Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
oh boy this conversation again lol

Basically there are two types of headlights on model 3 they are premium and global/matrix. Premium are standard LED lights, they are great lights and they keep the way forward nice and bright. Then there are global lights. These lights have special projectors that enable them to adjust the light in different spots to prevent blinding incoming drivers, seeing around turns better, etc. Basically they are "smart" lights.

Now here's the catch, the global lights currently in USA dont do any of that fancy stuff. Yes they can one day but they need software that just isn't available yet for a whole set of reasons including government bureaucracy. About a year ago Tesla started putting these global lights into their model 3s. A few months ago people started noticing however, that some of the model 3s did not have the global lights but rather the "old" premium lights. This set off a "*sugar*" storm that is still raging on this forum. However, as of recently most model 3s seem to have the global lights.

As for the pro's and con's of each. The premium is the tried and true LED headlight. It turns on and shines ahead. Some people claim that direct vision is brighter. The global light however is the new cool technology even though it isn't actually able software wise to do what it has potential to. People want global for a myriad of reasons but basically it comes down to it's new and thus better.

My personal opinion is IDGAF about what lights I have. My old car currently has old yellow lights that are 1 step above me tying a flashlight to the hood. To me anything is a huge improvement so I may be the wrong person to ask. Personally lights should be one of those things that you turn on and forget about. While global is cool, and its nice to have a future proof tech on my new car I do get worried about having " too much" technology. There have been a few reports about people needing service because the global lights projector is malfunctioning and the light will not turn off or is stuck on high beams. Throw in software to "smart adapt" my lights and you can see where the trouble can be. This comes back to the overall issue I have with Tesla sometimes being too reliant on reinventing the wheel. Take for example Musk wanting to use lasers to clean the cybertruck windshield instead of just putting frickin whiper blades on it or needing to hit a software button to open a glove box. Sometimes less is more as software can malfunction.

Any way I digress. The tldr is that matrix lights are new and one day may be the future of lighting so people want them. Either way you will get a great car that will shine the way thru the darkness.

Hope this helped! Cheers
Pretty solid round up, you could tell others (myself included) just shied away from this cuz there was a lot to go into...

I do want to add one note though, earlier this year NHTSA did in fact approve adaptive headlights for the US market. It's now just a matter of OEM's putting them in cars for the US.

Reactions: cmy4x4 and ZZ118
Lol it seems Tesla is good during the early/mid quarter. At the end of the quarter though all bets are off especially in Cali
ZZ as I was scrolling posts, I was hoping you'd be next to shout you got a VIN!!o_O
My EDD hasn't budged, which for me I guess is a good thing. I'd go crazy if it kept changing back and forth like some others.
I think with the recession and high rates potential buyers are backing out. Glad you locked in yours. Soon my friend, hang in there.;)

Please explain if one set of headlights is better than the other?

Thanks

You can look at some of the posts and videos or look it up in Google.

Both headlights are safe and look great. Matrix headlights have the "ability" to do different things.

Either one will work.

Someone can post up another post as I am working and can't find the specific post to the differences.

If you have Matrix headlights you can "display" TESLA for some cool features while parked. There may be more to the story....

While global is cool, and its nice to have a future proof tech on my new car I do get worried about having " too much" technology.
For me, this falls into the same category as electric cars; it's way past due. The thing about the matrix lamps is the whole selective lighting thing where I don't blind other drivers. I'm really looking forward to the day when other drivers won't blind me. The pain from nighttime glare is real.
Take for example Musk wanting to use lasers to clean the cybertruck windshield instead of just putting frickin whiper blades on it or needing to hit a software button to open a glove box. Sometimes less is more as software can malfunction.
I like the fact that Musk is slightly bonkers. He's Mr. Disruptive. He's the cherry on top for the 2020s. We wouldn't have electric cars if he was inclined to clean a windshield with a physical wiper. Or to build reusable rockets larger than the Saturn V. It's all a package deal. It would be nice to soften a few of his harsher edges, but I'm thankful that he's here to shake things up. It's almost poetic that he should really get things going just as all the 2020s craziness got underway.
I think with the recession and high rates potential buyers are backing out.
Some will have to, but gas prices represent a force to encourage buyers to hang on. It'll be interesting to see what Tesla's numbers are like for Q3.

For me, this falls into the same category as electric cars; it's way past due. The thing about the matrix lamps is the whole selective lighting thing where I don't blind other drivers. I'm really looking forward to the day when other drivers won't blind me. The pain from nighttime glare is real.

I like the fact that Musk is slightly bonkers. He's Mr. Disruptive. He's the cherry on top for the 2020s. We wouldn't have electric cars if he was inclined to clean a windshield with a physical wiper. Or to build reusable rockets larger than the Saturn V. It's all a package deal. It would be nice to soften a few of his harsher edges, but I'm thankful that he's here to shake things up. It's almost poetic that he should really get things going just as all the 2020s craziness got underway.

Some will have to, but gas prices represent a force to encourage buyers to hang on. It'll be interesting to see what Tesla's numbers are like for Q3.
I don't not agree with you. Disruption is great and leads to progress. But sometimes things can be overdone. That was all I was alluding to. Obviously I support his ideas or I wouldn't be buying this car ;)

oh boy this conversation again lol

Basically there are two types of headlights on model 3 they are premium and global/matrix. Premium are standard LED lights, they are great lights and they keep the way forward nice and bright. Then there are global lights. These lights have special projectors that enable them to adjust the light in different spots to prevent blinding incoming drivers, seeing around turns better, etc. Basically they are "smart" lights.

Now here's the catch, the global lights currently in USA dont do any of that fancy stuff. Yes they can one day but they need software that just isn't available yet for a whole set of reasons including government bureaucracy. About a year ago Tesla started putting these global lights into their model 3s. A few months ago people started noticing however, that some of the model 3s did not have the global lights but rather the "old" premium lights. This set off a "*sugar*" storm that is still raging on this forum. However, as of recently most model 3s seem to have the global lights.

As for the pro's and con's of each. The premium is the tried and true LED headlight. It turns on and shines ahead. Some people claim that direct vision is brighter. The global light however is the new cool technology even though it isn't actually able software wise to do what it has potential to. People want global for a myriad of reasons but basically it comes down to it's new and thus better.

My personal opinion is IDGAF about what lights I have. My old car currently has old yellow lights that are 1 step above me tying a flashlight to the hood. To me anything is a huge improvement so I may be the wrong person to ask. Personally lights should be one of those things that you turn on and forget about. While global is cool, and its nice to have a future proof tech on my new car I do get worried about having " too much" technology. There have been a few reports about people needing service because the global lights projector is malfunctioning and the light will not turn off or is stuck on high beams. Throw in software to "smart adapt" my lights and you can see where the trouble can be. This comes back to the overall issue I have with Tesla sometimes being too reliant on reinventing the wheel. Take for example Musk wanting to use lasers to clean the cybertruck windshield instead of just putting frickin whiper blades on it or needing to hit a software button to open a glove box. Sometimes less is more as software can malfunction.

Any way I digress. The tldr is that matrix lights are new and one day may be the future of lighting so people want them. Either way you will get a great car that will shine the way thru the darkness.

Hope this helped! Cheers
Hey Guys, thought I would pop back in for some updated info regarding the matrix headlights. Several days ago I was driving at night for the first time since I got my Model 3 LR on 6/28. I have matrix headlights (set to Automatic) and noticed that the lights kept switching from low to high beams as cars approached and then passed. What was surprising is as I was going around a turn and a car was approaching, my headlights partially turned off in an area where the approaching car was so that it would not blind the other driver. The other driver did not flash me either. I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it in action. It actually worked as described!!! I've had several software updates, so I don't know if one of them enabled the functionality or maybe it has been there all along. Anyone else experienced this?

Just waiting 116 day since OD and see
Hey Guys, thought I would pop back in for some updated info regarding the matrix headlights. Several days ago I was driving at night for the first time since I got my Model 3 LR on 6/28. I have matrix headlights (set to Automatic) and noticed that the lights kept switching from low to high beams as cars approached and then passed. What was surprising is as I was going around a turn and a car was approaching, my headlights partially turned off in an area where the approaching car was so that it would not blind the other driver. The other driver did not flash me either. I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it in action. It actually worked as described!!! I've had several software updates, so I don't know if one of them enabled the functionality or maybe it has been there all along. Anyone else experienced this?
you are one of the few that has come back after they got their car so the majority that are in here don't have their cars yet.

Reactions: jpaychek
I got my M3 back in February and it had the matrix headlights. The left one was so far out of alignment and aimed right at the oncoming drivers, that I severely limited my night driving until the headlight unit was replaced under warranty last month. The replacement definitely corrected the issue, but I have not driven the car enough at night to see the behavior that you are describing. Now I am excited to get out there and see if I have the same functionality.

Reactions: jpaychek
I was able to change from cash to loan in the app after getting my vin...I know it's been discussed here. Just wanted to add my experience.
What kind of rate did you get? I have a pre approval for 3.19 with Navy Federal but am aggravated since they market 2.79 but I guess my almost perfect credit isn’t good enough for them.
If you look at the UK site: Design Your Model 3 | Tesla, the M3LR w/ 18" wheels has an estimated range of 389mi. The US version, similarly equipped maxes out at 358mi.
They (Europe) use WLTP versus we (USA) use EPA ranges.