/21 (Blue/black/aero) Indianapolis, IN
Original EDD: November
10/18/21: Asked for order to be delayed until Jan 1, my SA told me if I got matched with a VIN we would un-match but I was never technically on hold and never saw a VIN, so I'm unclear on if anything ever happened.
12/28/21: Completed financing
EDD #?: Jan 25 - Feb 25
Current EDD: Feb 15 - Mar 15

Reactions: ev_go123
has anyone on the East Coast with a estimated delivery range of Feb gotten a VIN yet? Picking up at Devon, PA location with a EDD of Feb 8-19....finding it hard to believe it's going to actually arrive during that timeframe as I still don't have a VIN. Would love something by Sunday as my excellent financing rate expires on that day

Looks like a few people in the NY area have gotten theirs today. I'm sitting at 2/10-2/24 right now and no movement yet on a VIN... have to guess at this point that if they're going to hit this 2 week window it will be in the 2nd week and not the 1st.

I don't have any close ups of the paint but this is my old car after 4 years of going through automatic car washes. In my opinion it looked just fine.

NOTE: That water on the ground is from what they call rain. Yes, it happens in California!

tesla_right.jpg

EDD update:

M3LR Black/Black/18" no FSD
OD: 12/16/21
EDD #1 on 12/16: 1/22 - 2/19
EDD #2 on 12/18: 12/28 - 12/31
EDD #3 on 12/29: 1/19 - 2/16
EDD #4 on 1/20: 2/25 - 3/25
EDD #6 on 1/27: 2/1 - 3/1
EDD #7 on 2/1: 2/3 - 3/1
I got my expected EDD shifted today as well—-now 2/8-3/8 (full saga is in my signature). However, I called my Portland store and they said my car would be leaving the factory on 2/16. Can they actually see that information???

Hey, @jjrandorin! Is there a way to suggest adding other reaction types to the forum software? It would be great if there were something like I empathize / That sucks / Sorry for you / Whatever. Sometimes you want to show support for someone but the choices of Agree / Disagree / Helpful / Informative don't really fit...

(moderator note)

You can make any suggestions you have in the site feedback subforum. The site owners / admins review that subforum (on their own schedule), so that would be the appropriate place for such suggestions.

On a side note, in case anyone is wondering why I would put "(moderator note)" on something that is fairly obviously that, its because, I am a fairly active poster in general, but am normally posting "as myself" and not "a moderator". This isnt a site mod rule or anything, its just my own way of separating visually when I am saying something "as a mod" vs "a regular poster.

You can make any suggestions you have in the site feedback subforum. The site owners / admins review that subforum (on their own schedule), so that would be the appropriate place for such suggestions.

OK, I added a request:

I had the same thing happen to me in December. I ordered last May. But I didnt want the M3 LR until This Jan/Feb. Tesla said they would hold order till December. then around Xmas they offered be two different vehicles. First one had a couple of thousand miles at a $500 discount, i said no. Second was brand new. I told them I was out of town for the holidays and couldnt pick it up until the new year. they said OK. But they also told my I wouldnt be able to postpone my order again. I received VIN notification a couple of days ago. I accepted and bought the car. May get is as soon as next week.

If you want to postpone it more, I suggest not responding to emails or texts. They will call you before they actually cancel an order.
Thanks for the advice. Just one note, I recall seeing one poster here saying their order got cancelled without any notice at all. So in my case, I think I will play it safe. My current official hold is until Feb 18 but Tesla wants me to remove it by Feb 10, so I am fine by removing it 8 days early. I will click on "I'm ready" next week and keep my fingers crossed.

Reactions: Paul4343
Long time lurker here. Wanted to share my timeline so others can add as a data point as i did the same from all the posts others have posted here.
M3LR Blue Ext/White Int/18" no FSD
OD: 11/20
Placed on Hold until Jan 1st for possible BBB
Hold removed Dec 28
EDD 1: Jan 4 - Feb 1
EDD 2: Jan 9 - Jan 23
EDD3: Jan 20 - Feb 3
EDD 4: Jan 30 - Feb 25
Vin Assigned: Jan 20. VIN 154XXX
Submit all payments and loan approved
Decide to reject VIN due to new Ryzen chip. No issues with Intel chip. Just wanted to future proof my car since it's an expensive purchase
Rejected VIN: Jan 27. Placed on 2 day hold to ensure i dont get assigned same VIN again.
Jan 29: Hold removed
EDD 5: April 22 - May 20
EDD 6: Feb 10 - Feb 23
New Vin Assigned: Feb 2. VIN 171XXX
EDD 7: Feb 14 - Feb 18
Looking forward to setting up pick up date and finally getting the car.