Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should M3LR has double-glass rear door by default?
It was part of the refresh/introduction of flagship Model S/X stuff into Model Y/3 - like how Ryzen and the 12V Li-ion battery were first seen in China on the Model Y, the rear dual pane windows were expected but haven't been seen in North America yet.

Word of advice: if you have any sort of issues upon delivery with things you want fixed/adjusted, make that service appointment FIRST.
The app does not let you make more than one service request at a time. I made the request for my Homelink installation, thinking that appointment would be quicker, and because I wanted to be able to get into my house. 😋
Then I wanted to make a second appointment to resolve all of the things I wanted to be looked at, and realized that there was no way to do that, except to cancel the first appointment.

They can do the Homelink installation as a remote service call, but not paint or dents. Not sure about panel gaps, but I'd guess all of the bodywork stuff has to be done at the service center.

Anywho, I was able to work it out with someone via messages in the app, and they made a second appointment for the other items and had me send the pictures and list via e-mail.

The list I sent:
1. Inside the front door hinge areas, there is no paint on much of the surfaces, and different layer(s) missing from one side or the other. The driver’s side is mostly white with blue overspray, and the passenger side is mostly yellow with blue overspray. I don’t know how many layers are missing on either side, but my other vehicles have always been painted and had unpolished clear coat in this location.
2. The panel gaps between the A-pillar, front quarter panel and front doors are visibly much wider on the driver’s side than the passenger side. Primed, but unpainted surfaces are visible on both sides in the gap, particularly on the driver’s side. The driver's side front quarter panel is not flush with the door. The door is further in. It's hard to see, but easy to feel.
3. The passenger side quarter panel has a misalignment with the panel below at the headlight. This is probably related to the passenger side of #2 above.
4. When the frunk/hood is fully open, the rear edge pushes on the passenger side windshield wiper. I’m guessing that there is an adjustment that can be made so that it doesn’t open that far.

The remaining items are comparatively minor:
5. There are light scratches at the rear bumper and low on the rear passenger quarter panel. They will probably buff out. I couldn't even get a picture of the quarter panel one because it disappears in the reflection of the pavement.
6. On both sides, the rear quarter panels don’t align with the trim at the intersection with the rear window / roof glass. Maybe they aren’t supposed to, but it doesn’t look right.

So... I think I've reached the graduation point from this thread.

May your delivery dates arrive as soon as possible, and take it real easy on that accelerator pedal.
0-60 might take 4.2 seconds, but 0-35 is a lot closer to 1 😲

Word of advice: if you have any sort of issues upon delivery with things you want fixed/adjusted, make that service appointment FIRST.
The app does not let you make more than one service request at a time. I made the request for my Homelink installation, thinking that appointment would be quicker, and because I wanted to be able to get into my house. 😋
Then I wanted to make a second appointment to resolve all of the things I wanted to be looked at, and realized that there was no way to do that, except to cancel the first appointment.

They can do the Homelink installation as a remote service call, but not paint or dents. Not sure about panel gaps, but I'd guess all of the bodywork stuff has to be done at the service center.

Anywho, I was able to work it out with someone via messages in the app, and they made a second appointment for the other items and had me send the pictures and list via e-mail.

The list I sent:
1. Inside the front door hinge areas, there is no paint on much of the surfaces, and different layer(s) missing from one side or the other. The driver’s side is mostly white with blue overspray, and the passenger side is mostly yellow with blue overspray. I don’t know how many layers are missing on either side, but my other vehicles have always been painted and had unpolished clear coat in this location.
2. The panel gaps between the A-pillar, front quarter panel and front doors are visibly much wider on the driver’s side than the passenger side. Primed, but unpainted surfaces are visible on both sides in the gap, particularly on the driver’s side. The driver's side front quarter panel is not flush with the door. The door is further in. It's hard to see, but easy to feel.
3. The passenger side quarter panel has a misalignment with the panel below at the headlight. This is probably related to the passenger side of #2 above.
4. When the frunk/hood is fully open, the rear edge pushes on the passenger side windshield wiper. I’m guessing that there is an adjustment that can be made so that it doesn’t open that far.

The remaining items are comparatively minor:
5. There are light scratches at the rear bumper and low on the rear passenger quarter panel. They will probably buff out. I couldn't even get a picture of the quarter panel one because it disappears in the reflection of the pavement.
6. On both sides, the rear quarter panels don’t align with the trim at the intersection with the rear window / roof glass. Maybe they aren’t supposed to, but it doesn’t look right.

So... I think I've reached the graduation point from this thread.

May your delivery dates arrive as soon as possible, and take it real easy on that accelerator pedal.
0-60 might take 4.2 seconds, but 0-35 is a lot closer to 1 😲

I would have never noticed any of that...thank God.

I would have never noticed any of that...thank God.
The bright white inside the driver's side door hinge area is really quite noticeable. Like, I saw it immediately upon opening the door for the very first time to get in, before I even took out the checklist or started looking for flaws. At least the yellowish color in the passenger side is a lot less vibrant.

The gap between the A-pillar and the quarter panel is wide enough on the driver's side that primed, but unpainted metal is very visible in the opening. That is also yellowish, which really stands out between the dark blue.

If those two items weren't there, I probably would have looked at the rest of the car a LOT less closely than I did. The more I found, the more closely I looked. If you'll notice, a lot of them are cases where the driver's side and passenger side don't match. If both door hinge areas were white, or both were yellow, I would have assumed it was the way it was supposed to be. (But would be VERY disappointing in a car at this price.) Same thing with the A-pillar gap. If they were both wide enough to see the frame underneath, I might have thought it was the way it was supposed to be. When the two sides are visibly different, it makes it obvious that one of them is wrong.

All of the panel gaps on the Infiniti I traded in were so tight that not enough light got in to see, and so they just looked like thick black lines. On my Tesla, most of them look that way, but not the ones at the driver's side A-pillar area.

The bright white inside the driver's side door hinge area is really quite noticeable. Like, I saw it immediately upon opening the door for the very first time to get in, before I even took out the checklist or started looking for flaws. At least the yellowish color in the passenger side is a lot less vibrant.

The gap between the A-pillar and the quarter panel is wide enough on the driver's side that primed, but unpainted metal is very visible in the opening. That is also yellowish, which really stands out between the dark blue.

If those two items weren't there, I probably would have looked at the rest of the car a LOT less closely than I did. The more I found, the more closely I looked. If you'll notice, a lot of them are cases where the driver's side and passenger side don't match. If both door hinge areas were white, or both were yellow, I would have assumed it was the way it was supposed to be. (But would be VERY disappointing in a car at this price.) Same thing with the A-pillar gap. If they were both wide enough to see the frame underneath, I might have thought it was the way it was supposed to be. When the two sides are visibly different, it makes it obvious that one of them is wrong.

All of the panel gaps on the Infiniti I traded in were so tight that not enough light got in to see, and so they just looked like thick black lines. On my Tesla, most of them look that way, but not the ones at the driver's side A-pillar area.
With demand the way it is, they aren’t likely to fix this stuff before it leaves the factory any time soon. If it’s fixable at a service center, they could easily tighten QA but that would slow down delivery and we’d all be on here doing this anyway.

Model 3 LR : Aero : Red: Black Int : OD 2-27-22 : EDD May 6-June 3

I have no idea what I’m doing as I’m new to Forums in general so please bear with me. I’ve read all the posts in this forum dated since 2-27-22 so I’m caught up with current events. I called Tesla and spoke to a salesman who said my order is fine, just waiting for a VIN and EDD. No trade in, financed with Tesla, home delivery in Orlando area. Tesla’s are everywhere here and finally got to drive one the other day. As stated in the title, so much to learn. I appreciate all the info/advice posted here and hope my time in this forum is short.

Model 3 LR : Aero : Red: Black Int : OD 2-27-22 : EDD May 6-June 3

I have no idea what I’m doing as I’m new to Forums in general so please bear with me. I’ve read all the posts in this forum dated since 2-27-22 so I’m caught up with current events. I called Tesla and spoke to a salesman who said my order is fine, just waiting for a VIN and EDD. No trade in, financed with Tesla, home delivery in Orlando area. Tesla’s are everywhere here and finally got to drive one the other day. As stated in the title, so much to learn. I appreciate all the info/advice posted here and hope my time in this forum is short.

Welcome to TMC,

A lot of people continue to come here to visit TMC even after their car is delivered, since these cars continue to evolve. This website in particular is very large, with a lot of subforums, so hopefully you find some things here that interest you.

As far as waiting, expect your delivery date to move back and forth (and back and forth) with no rhyme or reason. I would just look at the first set of dates they just gave you, and if those meet your needs, just sit back and wait.

I would not have already applied for financing, since that will likely expire before you take delivery. If it does, you would need to re apply. With that being said, applying now will get you whatever interest rate is in play now, if you take delivery before the rate lock expires.

In any case, congratulations on your order, and try not to pay attention to your estimated delivery date if it bounces around.

Did your SA tell you where the car would be manufactured? I am in Oregon and my SA told me that it would be built in Fremont factory. He mentioned that the East coast cars are made in Texas plant. being in MN, I would think Fremont, but if it is the Dallas facility, maybe that would be a factor? Either way, that is really discouraging.
Your SA seems misinformed. The Fremont factory is the only US factory currently producing model 3s. They’ve JUST started producing model Ys out of giga Texas and that’s all they’re focusing on right now. EDDs are super skewed with end of quarter push. I anticipate a lot of EDD changes within the last ten days of the month as Tesla tries to deliver as many possible units to show the investors on their end of quarter results

They changed my delivery to home delivery. I wanted to pick up. Do you guys think that can be changed back?

Also anybody can provide the 800 number to contact them. The SA ghost on me and no answer at the text I sent to switch payment method
Thanks
I just changed my Sunday delivery for pick up tomorrow. I had it depends on how much parking your local dealer has. They want to deliver as many cars to homes so parking at their lots isn’t impacted. Apparently in Buena Park they’ve been Uber customers to their cars is what the SA said. I can’t confirm that. But Can tomorrow

Well, I might as well add myself to the list. The last time I was here I was working for a Hotel and trying to get them to add Destination Charging. I don't know if they ever did or not as I switched jobs not long after. Fast forward to now. Driving a '02 Crown Vic who is drinking me out of house and home with current fuel prices. I finally decided to push the Button. As of Mar 10, I am officially in line for a Model 3 RWD. Current EDD is 7/30 - 8/27.

It's making this a challenge, as yesterday the Vic decided to potentially blow its transmission. I think it knows its days are numbered...