Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't expect an invite to configure until July 1, that way $2500 x number of configurations is counted in Q3. I also expect that Performance will be delivered in 3 - 4 weeks max in CA (sorry East coast although first to configure you will be last to deliver that is a fundamental law of the Tesla Universe).

So cool your jets until July 1 and stop hitting ENTER, makes no difference.

I have not read this entire thread, but is there somewhere i could find the logic of why almost no invites have been reported in the last 6 weeks? I know the sheet is correct, I am asking if someone has some sound logic as to why this is.

I am asking if someone has some sound logic as to why this is.

There are two reasons:
1. They had sent out too many invites. The red line here shows people who are waiting for a VIN. On 23rd April, there were 1,666 people but that's just people who submitted their data to the spreadsheet. The actual number was over 20,000.
2. Production has been slow. The green line here shows the total units produced. The rate dropped after 15th May. They made about 1,000 units per week from mid-May to mid-June.

In case you are wondering, didn't Elon say 500/day (3,500/week) during the shareholder meeting? Not exactly. He said the production line has demonstrated the capability. Here is a video that shows the exact phrase. That statement was technically correct. However, at that time, they were actually making only 144 units per day for the last 3 weeks.

Last edited:
There are two rea
sons:
1. They had sent out too many invites. The red line here shows people who are waiting for a VIN. On 23rd April, there were 1,666 people but that's just people who submitted their data to the spreadsheet. The actual number was over 20,000.
2. Production has been slow. The green line here shows the total units produced. The rate dropped after 15th May. They made about 1,000 units per week from mid-May to mid-June.

In case you are wondering, didn't Elon say 500/day (3,500/week) during the shareholder meeting? Not exactly. He said the production line has demonstrated the capability. Here is a video that shows the exact phrase. That statement was technically correct. However, when Elon said 500/day, they were actually making only 142 units per day for the last 3 weeks.
Really appreciate the answer, thank you

and I am very familiar with the Tesla wordsmithing :). I think you might be the first person I have seen here who has pointed it out though, very unique for a Tesla fan.

THanks again

I created these tables recently so people can understand the federal tax credits situation better. As you might know, if Tesla reaches 200,000 USA sales this month, $7,500 will continue until the end of Q3 2018. If they reach it after this month, then it will continue until the end of Q4 2018. After that, it drops to $3,750 for two quarters and then to $1,875 for two more. There is no limit on the number of people who can claim the federal tax credits. It's unlimited. Hitting 200,000 USA sales only triggers the phaseout calendar. That's all. It has no other function. If you want to read the rules, click here and expand the Phaseout section.

Of course, the question is, will Tesla reach 200,000 USA sales in Q2 or Q3 2018. The first table shows two calculations. Method 1 is based on the low estimates by insideEVs. Method 2 is based on my calculation. In either case, it appears Tesla will reach 200,000 this quarter.

The second table shows scheduled Model 3 deliveries people have reported in the invites spreadsheet. There are very few deliveries in July. The live version of table 1 and 2 can be found here. The 3rd table shows scheduled Model X deliveries. The S/X spreadsheet is here. It doesn't look like Tesla is trying to postpone the 200K limit. Therefore the most likely scenario is that $7,500 will continue for deliveries until 30 Sep 2018.

You might say, how about Canada deliveries? If Tesla wasn't trying to postpone the 200K, why would they start deliveries to Canada so early? Because the $14,000 Ontario EV rebate is about to be scrapped. There is a recent news article about it here. This is not a surprise. I wrote about this a few months ago here.

In addition, I don't think the slow production is intentional. There are lots of people who configured more than 60 days ago and still haven't received VINs. That wasn't the plan.

gB09YOD.png

FoqFVvi.png

I created these tables recently so people can understand the federal tax credits situation better. As you might know, if Tesla reaches 200,000 USA sales this month, $7,500 will continue until the end of Q3 2018. If they reach it after this month, then it will continue until the end of Q4 2018. After that, it drops to $3,750 for two quarters and then to $1,875 for two more. There is no limit on the number of people who can claim the federal tax credits. It's unlimited. Hitting 200,000 USA sales only triggers the phaseout calendar. That's all. It has no other function. If you want to read the rules, click here and expand the Phaseout section.

Of course, the question is, will Tesla reach 200,000 USA sales in Q2 or Q3 2018. The first table shows two calculations. Method 1 is based on the low estimates by insideEVs. Method 2 is based on my calculation. In either case, it appears Tesla will reach 200,000 this quarter.

The second table shows scheduled Model 3 deliveries people have reported in the invites spreadsheet. There are very few deliveries in July. The live version of table 1 and 2 can be found here. The 3rd table shows scheduled Model X deliveries. The S/X spreadsheet is here. It doesn't look like Tesla is trying to postpone the 200K limit. Therefore the most likely scenario is that $7,500 will continue for deliveries until 30 Sep 2018.

You might say, how about Canada deliveries? If Tesla wasn't trying to postpone the 200K, why would they start deliveries to Canada so early? Because the $14,000 Ontario EV rebate is about to be scrapped. There is a recent news article about it here. This is not a surprise. I wrote about this a few months ago here.

In addition, I don't think the slow production is intentional. There are lots of people who configured more than 60 days ago and still haven't received VINs. That wasn't the plan.

gB09YOD.png

FoqFVvi.png
Very interesting work here. It seems to me that hitting 200K total US deliveries is all but a lock at this point. Even in a very dire scenario - only 4,000 M3 in June, they would still cross over. I also agree that there must be some big production slowdown on purpose. They invited a lot of people in anticipation of much better May/June production and when it didn’t happen they stopped invitations. Since then VINs and deliveries are quite slow. Since we still aren’t seeing any invitations, I am betting that production remains bogged down.

gB09YOD.png

FoqFVvi.png
Thanks Troy, your data gathering and logic is very sound and appreciated.

Do you have a theory as to why they want to hit the 200k in Q2?

My only possible theories are

1) Just simply cant hold off sales to the US with current cash flow

2) Want as much demand as possible in Q3

3) Just dont care? Believe it wont affect demand? Seems out there but maybe?

• Informative
Reactions: avoigt
Do you have a theory as to why they want to hit the 200k in Q2?

I'm pretty sure Tesla does not want to do that. They would have preferred to avoid the 200K in Q2 if it was possible. This quarter is just like all other quarters. They are finishing the quarter with strong US deliveries and they are trying to deliver as many cars as possible by the end of the quarter. In fact, only 2 people have reported July Model X deliveries so far, compared to 103 people in June. Based on VIN data, S+X production will be around 23,755 units in Q2. This is just an ordinary quarter in terms of S/X production and deliveries. I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Model 3 production hasn't been great but even then the production will increase by more than 100% compared to Q1. This chart they showed during the shareholder meeting is realistic. I have looked into all the numbers and compared them to the actual sources. I still expect the Model 3 to remain the #1 best selling mid-sized premium sedan in the US. The numbers for the competition are as follows:

US sales per quarter
15,000-17,000 units, Mercedes C-Class
12,000-16,000 units, BMW 3 Series
7,500-10,000 units, Audi A4
5,500-7,000 units, Lexus IS

In Q2 2018, Model 3 deliveries in the US should be around 17,000-18,000 units. In Q3, it could be more than double that.

Non-owner reserved online 03/31/16
Invited 04/18/18
Configured 04/19/18 MSM aero
June delay email
Edit button disappeared 6/20
Contacted 6/21 (no VIN)
Fremont pickup 7/2

It’s been a long wait but happy the prize is near. Hopefully no issues, would hate to reject.

• Informative
Reactions: immunogold
I'm pretty sure Tesla does not want to do that. They would have preferred to avoid the 200K in Q2 if it was possible. This quarter is just like all other quarters. They are finishing the quarter with strong US deliveries and they are trying to deliver as many cars as possible by the end of the quarter. In fact, only 2 people have reported July Model X deliveries so far, compared to 103 people in June. Based on VIN data, S+X production will be around 23,755 units in Q2. This is just an ordinary quarter in terms of S/X production and deliveries. I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Model 3 production hasn't been great but even then the production will increase by more than 100% compared to Q1. This chart they showed during the shareholder meeting is realistic. I have looked into all the numbers and compared them to the actual sources. I still expect the Model 3 to remain the #1 best selling mid-sized premium sedan in the US. The numbers for the competition are as follows:

US sales per quarter
15,000-17,000 units, Mercedes C-Class
12,000-16,000 units, BMW 3 Series
7,500-10,000 units, Audi A4
5,500-7,000 units, Lexus IS

In Q2 2018, Model 3 deliveries in the US should be around 17,000-18,000 units. In Q3, it could be more than double that.

Thanks Troy for all your hard work and logic. It looks like Q2 will be lower than expected, unless they’re able to burst soon. At this rate do you see Tesla being able to burst to 5k end of quarter?

Really appreciate the answer, thank you

and I am very familiar with the Tesla wordsmithing :). I think you might be the first person I have seen here who has pointed it out though, very unique for a Tesla fan.

THanks again
You're too new to know. I (and others) have done enough of the critique of Musk's language and his expectation management, but eventually, I, and most other reasonable bulls get tired of relentless optimism of cheerleaders and we stop arguing it. I have over 30 bull cheerleaders Ignored, because I don't feel they contribute meaningfully to discussion.
But I've read many of your arguments, and I'm not impressed that you're level-headed as much as you think you are. I've seen few of your answers to @Zaxxon yesterday that make me think you suffer from very heavy confirmation bias. Your short thesis seems weak and morphing too. I find good short thinking from @YasB and @CuriousSunbird and you want to follow on the long side @DaveT @jhm @jesselivenomore @aimc, probably quite a few more, but these are first that come to mind...

I think they could achieve the target weekly rate in the last 7 days. That's not very important. Generally speaking, Q2 is a success when you look at the quarterly production numbers. Tesla released these numbers after Q1: Tesla Q1 2018 Vehicle Production and Deliveries. Looking at the statements there, I think the next release might include the following talking points:
  • Q2 production total was 48,000+ units, a 40% increase compared to Q1.
  • Model 3 production increased by 150%.
  • Model 3 is the #1 best selling mid-sized premium sedan in the US.
  • In the last days of Q2, Tesla achieved 5,000/week Model 3 production rate.
Here is a chart that shows what I would expect to see in Q2. It's looking good. Q3 will be much better. Temporary production issues are not important.

RtZnpBD.png

Last edited:
But I've read many of your arguments, and I'm not impressed that you're level-headed as much as you think you are. I've seen few of your answers to @Zaxxon yesterday that make me think you suffer from very heavy confirmation bias. Your short thesis seems weak and morphing too. I find good short thinking from @YasB and @CuriousSunbird and you want to follow on the long side @DaveT @jhm @jesselivenomore @aimc, probably quite a few more, but these are first that come to mind...

ok look, I am all about constructive criticism, and admit I rarely come to this specific forum (or any non investor forum on TMC) and i was probably exaggerating about how many/few reasonable bulls there are out there (I know there are plenty of smart people here, and i came here to find them and have spoken with many), and maybe you dont like my posting style which is fine

but please qualify the above? Don't just make stuff up to discredit me.

Also, if you think the Tesla Bull cheerleaders are annoying, you should try and sift through some of the bear stuff. As a pro EV guy and left leaning individual on most issues, the conservative demographic that hates EV are BRUTAL to have to sift through/block

edit: Thanks for the follow recs, i will definitely do that (not sarcastic)

Last edited:
I think they could achieve the target weekly rate in the last 7 days. That's not very important. Generally speaking, Q2 is a success when you look at the quarterly production numbers. Tesla released these numbers after Q1: Tesla Q1 2018 Vehicle Production and Deliveries. Looking at the statements there, I think the next release might include the following talking points:
  • Q2 production total was 48,000+ units, a 40% increase compared to Q1.
  • Model 3 production increased by 150%.
  • Model 3 is the #1 best selling mid-sized premium sedan in the US.
  • In the last days of Q2, Tesla achieved 5,000/week Model 3 production rate.
Here is a chart that shows what I would expect to see in Q2. It's looking good. Q3 will be much better. Temporary production issues are not important.

RtZnpBD.png

This is a good looking chart. I really wish they would do less of the 'extrapolate an hour' type stuff. Production per Q should be the only production metric that matters going forward, the weekly word games have grown old and are a distraction.

Curious about something. My VIN came in today, I called ISA and got a delivery date. I updated the spreadsheet with the new data, and what I see is that my delivery status is set to "Delivered". This is not a value I got to input, so it must be calculated. How did it come up with "Delivered"?

Obviously, not a huge deal, but I am running out of things to fret over. If it's a bug, I'll be happy if my report helps fix it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: immunogold and Troy