Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There really isn't a policy or procedure for this. It's a per-situation thing. Contact your SA and let them know that the offered delivery times are a real problem for you and you'd like to move delivery to such-and-such a date and time.
The SA I spoke to said that the car isn't going to arrive until Saturday, and they need time to prep it. If it's done sooner I may be able to pick it up Sunday. Fingers crossed.

To the best of my knowledge, the only Model 3 trim that gets the amber rear turn signals is the Performance. Everyone should be getting the matrix headlamps. The only time they haven't been used during 2022 was briefly last spring.
I still want to know if the cameras in the recent builds are 5.0 megapixel?

As a side note, I can’t get over how amazing the acceleration is on these cars! It is truly a joy to drive. The trunk space is actually much smaller than I had anticipated. Perhaps I see this more because I’m migrating from a SUV that had ample storage space, so M3 seems very limited in that respect.

Reactions: Terminator966
I still want to know if the cameras in the recent builds are 5.0 megapixel?
I'm curious to know why you're so hot to know this. Until Hardware 4 comes out, your car won't have the processor to handle 5.0 megapixel rates. So even if you have 5.0 megapixel cameras, they're running at 1.2 megapixel rates. If you want to try to shoot holes in this idea, transfer some dashcam footage to a computer and see how many megapixels are being recorded.

The only reasons I can think of to install 5.0 megapixel cameras now are:

1) If they're as cheap as the 1.2 megapixel cameras, use them. This is a bit like switching to matrix headlamps without taking advantage of their abilities.
2) If Tesla plans to upgrade all cars to Hardware 4 eventually, put the Hardware 4 cameras in now. It's cheaper across the board.

I'm curious to know why you're so hot to know this. Until Hardware 4 comes out, your car won't have the processor to handle 5.0 megapixel rates. So even if you have 5.0 megapixel cameras, they're running at 1.2 megapixel rates. If you want to try to shoot holes in this idea, transfer some dashcam footage to a computer and see how many megapixels are being recorded.

The only reasons I can think of to install 5.0 megapixel cameras now are:

1) If they're as cheap as the 1.2 megapixel cameras, use them. This is a bit like switching to matrix headlamps without taking advantage of their abilities.
2) If Tesla plans to upgrade all cars to Hardware 4 eventually, put the Hardware 4 cameras in now. It's cheaper across the board.
Or they are already using the new chips, we just don’t know it. I don’t necessarily think HW4 is the same thing as Tesla switching to their latest silicon. HW4 may include more camera, new radar, etc.

I don’t necessarily think HW4 is the same thing as Tesla switching to their latest silicon.
Everything I've read is pretty clear that Hardware 4's cornerstone is the processor. At AI day, Elon said "hardware 3 or full self driving computer 1" in one breath. Processor and hardware generation are synonymous.

Tesla is processor bound. They were running at 24 FPS and recently worked hard to optimize to 36 FPS. If they throw four times the video data at the current processor, they're going to drop to 8 fps, which is untenable. That's why they've been working on the new silicon, and have a contract with Samsung to produce it with a 7 nanometer process (for stability and durability versus a better-performing 5 nanometer process). Elon has stated that the Hardware 4 processor will be "about four times more capable, roughly", and that matches up nicely with the four times increase in video data when moving from 1.2 to 5.0 megapixel cameras.

Hardware 4 is targeted for the Cybertruck, so that's when I expect it to show up. It's a lower volume vehicle, so if anything goes wrong with any of the systems, Tesla won't have to pay a fortune to do physical recalls of affected vehicles.
HW4 may include more camera, new radar, etc.
Definitely. There's no value in boosting the processor so much without improved sensors to take advantage of it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cmy4x4 and jpaychek
Delivery day for our M3LR! Brand new Tesla facility in Rockville MD. We were encouraged to check out the car at our leisure in their garage. It was already on, keys inside.

Aside from a couple of utterly ignorable paint bubbles (which they promised to fix) things couldn’t have been smoother. (Ok, the inflator kit which is required in MD wasn’t there. They say I can pick it up when it’s back in stock. No biggie.)

Matrix headlights, Michelins on the 18” rims, Ryzen chip and CCS compatibility. Works for me!

Should the M3LR come with a mat in the drunk?

D85180B9-83F2-4192-8334-1BFADB932DD8.jpeg

Picked up this beauty early morning yesterday. No issues. Super quick. Only had a one small left over residue of adhesive. They handled it immediately.

That's why they've been working on the new silicon, and have a contract with Samsung to produce it with a 7 nanometer process (for stability and durability versus a better-performing 5 nanometer process).
Current rumor is that Tesla is going with TSMC and will use the 4 or 5 nanometer process for the processor.

According to Elon, sometime in December, FSD V11 is supposed to go to everyone with FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: jpaychek