Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it still hard to get the model 3 rear window tinted in one piece these days ?

It's not hard to find availability but it is more expensive as the material is supposed to be more (due to one big sheet).

No, many Tint shops offer this. If they tell you they can't and have to do two pieces I would take my business elsewhere.

This

Nope. The place I'm using does it in one piece (special order) ceramic. $599 for 7 windows in ceramic.

I'm seeing $550-$700 for ceramic around Austin. Front windshield (70%) is about $250-$300. The films are Madico, Xpel XR Black, and Pinnacle. The higher grade ceramics, such as Xcel XR Plus and Formula One Stratus is a bit more.

Reactions: Mlm33
I will try this out in a little bit. Our car that it works on is a 2021, one of the last with the radar from 12/20. I just picked up my new 2022 yesterday and has no radar. But I thought I tried it last night and it turned them off. I will check and report back in a bit.
I just got back from dropping the car off for the tinting. I was able to turn off the auto high beams as I described with auto pilot engaged. Not sure why you haven't been able to @ForestGump

FL folks waiting on the charge ports - SA confirmed yesterday that the WPB location is receiving more cars from Fremont and running out of space to put them due to the charge port hold cars taking up all the space. They said that our affected cars have to go, as its making it an inventory nightmare trying to navigate all of this....with that said, he mentioned that charge port ECUs should be arriving today or tomorrow and installed as fast as they can.

Take all that with a grain of salt but this morsel of information is better than anything i've gotten in the last 2 weeks.
I've been out of touch with the charge port issue. How common and how serious is the issue? Is this something that you can live without and have installed later at a service center? How is the issue communicated to you?

Reactions: PushinT
I've been out of touch with the charge port issue. How common and how serious is the issue? Is this something that you can live without and have installed later at a service center? How is the issue communicated to you?
It's been communicated to me that the ECU tells the car that it has the charger plugged in and manages how the car charges; it's unable to be delivered without the part unfortunately.

Apparently, this issue is common in our "region" as they always open up the conversation by saying "your car still has a hold on it that is affecting 10's of thousands of cars in your region. We do not have an estimated date when the part will come but we'll text you asap once it is installed and passes inspection". I've gotten that story everyday for the past two weeks until the update yesterday.

• Informative
Reactions: Hiline
Hi guys, I just received a text message regarding trade-in my car, but I haven't seen any VIN number and my EDD hasn't changed. What does that mean? If I want to HOLD my delivery, should I tell them now? Thank you for any advice.
There hasn't been any true correlation between when you receive that text and when you get your VIN. Some people got them closer to their OD and some have got them closer to getting their VIN. So it could mean nothing and it could mean you're a couple days from getting your VIN assigned.

I don't have any advice on when you should hold your delivery but you could always reach out to your SA.

Lol how could Tesla or anyone else possibly ship cars that can't be charged
The only explanation is that the factory felt this part should have been readily available/installable at the delivery center, so why hold up order fulfillment if the part exists elsewhere on the supply chain.

Which means either a gross miscommunication or some other reason for why the delivery facilities weren’t able or willing to address this more quickly. But I can’t imagine these cars would have been shipped with any degree of awareness that it would be 3-5 weeks before the part would be installed.

Reactions: Hiline and Teleezen