Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Only 1 Screen Officially

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add a surround? Is that what you're calling a "buildout" specifically around the screen to make it "flush"? Because that would be rather easy and cheap, and not compromise anything. That's all Tesla has to do to decrease the odds of the 3 being labeled a "weird" car.
I don't know what it would be called, but it would be completely superfluous plastic that increases the amount of materials used and adds extra assembly (counter to what Model 3 needs at the moment). It also would not add anything in terms of safety that people complained about (not that I think those claims were valid in the first place). Plus it is unclear that people necessarily dislike the floating design (in general I think it is better than the typical stick-on design many car manufacturers are using today). I guess we will see what happens in a couple of months. Personally, I'm neutral on the design.

I don't really think a one screen-in-the-middle set up is very appealing to the general public and the Model 3 is designed to a mass market car, so if there isn't going to be two screens, that pretty much only leaves one option... HUD, which I have not been a fan of in other cars. I am hoping Tesla has something up their sleeves to make HUD more palatable.

Talk about general public - most have not even heard of "HUD" before. I don't think adding a HUD option would make much difference in car sales.
On the contrary, the large screen is very different from most other ICE cars, and looks very modern and innovative to buyers who have not sat in a Model S or X before.

Reactions: ikjadoon and arnis
Do you have a source for him saying 'no bells and whistles'?
and since when is a HUD a screen? that is like calling a projector a television...they are 2 devices that display things, but they aren't the same thing.

Elon said it during Tesla earnings calls on Feb 22:
Tesla earnings say Model 3 is on track, stock gains: Live blog recap

And yes, HUD is basically a LCD screen projected on the windshield.
Unlike a LCD projector which looks very different from your normal screen if you take it apart (for example, LCD projectors use a 3x LCDs setup), you can take the HUD screen from its housing and optics, and use it as a mini and very bright monitor/display screen.

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon
Single horizontal screen:

Screen-Shot-2015-12-08-at-3.05.jpg

That's the new Mercedes E class.
And actually, it consists of two horizontal screens placed side by side, and not a single screen.

so if there isn't going to be two screens, that pretty much only leaves one option... HUD,
I don't understand why people keep saying this. Fred on Electrek is the same way. There may or may not be a HUD, but you can get by perfectly fine with just the center screen. There's zero reason why there must be a HUD.

There are some signs pointing to a HUD and an AR HUD at that, but it's not a necessity, it's more of a luxury. Those new hires (hologram/UI designers last year) that we all assume were to create an AR HUD could very well be to improve Tesla's internal design tools such as what Elon showed once at SpaceX.

At this point there's still very little evidence of a HUD even though many of us want a awesome augmented reality HUD

• Helpful
Reactions: mhan00 and arnis
The lack of a dashboard/HUD is something that I don't think I could get used to.

It will make sense after part 2 of the Model 3 unveil. Elon

As much as I understand English, HUD and dashboard (display) will not be on Model 3 due to a reason that will be unveiled in part2.

Part 2 was - according to Elon - the AP2 event last fall. So that should mean that you don't need a dashboard/HUD as the car does the driving itself.
Exactly, a spartan interior design is similar to what Google did with the self driving Google Car.

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F97587%2FAP_839476026229.jpg

After the AP 2 reveal, the interior of the Model 3 made sense immediately, and with the benefit of a steering wheel:

yslkjvsq16xtdbojabmb.png

There are going to be a lot of upset people if there's no visual display in front of the driver (be it a hud or binnacle). I will be one of them. And the center display better be flush with the dash.

Tesla cannot seriously think the current interior design is actually going to be a hot seller.
I'm with you. Not the place to save cost on a car. They're likely making even the base model motor needlessly powerful to get a class beating 0-60mph. Would rather save money there than not have a consumption/speed display in front of me.
If the car is coming off the line fully autonomous, sure offer a discount to skip the "extra" display. Don't give the airline pilot a plastic deck chair with a remote because the plane will soon not need a pilot anymore.

have a consumption/speed display in front of me
How often do you actually look at it? How often do you check your mirrors (which aren't in front of you)?

I mean if you are staring at it while driving that's not safe no matter where the placement. Why do you necessarily need battery consumption as you're driving? Just drive the car. If taking a long trip, then simply check the SOC every so often and plan out your next charger visit. You can review your driving habits and consumption per mile when you stop.

As far as speed, I'm sure you check it every so often, like your mirrors. Are you anal about achieving the exact speed limit? If you live in the city it's difficult many times to even get to the speed limit with other traffic. Out in the country, speed limits aren't really enforced/nobody cares if you're going 5 or 10 mph over or under (unless they are stuck behind you). Freeways/highways and speed traps are probably where it's most important and even then you can glance at it every so often without even turning your head.

Look where speed is displayed, you could shift your eyes only and see it in less than a sec:
tesla-model-3-interior.jpg

the SOC is right there too. The UI isn't final, but having the speed right there is easier than looking through a steering wheel.

Are you OK with all the AP graphics and warnings being there too?

View attachment 216297
We don't even know if they will still be offering a separate EAP and FSD package. It might just be all FSD.

That said, if it's doing it's job then you can still take your eyes barely off the road for a second look at it on the center screen. If it's FSD then (supposedly) you'll have even more confidence to watch the screen if you desire.

I don't really think a one screen-in-the-middle set up is very appealing to the general public
No wonder the number of $1,000 Model 3 reservations has been so disappointing. Almost 400,000 people putting down money for a car that only a few hundred of them have seen in person and none of them have driven. Something that has never happened in the history of automobile manufacturing. Tesla management must be very disappointed at the lack of interest in the Model 3 by the general public.

We don't even know if they will still be offering a separate EAP and FSD package. It might just be all FSD.

That said, if it's doing it's job then you can still take your eyes barely off the road for a second look at it on the center screen. If it's FSD then (supposedly) you'll have even more confidence to watch the screen if you desire.
Could EAP really not even be an option for the 3? If so, the outrage might break the internet. ;)

Are you OK with all the AP graphics and warnings being there too?
Fair point.

My personal opinion is that Model 3's sold with the EAP option will include the mysterious "spaceship" controls that Elon referred to in his now famous April 2016 tweet, quote: "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."

I think it likely that the base Model 3 will not include those "controls". They will be an option. And it is possible they will be coupled with the AP option. Or they could be a separate option. Or I could be wrong.

However, I think the AP display would be usable if shown on the left side of the center display. When driving, on AP or otherwise, your visual focus should not be on the display, whether it is in front of you or slightly to the side. You should be watching the road at all times! AP will audibly alert if it thinks there is a problem. If you here an alert, you should not look at the display and try to figure out where the problem is, that takes too long! You should look around you to identify the problem and take action.

Reactions: Cloxxki
No wonder the number of $1,000 Model 3 reservations has been so disappointing. Almost 400,000 people putting down money for a car that only a few hundred of them have seen in person and none of them have driven. Something that has never happened in the history of automobile manufacturing. Tesla management must be very disappointed at the lack of interest in the Model 3 by the general public.
About a quarter of them had not seen the interior when they put down that deposit (including me). The rest may have had the same thought as I had when I saw it: "this is just a mockup and an unfinished interior. It will be changed radical until the production version. Just like it was in Model S and X.

... and it is no reason yet to believe other ways. The one thing that is confirmed now - and during the demo-dives - is that it will be only one screen, and that it will (probably) be horizontal. And I'm fine with that, if they just find some other means to give me the information I need where I need it - in front of me.