Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Only 1 Screen Officially

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has never "specifically" stated any Tesla model will have a HUD. If you think he has, please provide your source of information.

Elon hasn't even implied there would be a HUD. He has alluded to some "like a spaceship" controls. Whatever that means. There will be something new and different coming from Tesla for a driver display. We don't know what, specifically.

What do spaceship controls look like? I don't know. But I do know what they don't look like, and that's a horizontal version of the model S screen. That is definitely not spaceship like

Having a single screen instead of two is not "new and exclusive" it's just simpler and less expensive.

I agree, whatever it is that is that will be in the Model 3 will be on the S and X first. I'd be willing to go so far as to speculate that the reveal Elon hinted at as happening in the spring (in the next month or two) may be where they reveal the HUD that will be produced for the S and X. They just aren't mentioning it until they are ready or everyone will stop ordering the S and X until the new tech is standard.
That is exactly right

It's a HUD people. @esup - $5,000 bet right here - I win you give $100 to the charity of my choice and publicly eat your shoe. I win I give $5,000 to your choice of charity and eat mine (see Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe). Money to charity of your choice - you're the most confident here in the no HUD camp. Friendly wager?

Is there a charity out there that helps people with medical expenses incurred as a result of ingesting footwear?

• Funny
Reactions: calisnow
Name the car that Tesla has made that has 1 screen.
Name the car that Tesla has made that has HUD.

I keep saying over and over - New to Tesla. I'm not commenting on the marketplace.

New to Tesla means the MS and/or MX will have it first - according to Elon.
I would agree that he probably meant new tech. Notice the door handles are different across all three vehicles.

I'm just quoting Tesla/Elon. You should tweet him. Tell him he's wrong.
If you're going to quote him you should quote the whole thing so you get the context as well.

"The Model S and the X are always going to be our technology leader. We’re not intentionally trying to withhold technology from the 3 but rather because it’s fundamentally more expensive when you have new technology until you can do multiple design iterations and achieve economies of scale. "

Which, to me, means that there is no reason for you to say that the Model 3 only having one screen is getting some new technology before the Model S or X. It's just a screen, it isn't any new technology, it isn't anything that has to be tested or improved upon over iterations. It's just a screen. Just because they haven't done it before doesn't mean it is some great new innovation.

A HUD on the other hand I would fully expect to appear in both the Model S and X first.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Do you have a source for him saying 'no bells and whistles'?

and since when is a HUD a screen? that is like calling a projector a television...they are 2 devices that display things, but they aren't the same thing.

Actually, it is becoming more and more obvious that there will be no HUD.

Elon said that there will be no "bells and whistles" in Model 3, and the final production car will be "pretty close" to the prototypes that we saw.
And the "one screen" statement also makes it clear - as HUD would in effect be a second screen.

Floating screen would seem to present serious concerns in crash testing.
Basically a large screen like that has a good bit of mass and if it moves into an awkward position or is knocked by objects or passengers you could have it interfere with airbag deployment or an occupants head or other part of their body could strike the edge of the screen causing injuries.

I suspect the horizontal format will be maintained but the screen will be somehow integrated into the dash.

that's what everyone saw before putting down $1,000 for the car, for goodness sake.
Why would Tesla do that when they got almost 400,000 people willing to put down money to buy the car they saw shown -- with the center display on a pedestal -- on March 31, 2016?

A lot of people still think there will be major changes. Look how many people just in the comments here are still talking about a integrated screen. They use the X as example when the time frame between showing the prototype and the launch was much bigger and it simply made sense to use the same design in the end.

Other still think the new Vovo designer will have some big impact, when they design was pretty much finalized when he was hired.

People have been waiting for this car a long time and I think there is simply a lot of denial that it might not be what they were expecting.

Reactions: Petra and Max*
A lot of people still think there will be major changes. Look how many people just in the comments here are still talking about a integrated screen. They use the X as example when the time frame between showing the prototype and the launch was much bigger and it simply made sense to use the same design in the end.

Other still think the new Vovo designer will have some big impact, when they design was pretty much finalized when he was hired.

People have been waiting for this car a long time and I think there is simply a lot of denial that it might not be what they were expecting.
I fully agree

Step 1. Tesla makes an announcement that something new is coming!
Step 2. On the forums there's some crazy speculation which gets made into "yep, this is definitely happening" the car will have a 72" screen, camera's instead of mirrors, anti-gravitational seats so you can float instead of sitting, a drone will follow you overhead and carry a spare tire in case you ever need it, etc.
Step 3. And when the reveal finally rolls around, all that's changed is that Tesla added cupholders!

Every damn time.

Reactions: ikjadoon
I'm trying to imagine what Elon, as a visionary, thinks about the existence of speedo clusters.

How people who don't drive see instrument clusters:

They look awesome, lots of colors and gauges, Especially AUDI

What information is actually shown:

Information that is actually valuable and can be absorbed with a fraction of a second.

In case of huge, horizontally positioned LCD that is closer to drivers field of vision (left upper edge) than on Model S, I can't see technical reasons why Model 3 SHOULD have another display device (HUD/LCD) closer to the windshield. And the more autopilot advances, the less and less it is actually needed. There are some things that can and should be resolved, like blind spot warning. Either LED-s in the side mirrors or steering wheel vibration/torque + sound is enough for safety rating points.

I see no reason to display time, outside temperature, battery temperature, state of charge, gear selection, tire pressure, vehicles overall mileage, power/regen value, trip time, trip distance, average fuel economy, vehicles around etc EXTREMELY close to windshield. People spend more time looking at their smartphone screen rather than speed.

If HUD will be available, it will definitely be a Premium option. It will DEFINITELY not have another set of brains. Information can be mirrored directly from main screen in simplified form. I'm not even sure I want it. For 300€ yes definitely, for 1000€ no. But HUD requires special windshield option.

What the prototype had:

What is needed to make it legal:

I would only change PRND - absolutely pointless to show all possible values at the same time.
Also I would display P in place of speed if P is actually engaged.

What should driver do to be a better pilot (or copilot) look on the road! not RPM, battery temperature, range, miles driven, vehicle mileage, time, power output, ecometer/how many trees you've saved and all kind of utter garbage.
For random low priority information (windshield washer fluid low, tire pressure error etc) there is definitely no point to make another display near windshield/on windshield.

I would also add that upper edge of 15" LCD looks to be very close to windshield from eye level. Even closer than Model S speedo. The only difference is that it is reachable and that it can be seen not inside the steering wheel but rather above right hand which is on the steering wheel. Which allows Tesla to design more appropriate wheel:)
Tesla-Model-3-interior-touch-screen.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gwgan and ikjadoon
I'm trying to imagine what Elon, as a visionary, thinks about the existence of speedo clusters.

Excellent post. If they organize the information very well, one screen can definitely work.

But, still (even in those pictures) we have issues of glare, nighttime driving (especially in rural areas or anything less lit than a city street...) and night vision, information density (it already looks rather clustered and that's with Autopilot disabled), and software bugs. Ask any Model S/X owner: the large touchscreen's UI and responsiveness have their fair share of bugs (and those are $100k cars, which should have the best hardware available). Will I want my Autopilot sensing/warnings, my speedometer, my PRND indicator, etc. all on a screen where bugs are somewhat common?

If there are any bugs or performance issues on that screen, people will lose confidence when driving the Model 3. I would feel very wary if I ever saw my speedometer lag out. It's unsettling to even think about now.

---

Unrelated: if it's actually on an arm (instead of integrated flush with the dash), they better make that one darn strong arm. I would hate the screen to wobble/move.

It is possible to run different processes instead of one per screen. So imagine navigation "window" freezes/lags, while speedometer and error lights run on another "always on top" window. If they make the speedo.exe application stable and set "priority" to high (you can try it out with task manager, right click on process and "set priority"). Like with normal operating system, sometimes application freezes but the kernel works. The thing that accepts command of "holding steering wheel buttons to reset" actually still works and resets user interface without actually cutting power.
It is easy to make speedo.exe application stable, especially if it can not be touched (no touch sensitivity aka transparent window). Touching will result actually touching background application.

Screen will definitely be on arm. It must bring LCD much closer than the dashboard, which is much further away on Model 3 compared to many other vehicles, incl Model S.
Most likely the arm itself will be welded to the dashboard carrier frame, LCD will be bolted on with 4 bolts far apart from each other. No wobble expected. Plastic trim around will clip on to the arm, like plastic around steering wheel column.
http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/10/2016/05/2017-Tesla-Model-3-top-view.jpg

Will I want my Autopilot sensing/warnings, my speedometer, my PRND indicator, etc. all on a screen where bugs are somewhat common?
I disagree with your use of the word "common" in this context. I have driven my S over 55K miles since taking delivery in December 2013. I estimate that my drivers display has spontaneously rebooted while driving maybe 5 times. During those 5 times the car of course drove normally, I had no concerns. My center display has spontaneously rebooted or "froze" and then I manually rebooted it maybe a dozen times in 55K miles of driving. Of course that also does not effect the safe operation of the vehicle.

In my experience, spontaneous display reboots are rare as a function of miles driven and they do not effect the safety or operation of the vehicle as long as driver is paying attention, as of course they should be.

But, I think that's just it: the idea that I'll have to restart my speedometer-screen is distressing. Again, if the Model S/X screens showed perfect reliability, I'd be far less concerned. It's possible to make one screen work, but I'm hesitant to say Tesla has gotten it right yet.

I do get the idea that applications can be isolated. That's the only way. But if it happens just once..just once, if you lose Speedo, turn signal lights, PRND...that's enough to hurt confidence significantly. I hope in the next reveal that, if they have no HUD, they can be abundantly confident and open how isolated these systems are.

I mean, I'd really appreciate if restarting the screen didn't kill the speedo. That's the level of isolation that would make me feel safer.

Where would you put the information needed for EAP? Even autonomous driving will need to display information to the person in the driver's seat, if for no other reason than to instill the confidence needed to trust it.

Thank you kindly.

There is no driver sitting in a car that is autonomous. Why show him/her information?
Who is EAP? What information is actually required (source if possible)?