Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Does not explain why Tesla Model 3 looks like this after 4600 km. White spots are not dirt.

Looking soon like this in the video...

IMG_20190613_172151.jpg

You have to be delusional to think that this is common with all black cars. Its not. Pull yourself away from the koolaid on occasion.

Guess what? Is not a Tesla Model 3 .

Black paint shows everything and that's why I am done with black cars after my third one. I was able to polish out the defects. That what happens when you try to save money on paint lol I am glad Tesla is making the base color white.

IMG_20171209_161216.jpg

IMG_20181025_174819284.jpg

Post no 68648 in Investor's Roundtable, by member FactCecking:

Here's the allegations in the Tesla vs. Martin Tripp court case (in Document #1):

Docket for Tesla, Inc. v. Tripp, 3:18-cv-00296-LRH-CBC - CourtListener.com

"Tesla has only begun to understand the full scope of Tripp’s illegal activity, but he has thus far admitted to writing software that hacked Tesla’s manufacturing operating system (“MOS”) and to transferring several gigabytes of Tesla data to outside entities. This includes dozens of confidential photographs and a video of Tesla’s manufacturing systems. "

"The improper means used by Tripp to acquire and disclose Tesla’s trade secrets include:

a. Breaching specific provisions of the Proprietary Information Agreement;
b. Writing software to hack Tesla’s MOS;
c. Exfiltrating confidential and proprietary data from Tesla’s MOS for the purpose of sharing the data with persons outside the company;
d. Sending third parties a confidential code or “query”;
e. Taking and sharing with third parties dozens of photographs of Tesla’s manufacturing systems;
f. Taking and sharing with third parties a video of Tesla’s manufacturing systems; and
g. Attempting to conceal electronic evidence of his misappropriation and disclosure of trade secrets."

[...]
If those allegations are true (they might not be), the pattern is at minimum industrial espionage, and sabotage for profits isn't an idea far removed, especially considering his TSLAQ affiliations.

I didn't find the paint shop connection though, and since Tripp was employed at GF1, it would be difficult but not impossible to imagine him understanding the paint shop code and procedures to launch successful sabotage. Note that there was a very interesting increase in paint quality last summer, and paint sabotage would be a particularly nasty variant as it requires a very expensive recall. So I don't exclude the possibility.

Edit: found the paint shop sabotage allegation, it's in a NYT article quoted by @EinSV:

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

"At 6:30 a.m. on Aug. 18, three robots in the paint shop at the Tesla factory in Fremont, Calif., started malfunctioning. The incident forced a production halt on the Model 3, the key to the company’s future.

Made aware of the stoppage, Mr. Musk went to the factory and worked into the night. The problem was resolved, but Tesla reached a troubling conclusion: The robots had been infected with malware in an act of industrial sabotage. And though they could not prove it, executives suspected they knew the culprit: a rogue employee, working at the behest of short-sellers."
So I suspect the sabotage (or botched malware attack) did happen, and they suspected Tripp but couldn't link it to him.

Anyway, I think the sabotage angle was, fortunately, just a minor factor - most of the big delays in the Model 3 ramp-up were self-inflicted by Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnii__82
Apologies for only top and tailing this topic so asking a couple of questions that may already been answered.
  • Is the root cause of this known?
  • Is there a specific manufacturing date range that this problem affects
  • Will it affect recent build cars? Being totally selfish, cars made since May 2019?
thanks

-Ian

Apologies for only top and tailing this topic so asking a couple of questions that may already been answered.
  • Is the root cause of this known?
  • Is there a specific manufacturing date range that this problem affects
  • Will it affect recent build cars? Being totally selfish, cars made since May 2019?
thanks

-Ian
Obviously nothing official. I think it's a design decision for aesthetic and aero reasons, that make the Model 3 more prone to this kind of paint damage.

Many cars are vertically-sided in order to minimize dirt from blasting the sides of the car. Not the Tesla, it undercuts, so that the bottom part of the rockers and doors are exposed to the dirt being kicked up by the tires. The vehicles that aren't vertically-sided might compensate by putting dark gray plastic covering the exposed rocker areas. The Tesla has a little bit of dark gray plastic down there, but not much. Other vehicles might have a little PPF to cover the risk areas on the rockers. Some vehicles have little mudflaps extending down from the wheelwells, to lower the risk of dirt flying up. Not the Tesla. Why? It has to be aero and aesthetics.

It also doesn't help that the bottom is covered by the battery cover and/or the under tray, like an F1 car. That helps the aero and allows more dirt to be carried by the smoothed airflow towards the back. Other cars with open bottoms would have that dirt fly up, hit some metal suspension bits or muffler, etc and fall to the ground.

So, the design for aesthetic and aero reasons, make it more likely that the paint on vulnerable areas will get blasted by dirt. I'm not sure any paint, hard or soft would survive that kind of abuse. The only way to avoid it, is to either drive in areas without lots of dirt on the road surface, or to install either mudguards, or PPF. Could be very cheap to fix beforehand, as little as $25 for DIY mudguards, or very expensive to fix afterward.

Painting the whole car (doors included) in one piece apparently has also introduced some unusually poorly painted areas.

There was also the rumor on Twitter or somewhere that Tesla skipped some rust protection step on Model 3 that is usually done these days that might explain the quick rusting on some cars, anyone got any more on that?

• Funny
Reactions: juanmedina
Painting the whole car (doors included) in one piece apparently has also introduced some unusually poorly painted areas.

There was also the rumor on Twitter or somewhere that Tesla skipped some rust protection step on Model 3 that is usually done these days that might explain the quick rusting on some cars, anyone got any more on that?

I can confirm we have found rust spots also in Finland + norway in
Screenshot_20190701-121147.jpg
Screenshot_20190701-121158.jpg
the back trunk. :( But i do not know about rust protection.
Screenshot_20190701-121147.jpg

Is the rocker panel scratching (not paint peeling, i mean the debris damage) happening for anyone with SR+ (RWD) ? I'm suspecting that this only happens for people with driving front wheels. If I'm wrong, let me know - i'll order some flaps for my SR+.

I don’t see why that would make a difference given most of the damage is around the rear wheels? One could imagine RWD even kicking up more dirt back there than AWD due to easier wheel spinning? Mudflaps are probably a good precaution.

See images from message #13 for example:

8c08aeee-ee95-44bd-b10d-15ad960b9e67-jpeg.394370

8d8d971c-6b08-4785-a0bc-9b8179eaae91-jpeg.394371

@WannabeOwner in another thread posted a photo about aero wheels, so I have anashamidly borrowed part of the photo of interest

This is front wheel from a recently delivered UK car. I notice some extra thick paint in lower area of rocker (hope i used that term correctly, we call it sill).

Is it likely that this plus some ceramic coating and set of low profile mud flaps will help sort the problem on an existing, but yet to be delivered car? Still waiting for ours, but its probably already on a boat.

I've been looking at what other manufacturers do in this area. Many use a plastic moulding in this area. In old days, sills rusting out was a common occurrence and had hoped this was largely a thing of the past. Disappointing if its going to be a weak spot as Model 3's age. We want ours to last 15 years or so. Likely to be second last car we buy.

Model3Wheel.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: electronblue