Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At least in the black test car there is something going on with the steering column just behind the wheel. It looks different than the other pics that people have posted:

Model%203%20steering%20column.png

It does seem different. Looks like it encroaches less in the driver's area. Was it maybe moved toward the passenger a bit?
I don't think so. It looks more like it is moved forward a bit, and maybe a bit up? Better for the space of the legs for driver and front-passenger, and maybe better to read the "IC" part, but longer distance to use the touch screen...

It does seem different. Looks like it encroaches less in the driver's area. Was it maybe moved toward the passenger a bit?
I think it looks more recessed toward the windshield, which makes it harder to reach, but should better address the concerns from others about the speedometer being too close to driver and having to refocus.

Of course this is only judging using the steering wheel as a reference (the prototype screen was almost parallel with wheel face, this one is significantly recessed). It could be possible the driver used the telescoping adjustment on the steering wheel.

Reactions: alseTrick
Whats with the seam on the steering wheel. It's visible on several of the pictures.

Got it - at cruising speed on motorways when you only need < 90 degrees steering in each direction, the top part of the steering wheel folds back, and has a display on the underside with autopilot info. Totally. Not really.

View attachment 221382
That is just the center part where the airbag is and most likely push to sound the horn as well.

Interesting thing I notice as well is the back glass is tinted just like the X windshield. So if you took the X windshield and flipped it around to the back, that's what it would be like. You can see the maroon/gold tint when the light hits it certain angles. The lower part of the back window is clear.

If you look at the pic I posted above you can see that the screen is well behind the steering wheel. It look quite a bit further back than the prototypes shown last year.
I haven't found a prototype photo taken from the same angle for comparison, but this Motor Trend photo-shoot picture taken through the glass roof seems to show the prototype's display to be mounted well behind the steering wheel (from the driver's perspective) as well:
full

However, from this perspective, it's difficult to determine if the offset between the display and steering wheel has changed any or not. If it has, it would have been minor.

At least in the black test car there is something going on with the steering column just behind the wheel. It looks different than the other pics that people have posted:

Model%203%20steering%20column.png
Yes, compared to the through-the-roof photo above of the silver prototype, there's definitely something going on with the steering column on the new test car. Looks like the plastic shroud may have been removed and the column is being worked on. Maybe Félix Godard is doing something with the steering controls (i.e., "spaceship controls") after all? :)

Last edited:
Yes, compared to the through-the-roof photo above of the silver prototype, there's definitely something going on with the steering column on the new test car. Looks like the plastic shroud may have been removed and the column is being worked on. Maybe Félix Godard is doing something with the steering controls (i.e., "spaceship controls") after all? :)
That is my theory as well. Since he did the Mission E interior, which coincidentally had a pod-type thing above the column, I think this is what we will see in the finished product. Depending on semantics, it could technically not be considered a display to make Elon's tweets make sense. And would show necessary info that everyone has been kicking and screaming about not having.

That's my theory anyway. But I'm 0-1 as I was in the HUD camp :p

Status
Not open for further replies.