Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Waiting to pull the trigger on my order. I am currently in a 2018 MB Lease that is up in November and want to try to time this as close as possible to giving back the 300 CE. I am willing to pay out a month or two (plus the 595 lease end fees), assuming no other "gotcha" charges - the car is near perfect condition. I am in NJ and want to take advantage of the NJ EV Incentives plus no sales tax. I am wondering if I submit the order (LR, Red, White Interior, 18" Aeros) at the end of July I will pretty much cover the time until at least October or even November delivery. Does that sound about right to most folks. I know this is like a crap shoot, but I don't want to be stuck with 3 car payments (M3, 300CE, Wife's Corolla), but the closer to the last payment for the Benz lease. the better.
Who knows? Just like you, I tried to time it to get close to when my BMW 330e lease was up. I was prepared to delay the delivery if it came too early but after seeing all the production problems and the cars being pretty much sold out for the quarter I decided to accept it whenever it came in. For me that was only 5 weeks from order date. See timeline in my signature below. I had to eat a few final lease payments but now that I have my M3LR it was worth it!

I ordered my Tesla LR AWD white exterior, all black interior w/ 18" aero wheels on 6/9/21. I have gotten so many changes in delivery dates and now is showing 11-17 weeks?? I would assume since I ordered in Q2, I would get it either sometime early Q3 or mid Q3 but 11-17 weeks? I tried to talk to a Tesla Advisor and they kept on saying that it is due to possibly reaching the max orders for Q3 but I have no idea. Does anyone know or heard of anything at all?

Ordered 5/12/2021, still NOTHING, completed all tasks delivery date says 7-11 weeks

2021 Blue LR AWD, no FSD, black interior, 18"
If you ordered on 5/12/21, you definitely have priority over me in getting a Tesla and if your delivery is still unchanged from 7-11 weeks, I have no chance of getting it soon. This is upsetting.

Yeah, let's just hope and pray our VIN's come soon and we can both cruise in our new 21' M3's but for now, no dice for many as I read further into the forums. Orders from April are still unfulfilled.
A good bit of those April orders were put on hold and reinstated later. That puts them back in line.

There seems to be a couple ppl that ordered late may that got VINs recently.

just don’t hold your breath lol

A good bit of those April orders were put on hold and reinstated later. That puts them back in line.

There seems to be a couple ppl that ordered late may that got VINs recently.

just don’t hold your breath lol
Sorry, I'm sort of unfamiliar with this. When you say reinstated, was it the owner's choice or did Tesla do that? That would mean that those who ordered in April were put back in line before say you and I since we ordered in June correct? I know location matters and it sucks that lots of us are riding the 11-17 week train but do you think it'll be soon for getting our VINs? Utah resident here.

If you ordered on 5/12/21, you definitely have priority over me in getting a Tesla and if your delivery is still unchanged from 7-11 weeks, I have no chance of getting it soon. This is upsetting.

Since you're in Utah, I'd imagine you'll get a vehicle before a lot of east coast folks who ordered around the same time. Proximity to CA seems to count for a lot more than order date in some cases (as another 5/12 order here).

The main takeaway I have from this thread is that it's a giant crapshoot and we're all excited/desperate to get our vehicles.

If you can't take delivery (like you're on vacation or a business trip) they release your VIN. You have about a 1 week window to take delivery. For me, I had June 12-17th that I could have taken delivery, but I was out of the country and it reset my order to late June.

As for the delay, they are 100% making foreign market cars right now (different steering wheel location, or charge port type, or light requirements) and making zero North American cars. The only people that can possibly get VINs right now in NA are if someone else can't take delivery or refuses delivery. They won't even start making North American cars until late August or Sept.

EDIT: This is only applicable to Model 3. For something like a Plaid, those are only going to NA right now and they will empty the NA order queue before they make European ones.

Since you're in Utah, I'd imagine you'll get a vehicle before a lot of east coast folks who ordered around the same time. Proximity to CA seems to count for a lot more than order date in some cases (as another 5/12 order here).

The main takeaway I have from this thread is that it's a giant crapshoot and we're all excited/desperate to get our vehicles.
Yeah I would hope for all of us to get around the same time or those in the East Coast to be sooner since it is truly unfair but I understand that Tesla is just a billion dollar company prioritizing earnings rather than fairness. As for M3's currently in production, like CapinWinky stated above, they aren't even producing our cars and are making foreign market cars as of now. This would mean that a few of us could be lucky in getting the cars sooner for those who don't accept delivery but the rest are just waiting and waiting...

If you can't take delivery (like you're on vacation or a business trip) they release your VIN. You have about a 1 week window to take delivery. For me, I had June 12-17th that I could have taken delivery, but I was out of the country and it reset my order to late June.

As for the delay, they are 100% making foreign market cars right now (different steering wheel location, or charge port type, or light requirements) and making zero North American cars. The only people that can possibly get VINs right now in NA are if someone else can't take delivery or refuses delivery. They won't even start making North American cars until late August or Sept.

EDIT: This is only applicable to Model 3. For something like a Plaid, those are only going to NA right now and they will empty the NA order queue before they make European ones.
I think this makes sense. Refreshing the Ev-CPO website today I can see that a few thousand model 3's were added in the Europe region. I did see about 50 or so added to USA but no actual results ever came and even that number slowly disappeared

1626220280143.png

CalculatingYearlyDogwoodclubgall-size_restricted.gif

You're saying the EDDs are a scam? Cuz it's feeling like a scam lol.

Reactions: holeydonut

and just like that you made me cry

Reactions: cvbesq
.They won't even start making North American cars until late August or Sept.

That is…unacceptable. I know it sounds uppity, but waiting 3-4 months for a car - no matter how great - is ridiculous. I’ve had my delivery date changed so many times at this point it’s not even funny, and I know others around here have as well. Last date range was the 14th to the 31st of July for me. If it’s pushed back again I’ll test drive a mach-e and if that doesn’t work I’ll just go ICE again this round and try again in a few years. I don’t like getting jerked around by a company who makes it seem as if you’re lucky to even be able to acquire their goods, as if this is how they treat people when they want their money it only gets worse once they have it.

Sorry for the rant, I’m just pissed off about this at the moment.

I ordered my Tesla LR AWD white exterior, all black interior w/ 18" aero wheels on 6/9/21. I have gotten so many changes in delivery dates and now is showing 11-17 weeks?? I would assume since I ordered in Q2, I would get it either sometime early Q3 or mid Q3 but 11-17 weeks? I tried to talk to a Tesla Advisor and they kept on saying that it is due to possibly reaching the max orders for Q3 but I have no idea. Does anyone know or heard of anything at all?
11-17 weeks from order date is what people have tossed around so maybe late august? I’m in same boat, ordered same date as you but not exact same specs.

I thought this was speculation based on what you said earlier and the individuals you said you spoke with. Did someone confirm?

I thought this was speculation based on what you said earlier and the individuals you said you spoke with. Did someone confirm?
Yes, I got confirmation they are making non-NA cars right now. I only have speculation on how often they change over to make different market cars, but the general thinking is they have a set changeover pattern to produce for right/left hand, Europe/Asia lights and plugs, etc and it takes weeks to finish out a foreign market run sequence. I'd be very surprised if they changed it up to inject more NA cars before late August.

Giga Berlin was supposed to step in and offload all Euro model Y and let Fremont transition lines to Model 3 then Austin was supposed to step in and take the rest of Model Y out of Fremont. Berlin is way behind, so they have to crank out model Y for Europe on lines that they planned to have making Model 3s soon. China is also behind because of the recall there, so Fremont is on the hook for more foreign Model 3s. It all adds up to less Model 3 bandwidth than they planned and more foreign production than they planned.

Reactions: tren01t