Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just have to say that CJ's web site, and in particular the Latest VIN page, is tremendous. That's my new daily stop to see today's VIN assignments and how close the configured dates are getting to the date I configured. Well done!

Reactions: chojn1
I just have to say that CJ's web site, and in particular the Latest VIN page, is tremendous. That's my new daily stop to see today's VIN assignments and how close the configured dates are getting to the date I configured. Well done!

Thanks @RTPEV, glad it was helpful.
One of my computer screen either at the office or at home is always parked on the 'Last Edits' table in the 'All Entries' page.
I am hoping Tesla can cure my addiction soon.
CJ

Got my invite in December (was a day one reservation), but didn't configure and place my order until April 6 (at which time there was a 3 to 6 week estimate). I was originally waiting for more configuration options to become available (heck, I was originally hoping to get the "cheap" shorter range battery configuration given that my X has unlimited supercharging), but my wife and I ultimately decided we should act now before the $7,500 Federal credit starts to phase out.

I received my VIN yesteday (196xx) and today I received an e-mail saying to expect delivery in 2 to 3 weeks. Not too shabby and not far off the original estimate, even with the production shutdown.

I'd add it to the spreadsheet, but can't figure out how to edit it.

Last edited:
Warning: skip this entire post if you don't want to hear a looooong rant.

I do owe all of you an explanation about the behind the scene events of the spreadsheet the last few days.

Originally when I resurrected the spreadsheet back in December, it was to continue @schonelucht's work of collecting and tabulating Model 3 informations. (See original post)

It was supposed to be a fun project while I wait for the car. Like most of us here, I am here because I love the company and this car, and I thought this would be a great way to bring the community together. I have always maintained that the data of spreadsheet belongs not to me, but to the community that made it possible. My job is one of a custodian. My charge is to protect the data.

Troy came along a few weeks later and asked to join. I thought sure, the more the better. But once in, Troy did not want anyone else involved, and there were quite a few that have asked. I didn't care at the time as Troy was putting in a lot of time and work and didn't need any help.

Things began to sour about a couple of months ago. I knew that the Google sheet which was never designed to handle web traffic will bog down with heavy user load. and we were about to be hit with a heavy user load with the non-owner invites. I suggested that we start a web page as the front end to the database backend. Troy disagreed saying we don't have a problem and the webpage is not needed.

But as the connection problems with the spreadsheet mounts, it became obvious that we do have a problem. So we got together to optimize the spreadsheet by culling old tables and old data. At first it was by mutual consent, but eventually Troy took over and deleted any info he felt like. Funny thing is that it was always my table and my tabs that he felt like deleting. I would come back from a weekend, and whole sections of my work would be missing. Then came the clones which did fine during the evening, but didn't help much in peak traffic. So I finally convinced him to grudgingly let me start the web page. Not quite sure why I needed permission, but I thought it was the right thing to do as a partnership.

Last week, I made a post in response to another member here on TMC putting a link to the webpage. I made the mistake of telling Troy about it. He immediately demanded that I take down that post saying that my website was not ready and that it was below his standard. He stated that if I didn't take down that post, then he would ban me from the project. He then stated that he did not want anything to do with the website and that he did not want his name involved. I did deleted that post to appease him, but that left a rather sour taste. I felt bullied.

Three days ago, Troy wanted access to my website so he can "help improve it" an he wants my owner password to the spreadsheet. When I refused, he began to lock me out. First it was just deletion of the link to the website. Then it was editing privilege to the database. If I was not going to give him the owner password, then he was not going to give me editing rights. The last straw came when he cut off the data feed to the website yesterday.

At first I thought I don't need this aggravation. Just let him have his way and I would go on to a happier life. But I remember my duty to protect the data. If I quit now, I would leave the data in the hand of a single person with questionable ethics - one who was previously banned from this site and who is currently in dispute with another member here regarding ownership of the data.

So over the course of the afternoon yesterday, I resurrected the website and the database behind it. I just didn't want to fail my charge.

Going forward, I want to turn the site over to the community who do actually owns the data. Perhaps have it hosted here or on M3OC. I will finish setting it up and can remain to advise but someone else should take charge.

CJ

Warning: skip this entire post if you don't want to hear a looooong rant.

I do owe all of you an explanation about the behind the scene events of the spreadsheet the last few days.

Originally when I resurrected the spreadsheet back in December, it was to continue @schonelucht's work of collecting and tabulating Model 3 informations. (See original post)

It was supposed to be a fun project while I wait for the car. Like most of us here, I am here because I love the company and this car, and I thought this would be a great way to bring the community together. I have always maintained that the data of spreadsheet belongs not to me, but to the community that made it possible. My job is one of a custodian. My charge is to protect the data.

Troy came along a few weeks later and asked to join. I thought sure, the more the better. But once in, Troy did not want anyone else involved, and there were quite a few that have asked. I didn't care at the time as Troy was putting in a lot of time and work and didn't need any help.

Things began to sour about a couple of months ago. I knew that the Google sheet which was never designed to handle web traffic will bog down with heavy user load. and we were about to be hit with a heavy user load with the non-owner invites. I suggested that we start a web page as the front end to the database backend. Troy disagreed saying we don't have a problem and the webpage is not needed.

But as the connection problems with the spreadsheet mounts, it became obvious that we do have a problem. So we got together to optimize the spreadsheet by culling old tables and old data. At first it was by mutual consent, but eventually Troy took over and deleted any info he felt like. Funny thing is that it was always my table and my tabs that he felt like deleting. I would come back from a weekend, and whole sections of my work would be missing. Then came the clones which did fine during the evening, but didn't help much in peak traffic. So I finally convinced him to grudgingly let me start the web page. Not quite sure why I needed permission, but I thought it was the right thing to do as a partnership.

Last week, I made a post in response to another member here on TMC putting a link to the webpage. I made the mistake of telling Troy about it. He immediately demanded that I take down that post saying that my website was not ready and that it was below his standard. He stated that if I didn't take down that post, then he would ban me from the project. He then stated that he did not want anything to do with the website and that he did not want his name involved. I did deleted that post to appease him, but that left a rather sour taste. I felt bullied.

Three days ago, Troy wanted access to my website so he can "help improve it" an he wants my owner password to the spreadsheet. When I refused, he began to lock me out. First it was just deletion of the link to the website. Then it was editing privilege to the database. If I was not going to give him the owner password, then he was not going to give me editing rights. The last straw came when he cut off the data feed to the website yesterday.

At first I thought I don't need this aggravation. Just let him have his way and I would go on to a happier life. But I remember my duty to protect the data. If I quit now, I would leave the data in the hand of a single person with questionable ethics - one who was previously banned from this site and who is currently in dispute with another member here regarding ownership of the data.

So over the course of the afternoon yesterday, I resurrected the website and the database behind it. I just didn't want to fail my charge.

Going forward, I want to turn the site over to the community who do actually owns the data. Perhaps have it hosted here or on M3OC. I will finish setting it up and can remain to advise but someone else should take charge.

CJ

Many thanks for your efforts. The website is better even than the spreadsheet. Wish you'll could sort it out on behalf of greater good. Also, has this already impacted VIN registrations etc. since numbers seem to be way down yesterday.
At a minimum, hope they can be a single data entry point even if the projects split, or community as a whole decides which one to keep.
:(

Reactions: zmarty
Originally when I resurrected the spreadsheet back in December, it was to continue @schonelucht's work of collecting and tabulating Model 3 informations. (See original post)...Troy came along a few weeks later and asked to join.

I did not know this -- looks like I am giving attribution incorrectly on the website I built. Sorry about that, I'm going to work on changing it.

CJ

As you know, I have a simple site set up to pull data from the spreadsheet and build charts from that data.

I'm happy to work with you to take some of the ideas from my work and combine it with yours. I offered this originally to Troy, but he wasn't interested in my work -- only in putting me to work on things I didn't offer to help with.

The biggest idea behind my site is to pull the data from the spreadsheet periodically into a faster local database that can have its data queried and charted faster. There are a couple of other ideas I've integrated such as making the URL carry the selected filter parameters so that the site can load with the filters set so only a partial data set needs to be sent to the browser client. This all means that the spreadsheet itself can remain relatively fast since the charts query a separate data source.

As I've stated before, my intention was never to take away from the original project, just to alleviate issues I was having using the spreadsheets. I just wanted to share that solution. There are a lot of ways we can bring my efforts together with yours -- I'm open to further discussion surrounding how you would like to do that.

I think I can speak for the community when I say we all appreciate the enormous effort put into building out this tracker. We've all spent countless hours at work and at home browsing the spreadsheet.

The community has worked together to contribute to this project and ownership of it should belong to no singular person. An example of this is Reddit's April Fool's creation: /r/place, where hundreds of thousands of people (and sub-reddits) worked together in a decentralized way to achieve their individual goals.

CJ and Troy have done an outstanding job on the project management and working out any technical issues since the inception of this project. However, it is clear to me (and I presume many others) that there is increasing tension and antagonism from Troy. The original banning from TMC, the aggression towards mwu's site, and now this - all indicate to me that there are some underlying problems that need to be addressed. The easiest method, as CJ writes, is to turn the project back over to the community. The data, which is technically already public information, is the only thing that should be closely regulated/validated.

Honestly, the project is at a very mature stage and all the charts/graphs that are currently used should satisfy 90%+ of the end users. There shouldn't be the need for huge overhauls or updates. If people want a specific view of something, they can create it themselves and publish it for others to see. I don't want to discount the contributions of everyone including CJ and Troy, but it just isn't necessarily to micro manage this project anymore.

Here is the current situation: @chojn1 is working on his website here and has a Google form. I have another Google form and I'm working on the spreadsheets. The two projects are going in different directions. If you look at the tables and charts on the website and in the spreadsheet, most of them are different. Some of the questions in the google form are also different now because I added more questions.

I don't mind @chojn1 going his own way and continuing with the website. I will continue with the spreadsheets. I created almost all the charts and tables in the spreadsheet. I also created the form we were using to collect entries and created a backend spreadsheet that's pretty complicated which I use for autocorrections and notifications about errors.

I would prefer to have a single data entry point and split the output. That's what we were doing up until @chojn1 decided to part ways. However, @chojn1 seems to have moved on with his website idea and I'm OK with that.

Here is the current situation: @chojn1 is working on his website here and has a Google form. I have another Google form and I'm working on the spreadsheets. The two projects are going in different directions.

That's a shame, as it means that the value of the project will drop precipitously due to partial/less representative data in each. As it sounds like @chojn1's first desire would be to not split the data, I hope you guys can work it out.

I don't want to 'take sides' as I'm an outsider in this case, but I will say that I hope that you learned something from the brouhaha raised by you, @Troy, in the Disagree Battle of 2018, and that that behavior does not reflect what's going on behind the scenes in this case. We're all friends here.

I would prefer to have a single data entry point and split the output. That's what we were doing up until @chojn1 decided to part ways. However, @chojn1 seems to have moved on with his website idea and I'm OK with that.

Sorry I just don't buy it. It seems to me you butted in an existing project and tried to take it over.

Your actions are now directly impacting our efforts to track deliveries.

• Disagree
Reactions: 03DSG and EinSV