Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Only 1 Screen Officially

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was bored and went back to the Model 3 test drives. They repeatedly mention how it's just one screen and how a horizontal screen puts key information in your periphery. And the same for the dashboard being pushed up; it's another design change to help your vision with a single screen. It seems the whole car has been engineered to make one screen enough.

This guy specifically asks if Tesla is going to put a HUD at 2:08. Tesla driver responds with, "we're soliciting customer feedback [to a HUD]."

Either they surreptitiously have added it or Elon really meant "one screen" as the number of visual displays.

Well, even if no HUD, I hope they figure out glare, organizing and de-cluttering the screen, and increased display reliability.

Reactions: cdub
Some people have been questioning how they will manage to crank out hundreds of thousands of 4 door sedans with 200+ mile range for only $35,000, and how they will make the S stand out from the 3. Installing a giant iPad on a stick in the dash board will help them do both. ;)

Last edited:
I hope it will have a HUD or Augmented reality of some sort. I'm sure what ever it is it will be awesome. I'm thinking it might be something like the "Skyscreen HUD". I know that these have not made it to production yet. I think the company has only messed around with prototypes so far. Still pretty cool though. It seems like this type of system would satisfy everyones need and want for a speedo or HUD. Here is the link;

Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
And why does info has to be in front of the drive?
And why should I be blamed when I hit some one? /sarc

I'm fine if people want to be passengers, full time, but don't see the point in being hostile to common sense driving tools for those who don't.

So not only does Tesla seriously think the Model 3 interior design is going to sell well, but the available evidence (number of reservations) supports that view.

Tesla enjoys the image people and "two ton death machines" are unsafe, and, unwittingly or not, fosters this image by hanging people's eyes up on its current center displays. Menus and sub-menus. There is no need to go on about what less-tactile, more-visual control operation does for safety. If demand remains high, I think it will be because nobody else is doing compelling full-electric cars. Not because people favor automation-optimized, over both automation and driving optimized control.

I think it's nonsense to believe dash elimination would be done for cost. Elon Musk is set on his past mistakes, and with this issue I don't believe in "the mission". I don't believe he has to cleave apart people who like his vehicles. Nonetheless, a "mission" is what this already seems like.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that on the picture would be considered "a screen". But with at least the waring lamps in there would help. And the speedometer could be analog - and don't have to be round.

Edit: But I would be glad if they did what you had in that picture :)
It also screams, "thief magnet!"
Fingerprint magnet maybe, but I don't know what a thief would do with a random 15" screen with no standard connectors. It's of absolute no use to anyone else in the world.

Reactions: cdub
I really hope this will be the HUD for the model 3:

I hope the UI looks less like iOS though. I get that this was an example put together by someone. I'm just not an Apple guy for one, two, if this is going to be the car of the future why should it look like the phone of right now?

I hope the finished product looks new and exciting compared to this example.

I do like my iPhone so that is less of a problem for me ;-)
But what I like about this HUD / UI is that it is easy to control without taking your eyes of the road. Also I see quite some benefits of using AR in navigation and visualising some data that can be used by the autonomous driving, but is also useful for assisting a human driver.

I hope the finished product looks new and exciting compared to this example.
Agreed. That video's Playskool layout ain't cutting it. Tesla's graphical design has been generally good, so not concerned about that. A lot of speculation on the would-be HUD, but all HUDs I've used don't work with polarized sunglasses - or are reduced to perhaps 10% visibility. So potentially, such a HUID may be effectively useless in the daytime. This lack of utility may not be as much of a problem if the HUD is relied upon for secondary info only. However, if it's to be the main source of driving info, then forcing people to remove their shades is ridiculous.

Agreed. That video's Playskool layout ain't cutting it. Tesla's graphical design has been generally good, so not concerned about that. A lot of speculation on the would-be HUD, but all HUDs I've used don't work with polarized sunglasses - or are reduced to perhaps 10% visibility. So potentially, such a HUID may be effectively useless in the daytime. This lack of utility may not be as much of a problem if the HUD is relied upon for secondary info only. However, if it's to be the main source of driving info, then forcing people to remove their shades is ridiculous.
Non-snarky question: What are benefits to polarized glasses for driving? I know for fishing, they cut down on water reflections, but is there a noticable improvement for driving? I also wonder if there is a way to treat the "Tesla glass" to where it works better with those glasses.

Non-snarky question: What are benefits to polarized glasses for driving? I know for fishing, they cut down on water reflections, but is there a noticable improvement for driving?
The lens polarization cuts down on glare, mainly where you'd have any source of sun reflection coming at you - buildings, car windows, wet road, etc. When you have a situation with glare, there is a noticeable reduction. In fact in some cases you'd be able to see straight through the window of a car ahead when otherwise it would be opaque with glare.

I also wonder if there is a way to treat the "Tesla glass" to where it works better with those glasses.
One problem is that not all sunglasses are polarized using the same orientation (i.e. completely vertical).

The lens polarization cuts down on glare, mainly where you'd have any source of sun reflection coming at you - buildings, car windows, wet road, etc. When you have a situation with glare, there is a noticeable reduction. In fact in some cases you'd be able to see straight through the window of a car ahead when otherwise it would be opaque with glare.

One problem is that not all sunglasses are polarized using the same orientation (i.e. completely vertical).
Ah thank you! I vaguely remember having trouble seeing an old smartphone before with polarized glasses too. Do they have any effect on in-car entertainment screens or are those designed to account for this issue?