Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD has never been cheaper than 7k total. You will see some people say "I paid 2k for FSD" but that required a purchase of "enhanced autopilot" for 5k, so the total buy in was 7k. It was only that for like 3 weeks, as well. The normal price people paid for FSD was 8k (5k enhanced autopilot + 3k for the FSD option that did not include a single feature that was not present in enhanced autopilot).

You will see people say 2-3k vs 12k and thats not accurate. Its 8k (or during a 3 week timeframe 7k) vs 12k.
This is not totally true. For a short period of time FSD was $6k ONLY if you never purchased the original autopilot. If you purchased the original autopilot for $5k then you could add FSD for $2k (that is what my car has). I was bummed because I ponied up the money upfront and my friend that didn't got FSD for $1000 cheaper than I did. Didn't seem fair at the time but then again, this is Tesla and they move fast. I'm over it now...especially since FSD is now $12k.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
hmm.. I remember the period when tesla changed "enhanced autopilot" to "autopilot", raised car prices 2k, then included autopilot with all new teslas (late march / early april 2019). I purchased EAP with my model 3, because FSD didnt offer anything additional, but when the price to add it dropped from 3k to 2k additional, I jumped on it just because it would include the (new at the time) computer that is now called "FSD computer")

I dont remember tesla offering eap + FSD for 5k total, but my memory isnt infallible either.

Part of the reason I bought the Model 3 was for the promise of eventual real FSD but because it wasn't quite there yet I didn't buy it at purchase time. Nevertheless my car came from the factory with both EAP and FSD enabled even though I didn't pay for it. I told the people at the Tesla service center about this mistake but they didn't seem interested in taking it away from me. (I actually almost never used the features, not even cruise control. I prefer to drive manually if the car can't do it all!) In 2019 it was announced that a hardware upgrade was needed for the "imminent" real FSD debut (HW2.5 - HW3). Since I wanted real FSD and I still trusted what Musk was saying I paid for it then to get the new hardware so I would be ready when FSD came out even though I already had the software features for free. (Yeah, a mistake in retrospect.) I paid $5,000.

And I remember the transaction very well because the amount of the purchase with tax on my invoice was lower by a few hundred dollars than what was actually charged to my credit card. I spent a year calling, emailing and generally hounding everyone at Tesla to get a corrected invoice or the difference refunded before eventually giving up.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I've been getting so jealous of all the VINs being assigned to you all, so earlier today (and for the first time ever) I replied to the "Welcome to Tesla!" text I got back in Nov. '21. I wrote: "Hello! I've been playing the waiting game since my order in mid-Nov. '21, and have been sitting on an EDD of Feb. 5-19 for a few days now. Is there any way (yet) I can get a narrower confirmed delivery window, so I can try to keep my schedule clear? Hoping that date range is accurate; please let me know. Thank you!"

An hour or so later I got this very canned and unhelpful reply from a different 510-area-code number: "Please check your account to view your estimated delivery. If no estimated delivery is visible, please periodically check back. As we near production of your specific vehicle, you will be able to view an updated delivery estimate in your Tesla account. Your delivery estimate may be adjusted forward or backward. The information is provided directly by our production team and it will represent the most accurate information available at the time. We're grateful for your patience while we work to produce your Tesla. If you have any questions, please reply to this message. Thank you."

Blah. Maybe I'll try the website chat option in a few days.

Day 54: Punxsutawney Phil indeed saw his shadow. That can only mean 6 more weeks of a dark, depressing winter with no VIN, no Delivery Date, and no hope. Congrats to those of you who are getting your VIN in record time. You help us believe we could still get that Golden Ticket at any moment. Until then, I'll go sweep the garage...again.
I am curious if they pre-fab things like interior and exterior color to predict demand, which would then impact individuals who order things like white interior or less popular exterior color. However, one one would assume that would be reflected in the EDD so you can make the appropriate choice when ordering.

I am curious if they pre-fab things like interior and exterior color to predict demand, which would then impact individuals who order things like white interior or less popular exterior color. However, one one would assume that would be reflected in the EDD so you can make the appropriate choice when ordering.
I think the issue is with their online ordering system which seems to differentiate the estimated delivery month only by the wheel choice but not on your exterior/interior color. If they would/could provide that estimate beforehand, then people could decide how long they are willing to wait for a particular color combination. For example, right now it looks like there is a pretty long wait for blue and red. Not sure how many would have switched to different colors if they knew that the wait will be much longer for these colors.

Reactions: disneygirl420
I think the issue is with their online ordering system which seems to differentiate the estimated delivery month only by the wheel choice but not on your exterior/interior color. If they would/could provide that estimate beforehand, then people could decide how long they are willing to wait for a particular color combination. For example, right now it looks like there is a pretty long wait for blue and red. Not sure how many would have switched to different colors if they knew that the wait will be much longer for these colors.

Personally I wanted blue... I didn't wanna wait this long, but seeing all these white/blacks delivered is ugh for sure ;)

Though I did just see 2 people with the exact same config in Texas/Florida take delivery! I mean they only ordered like 1+ months later but ya know, who's counting ;)

Reactions: enemji
Personally I wanted blue... I didn't wanna wait this long, but seeing all these white/blacks delivered is ugh for sure ;)

Though I did just see 2 people with the exact same config in Texas/Florida take delivery! I mean they only ordered like 1+ months later but ya know, who's counting ;)

My model 3 is blue, and while tesla model 3s (and Ys) are as common as BMW 3 series in CA now (maybe even more so), I dont see a lot of blue ones on the road. I DO see a TON of Black ones (used to be the free color), White ones ( now the free color) and Grey ones (the safe color, now also free).

I got used to driving a blue car when I had my BMW 435, as there was a specific color of blue that was only available with the "m sport" model, so it became the "enthusiast" color (called "estoril blue"). In a sea of black, white and grey BMWs, it was refreshing to always know which car was mine.

On BMW message boards, it seemed like every other person was always talking about their "estoril blue" 3/4 series, but in actuality in the real world, those were pretty rare.

I wish tesla offered a few more color options, but I have been happy with my blue model 3, and I dont see a ton of them (and even fewer red ones), so if you chose those two colors, your car will be less common among tesla model 3s, most likely.

My model 3 is blue, and while tesla model 3s (and Ys) are as common as BMW 3 series in CA now (maybe even more so), I dont see a lot of blue ones on the road. I DO see a TON of Black ones (used to be the free color), White ones ( now the free color) and Grey ones (the safe color, now also free).

I got used to driving a blue car when I had my BMW 435, as there was a specific color of blue that was only available with the "m sport" model, so it became the "enthusiast" color (called "estoril blue"). In a sea of black, white and grey BMWs, it was refreshing to always know which car was mine.

On BMW message boards, it seemed like every other person was always talking about their "estoril blue" 3/4 series, but in actuality in the real world, those were pretty rare.

I wish tesla offered a few more color options, but I have been happy with my blue model 3, and I dont see a ton of them (and even fewer red ones), so if you chose those two colors, your car will be less common among tesla model 3s, most likely.
My 3 is also blue jj. I love the color and like you I don’t see many in that color