Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR not currently available to order (USA) [posted 08.12.2022 --Its back! 05.02.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
only to bring it back temporarily with batteries that don't qualify for the full federal tax credit, then take the line down again later this year to implement Highland updates

That's a good point, it does seem strange they'd introduce a new battery pack and not do it at the same time as Highland. So, maybe they are doing it at the same time and Highland is ready in a few months? Or swapping out battery packs has minimal disruption to the production line. That might be the case if externally this new pack is the same and it's just coming from another supplier. Tesla has proven to be quite adept of being able to use a variety of cells and cell form factors in their cars all at once (Model Y comes in 4680, 2170 cells from multiple manufacturers and I think an LFP variety from Shanghai).

Reactions: Diceroller and 42M3
could be true. I just fear for the buyers of the $47k LR version when the Highland version with updated looks/ tech and presumably better range hits the market. to me this 325+ miles "long range" AWD version has to be the most underwhelming of all more recent Model 3 AWD builds... heck my nearly 4yr old Model 3 AWD was rated 310 miles EPA ... just (5%) less than the latest AWD LR version years later...
From the email Tesla sent out to those who had a LR on order, it sounds like the 325+ number is just the number they could 100% guarantee before actual ratings. I would expect it to be higher, if not closer to the old LR number. Lots of unknowns with this Model, like others have said, it really makes no sense for them to have had the LR offline for so long just to bring it back temporarily and then shut it down again for the refresh. Maybe Highland isn’t even coming this year. Hard to say all this till Tesla gives the full details or someone finally gets one.

From the email Tesla sent out to those who had a LR on order, it sounds like the 325+ number is just the number they could 100% guarantee before actual ratings. I would expect it to be higher, if not closer to the old LR number. Lots of unknowns with this Model, like others have said, it really makes no sense for them to have had the LR offline for so long just to bring it back temporarily and then shut it down again for the refresh. Maybe Highland isn’t even coming this year. Hard to say all this till Tesla gives the full details or someone finally gets one.
Spoke with a Tesla salesperson today about my M3LR order, and to no surprise he said he is quite certain this new version/reintroduction is NOT the Highland update.

Spoke with a Tesla salesperson today about my M3LR order, and to no surprise he said he is quite certain this new version/reintroduction is NOT the Highland update.
I'd like to be able to trust what that SA told you, but I'm a little skeptical about how much info is shared with them in general. There's a reason we don't tend to know about changes until after customers receive a vehicle with revised features. My SA was also certain I would get my LR two months ago 😅. I don't think he had any idea they were halting production. Hopefully we can get some concrete facts about it soon.

Did he have any information on what it is going to be then? If not, I’m more apt to side with what Diceroller said.
I'd like to be able to trust what that SA told you, but I'm a little skeptical about how much info is shared with them in general. There's a reason we don't tend to know about changes until after customers receive a vehicle with revised features. My SA was also certain I would get my LR two months ago 😅. I don't think he had any idea they were halting production. Hopefully we can get some concrete facts about it soon.

Yeah I'm with you guys- I don't think he's necessarily more informed than us. When I asked him about the new battery, all he could offer was "I saw on the website that it's 325+, and saw somewhere else it might be 330". The optimist in me is hoping all details are revealed at the shareholder meeting on 5/16/23, though of course there is no real reason to think that'll actually happen....but the calendar does align- reveal on 5/16, deliver 2 weeks later.

A boy can dream, right?

Reactions: Diceroller and 42M3
The old AWD LR before they stopped selling was 350+ miles (!) EPA on 18” aerowheels … I highly doubt that they underpromise that much with their 325+ spec

I agree that this is likely to be a temporary offering for the LR version, pending a more thorough overhaul with the coming Highland version. Or at least I I hope so. I would expect that the Highland overhaul, which reportedly will include design changes making it cheaper to produce, will also be accompanied by a further price drop for a LR version, making much of the current price discrepancy go away.

I noticed that the new ‘LR’ version is not available on the Tesla Canada site. I wonder if that is because LFP batteries do not perform as well in the cold. Albeit there are plenty of places in the northern U.S., where it would be available, where it is also pretty frosty. Maybe Tesla has simply not had time to update the Canada site as well. Anyway, I don’t think that it is confirmed yet that this new version actually uses LFP.
The US configurator still shows:

Very Cold Weather​

For the best long range driving experience in the coldest driving conditions, we recommend a Long Range or Performance Model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
The US configurator still shows:

Very Cold Weather​

For the best long range driving experience in the coldest driving conditions, we recommend a Long Range or Performance Model 3.
Yes, which would suggest that the new LR version is not LFP, or at least not previous versions of the LFP which were sensitive to cold. On the other hand, the new LR version is still not posted as being available on the Tesla Canada site. Weird. Not clear what is going on, at a number of different levels.

Found an interesting tidbit in an article about Canada's MYP changes that sheds light on Tesla's employee communication practices:
Tesla has not made any official comment about this change, not even to employees. According to internal communication obtained by Drive Tesla, the automaker simply told employees there had been a product update to the Model Y, and to refer to the public Design Studio for additional details. However based on similar recent changes, we believe this change is to reflect that the Model Y Performance being sold in Canada is now going to be coming from China.
Source article: Tesla mysteriously reduces Model Y Performance range in Canada, hinting at another import coming soon from China

Found an interesting tidbit in an article about Canada's MYP changes that sheds light on Tesla's employee communication practices:

Source article: Tesla mysteriously reduces Model Y Performance range in Canada, hinting at another import coming soon from China
It’s much cheaper for Tesla to manufacture cars in China and if Canada doesn’t impose as much import tariffs on Chinese cars like the US then they can stand to make much more profit.

Also if overall demand is dying down then they can keep maxing out the Shanghai factory and slow down the American factories to further keep costs down.

Tesla Denies Rumors About New Model 3 Production Starting Soon

As per usual, Tesla doesn't want to admit a refresh could be imminent. I don't blame them since it would undoubtedly impact current sales.
the biggest thing impacting current sales would be the absolute lack-luster "new" AWD long range version of the Model 3.

*less* range than the larger Model Y and only $3k cheaper than the Y but a whopping +$7k more than the SR+ ... hard pass imho for a vehicle which is only projected to get +5% better range than the first (!) Model 3 AWD LR nearly 5 yrs ago...

the biggest thing impacting current sales would be the absolute lack-luster "new" AWD long range version of the Model 3.

*less* range than the larger Model Y and only $3k cheaper than the Y but a whopping +$7k more than the SR+ ... hard pass imho for a vehicle which is only projected to get +5% better range than the first (!) Model 3 AWD LR nearly 5 yrs ago...
There is a group of buyers that do not want an SUV type vehicle. My wife is one. We have a Model 3 on lease that ends in June. I suggested a Y LR. She said no way.

Strangely she likes our Model X, as long as I drive.

I agree that uncertainty around the current LR and its new range is making buyers hesitate. I think they would be less hesitant if they knew exactly what they were getting (and if it was some kind of refresh, they might overlook the price misalignment and range decrease). I have to wonder if that hesitation is enough to push the majority of buyers towards the RWD or the P, in which case withholding info is likely a positive for revenue.

If we come to find out the current LR is just a battery downgrade, I would strongly reconsider going with a P instead and selling the 20" tires and rims to replace with an 18" set right away. But I'm not happy about the rim options being limited by the bigger brake calipers.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I agree that uncertainty around the current LR and its new range is making buyers hesitate. I think they would be less hesitant if they knew exactly what they were getting (and if it was some kind of refresh, they might overlook the price misalignment and range decrease). I have to wonder if that hesitation is enough to push the majority of buyers towards the RWD or the P, in which case withholding info is likely a positive for revenue.

If we come to find out the current LR is just a battery downgrade, I would strongly reconsider going with a P instead and selling the 20" tires and rims to replace with an 18" set right away. But I'm not happy about the rim options being limited by the bigger brake calipers.
i would go for the P ... but i can't stand the ride comfort and prone to damage 20" tires and different suspension (?) in the P. and as you said... the bigger brakes limit what rims you can get to install 18" .... if anything ... Tesla keeps pushing folks to the Y AWD which is a much better "value" than the new 3 AWD. more space , better range, only $3k more.

Reactions: Diceroller
i would go for the P ... but i can't stand the ride comfort and prone to damage 20" tires and different suspension (?) in the P. and as you said... the bigger brakes limit what rims you can get to install 18" .... if anything ... Tesla keeps pushing folks to the Y AWD which is a much better "value" than the new 3 AWD. more space , better range, only $3k more.
I think the p model no longer gets sport suspension.

Since they're still offering the M3P with "normal" range, this kinda proves that what we have here is a shift to a different LR battery supplier (likely outsourcing to China) vs the usual Panasonic-US pack. I could totally see that as a supply constraint where the steadily ramping MYLR is eating most of the Panasonic batteries.

If instead it was the move to the Highland variant there wouldn't be a MYP at existing range - they're not gonna make Highland and non-Highland cars side by side.

I do wonder if some efficiency increases might raise the new M3LR range a bit, hence the 325+ designation that gives some wiggle room. Tesla is also known for getting experience on new packs and subsequently unlocking a bit more range on them based on field data.

We have to remember that, based on the email Tesla sent out, the 325+ is the absolute minimum range they could guarantee, and it will most likely be more than that. The Model Y did seem like a good alternative until I got a quote on insurance for it. It was way more per month than a Model 3 LR. Sadly, I did not get a quote on the Model 3 Performance when I was doing the comparison because instantly having to buy wheels and tires just does not sound appealing to me. I definitely think the actual numbers on the LR will be fine, but if it turns out to be a terrible buy I guess I might consider the Performance or, very sadly, just wait till next year.

I think the reduction in range number is one way Tesla is trying to reduce criticism about their range numbers often being unachievable for many/most drivers except under ideal conditions. And if that is the reason, then I think it is a step in the right direction. Real world range not meeting expectations is a key thing slowing the adoption of EVs.