Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Only 1 Screen Officially

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having a single screen instead of two is not "new and exclusive" it's just simpler and less expensive.
Its new to Tesla.

AND having HUD out for only 4-5 months on the MS and MX before M3 production is not really a test bed as far as time is concerned IMHO.

Would Tesla re-design the M3 if customers don't like the HUD on the MS or MX? I don't think so. So.....in my opinion....Tesla should just roll whatever they have out on the M3.

Last edited:
Its new to Tesla.
No it isn't. It's just a screen, both the S and X have large central screen, changing the size and orientation, and removing the dash screen is not new technology, which is what they meant when they said the S and X would get things first.

AND having HUD out for only 4-5 months on the MS and MX before M3 production is not really a test bed as far as time is concerned IMHO.

Would Tesla re-design the M3 if customers don't like the HUD on the MS or MX? I don't think so. So.....in my opinion....Tesla should just roll whatever they have out on the M3.
Why isn't it long enough? A HUD is simply a projection and it is controlled by software which, we know, they can tweak at will. Either way, it doesn't matter at this point, whatever they are going to do has already been decided and won't be changed now.

In the automobile industry, it's almost a certainty that the interior you're shown in an Alpha prototype is either outlandishly futuristic, or completely barren compared to what actually makes it to Production.

I wouldn't worry about the interior, other than the center screen....I'm ok with it...as long as it's flush-mounted in the dash. I'm not a fan of it "dangling" as it currently gets shown as.

I've basically said as much. I think it's obvious they must and will improve the interior. I think making the center screen flush is a must and obvious too.

My only concern is the driving display/gauges/instruments. If displayed in the center dash area it would be a colossal fail that the Germans would have a field day with.

I've basically said as much. I think it's obvious they must and will improve the interior. I think making the center screen flush is a must and obvious too.

My only concern is the driving display/gauges/instruments. If displayed in the center dash area it would be a colossal fail that the Germans would have a field day with.

I'm in the "saving my histrionic rants until I see the finished product" camp.

It's a HUD people. @esup - $5,000 bet right here - I win you give $100 to the charity of my choice and publicly eat your shoe. I win I give $5,000 to your choice of charity and eat mine (see Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe). Money to charity of your choice - you're the most confident here in the no HUD camp. Friendly wager?

I don't like to wager in forum but if it all for charity, then I would take you up on that - though forget about the eat shoe part....

This is what I would bet on:
There will be no HUD in the base model of Model 3 at launch.

Cool. More declarative statements from you that you don't actually know the truth about.

What's your point? What's your definition of "declarative statements"?
Nobody outside Tesla knows anything about the truth.

If displayed in the center dash area it would be a colossal fail that the Germans would have a field day with.

I think everyone should give it a chance and TEST DRIVE A MODEL 3 BEFORE WRITING IT OFF!
No HUD and center screen only is NOT a deal breaker for most buyers - that's what everyone saw before putting down $1,000 for the car, for goodness sake.

I have been driving BMWs with HUD (one of the best HUD implementation) for many years. It is optional for me.
And I can't see it with my polarized sunglasses on anyways. So yeah, while it is nice to have HUDs, I don't miss it when I can't see it with my sunglasses on.

And why does info has to be in front of the drive?
Honestly, I look at the mirrors (which are way off from the front of the drive) more often than I look at the instrumental panel.
I think once you test drive and see what Tesla has to offer, you may change your mind. And if you don't, I would be happy to move up a spot ;)

Reactions: JeffK
No it isn't. It's just a screen, both the S and X have large central screen, changing the size and orientation, and removing the dash screen is not new technology, which is what they meant when they said the S and X would get things first.

Why isn't it long enough? A HUD is simply a projection and it is controlled by software which, we know, they can tweak at will. Either way, it doesn't matter at this point, whatever they are going to do has already been decided and won't be changed now.
Listen.

A single screen is NEW
HUD would be NEW.

And, if the initial production Model 3 doesn't get a HUD, maybe it'll be added in the 2018 or 2019 cars. Tesla adds features all the time, right, like AP2?

But, that's not when they're still working through the pre-order backlog.

Ooh, that's a good point. Will Tesla avoid any sizeable updates to the Model 3, while they work through the backlog? Or, say in July 2018, they add a HUD?

Of all the things you listed most cars now don't have them in front of the driver either, why would it be so bad if Tesla doesn't either? Simply because the S and the X do it that way? That's a silly reason to do something ....

Most 35k (all 35k?) and many 25k plus cars have a lot of that information in front of the driver. And that still doesn't address monitoring autopilot and autopilot alerts.

Any current AP model S/X owners want to weigh in on how necessary the information about AP that the IC displays is?

OK guys...here we go again......

I feel we're drawn back to this one.....

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

Henry Ford

honestly, if you don't want to try something new in the automotive industry and your own personal driving experience....what are you waiting for, you can go out and get a beige Camry RIGHT NOW....no waiting!!

1. Heads Up Display is not new technology - it's been in many cars for several years. It works great in all lighting conditions. It doesn't need to be "tested out" in Teslas before the Model 3.
2. Having only a center-mounted display of gauges is not new (Nissan did it in the early 2000's X-Trail although personally I hated it - had a few as loaners)
3. If Model 3 is looking to reduce complexities why would they add HUD rather than just a standard display or set of gauges in front of the steering wheel? Perhaps because the dash can be the same shape for LH and RH drive cars?
4. I'm kind of disappointed that Model 3 will "not have the bells & whistles" that Model S has... I was hoping for a version of the car with all the bells & whistles but without the relatively large size of the Model S.
5. Can't wait to see what they come out with... I suspect it may be a little underwhelming but what did we expect for a pure EV at $35k?

OK guys...here we go again......

I feel we're drawn back to this one.....

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

Henry Ford

honestly, if you don't want to try something new in the automotive industry and your own personal driving experience....what are you waiting for, you can go out and get a beige Camry RIGHT NOW....no waiting!!
New doesn't always mean better. Like a new horse.

Actually nothing we are mentioning is new to the marketplace. Its new to tesla though.

Last edited:
1. Heads Up Display is not new technology - it's been in many cars for several years. It works great in all lighting conditions. It doesn't need to be "tested out" in Teslas before the Model 3.
2. Having only a center-mounted display of gauges is not new (Nissan did it in the early 2000's X-Trail although personally I hated it - had a few as loaners)
3. If Model 3 is looking to reduce complexities why would they add HUD rather than just a standard display or set of gauges in front of the steering wheel? Perhaps because the dash can be the same shape for LH and RH drive cars?
4. I'm kind of disappointed that Model 3 will "not have the bells & whistles" that Model S has... I was hoping for a version of the car with all the bells & whistles but without the relatively large size of the Model S.
5. Can't wait to see what they come out with... I suspect it may be a little underwhelming but what did we expect for a pure EV at $35k?
Hopefully the upper priced M3 will have some bells and whistles. Elon did indeed say that the $35K version will be a really nice car.