Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Proud owners of model 3!

I am Joni Savolainen from Finland and i & we need your help!

Finnish Goods Inspection Finds Tesla Model 3 Paint Is Soft And Thin
https://thedrive.com/tech/29257/finnish-tesla-model-3-inspection-reveals-soft-thin-under-spec-paint
Impressed By The Finnish Tesla Model 3 Paint Problems? Hold My Beer
The all new Tesla Model R...ecall?

I am fed up for excuses and blaming customers for paint issues from Tesla service centers.

I wish that the owners who are not experiencing paint issues, would stand side by side with those that are! We are only holding Tesla accountable for a better product and making the company better.

I’ve been there and it sucks when the paint falls off your 1 month old, $96,000 dollar car. It’s not ‘pebbles and stones’ either, it’s paved roads.

IF you are fed up too for the soft paint. We have been groupping people together on Facebook called "tesla model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues".

In Finland i have 25 model 3 owners who are experiencing the same issues on brand new model 3:s.

List for finland:

Tesla Model 3 epänormaalia kulumaa maalipinnassa

Facebook group:

Tesla Model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues

View attachment 463138

What can you expect? I have been collecting pictures. :/

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=alNDUmRmb0plb3hMOHZSU0wtaHBYbUV1RWloZmx3

What is our story? Or my and many other story? SEE --> Consumer advocacy service

How my car is looking after 2100 km.

&

4k video after wash @ 2100 km:

BTW.

Tesla called these normal after 4 weeks driving. :/

There is a big topic also in here --->

Model 3 paint wearing off
wow just wow.....tesla really needs to step up

Reactions: 1 person
I can tell you’re fed up. What do you actually expect Tesla to do? From many similar (non-Tesla) situations I’ve seen over the years, going to the press and authorities about problems like this pretty much guarantees you won’t get any near term help with the actual issues because everyone now just expects another headline from every effort they make. I assume going to lawyers is next? You must have lots of patience, time and appetite for conflict! I’m not sure it’s the best route for actual resolution if that’s what you want.
tesla would likely say-you get what you pay for.....going cheap on the 3 for the buyer vs the s model or x model- but they likely cut alot of corners getting the 3 out at that price: including crap paint jobs.

https://thedrive.com/tech/29257/finnish-tesla-model-3-inspection-reveals-soft-thin-under-spec-paint

I am fed up for excuses and blaming customers for paint issues from Tesla service centers.

I wish that the owners who are not experiencing paint issues, would stand side by side with those that are! We are only holding Tesla accountable for a better product and making the company better.

I’ve been there and it sucks when the paint falls off your 1 month old, $96,000 dollar car. It’s not ‘pebbles and stones’ either, it’s paved roads.

IF you are fed up too for the soft paint. We have been groupping people together on Facebook called "tesla model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues".

In Finland i have 25 model 3 owners who are experiencing the same issues on brand new model 3:s.

List for finland:

Facebook group:

View attachment 463138

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=alNDUmRmb0plb3hMOHZSU0wtaHBYbUV1RWloZmx3

What is our story? Or my and many other story? SEE --> Consumer advocacy service

&

BTW.

no offence but does your county use really harsh salt on the roads like year round? or maybe ice melt residue is always on the roads there? I mean seems like acid/salt damage?

List for finland:

Facebook group:

View attachment 463138

&

BTW.

wonder about the white cars and this issue now.Maybe harder to see on white then red/blue or blk?

Took delivery aug 3 2019. My corners are peeling.

Attachments

• 369A538B-A948-4AB6-B38F-A5BC68967B42.jpeg
    369A538B-A948-4AB6-B38F-A5BC68967B42.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 474
  • DE0E21CE-5C73-4704-86A3-FB523CBC193E.jpeg
    DE0E21CE-5C73-4704-86A3-FB523CBC193E.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 414
  • 23273CAB-8827-4936-AF96-CF9C5E6B061E.jpeg
    23273CAB-8827-4936-AF96-CF9C5E6B061E.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 404
I’m confused. I have my appointment Monday and I receive a text saying what I know already and that is they offer no more loaners only Uber credits. But for something like this where they typically send the car to a shop to get painted or fixed this process can take many weeks. How do they expect me to be without a car for that long especially when it’s fault on their end ?

• Informative
Reactions: Johnii__82
To get this info globally for people & to tesla to fix these defects ( put out better quality ).

Would you help us all? Gustavo is trying to find out why these issues happens all around the world.

Can you answer to gustavo?

He is very familiar regarding paint issues on model 3 and all the other issues.

Tesla Includes Rust Prevention In Updated Model 3 Owner's Manual

Tesla Model 3 Paint Issues – Electric Vehicle Wiki

Dear Sir,

I work for InsideEVs and I am investigating the many cases of paint problems with the Model 3. Mostly because Tesla decided not to repair them for customers that never have had similar issues with other brands. And they cannot be punished for buying the car of their dreams, sometimes at a huge financial sacrifice.

That said, please get in touch with me at [email protected] if you would like me to tell your story of problems with the paint. Some have called these stories anecdotal because they would be too little to even consider as valid. Allowing people to see this is not restricted to a few units is important to make Tesla take measures to fix them. Or not produce them with the issue anymore, at least. Here follow my questions:

1 - Where do you live, what is your name and profession?

2 - When did you buy your Model 3?

3 - When did you notice it had paint issues?

4 - Did you talk to Tesla about that? What was the company's answer?

5 - With that in mind, how do you plan to solve this problem?

6 - After this experience, what would be your advice to people that want to buy a Model 3?

7 - And to the ones that are with the same problem you are having, what would you suggest?

I hope you can share your story with us. Despite what people may say, know that this a way to push Tesla to be better than other carmakers by acting right with its customers. At least that is the intention.

Best regards,

Gustavo

Thank you for the help,

Gustavo Henrique Ruffo
European Editor
InsideEVs.com

E [email protected]
5972.NE 4th.Avenue | Miami | FL 33137

OMG I am so glad I found this thread.
I was seriously getting ready to replace my 2018 Mercedes e class cabriolet with a Model 3 in the next 5 months, but not now.
I will be forwarding a link to this thread to a close friend who is even closer to replacing his 5 series with a model 3.
That’s 2 lost sales!
Finally, to the fanboys who have ridiculed the guys in Finland. I know it’s hard for you to understand but we do have proper roads in Europe, it’s not all gravel tracks and pot holes. I can’t believe that some people are even trying to justify these paint faults and are blaming the vehicle owners.
16 months into owning my Merc and the paint is immaculate with half a dozen pinhead sized stone chips being the only blemishes.

OMG I am so glad I found this thread.
I was seriously getting ready to replace my 2018 Mercedes e class cabriolet with a Model 3 in the next 5 months, but not now.
I will be forwarding a link to this thread to a close friend who is even closer to replacing his 5 series with a model 3.
That’s 2 lost sales!
Finally, to the fanboys who have ridiculed the guys in Finland. I know it’s hard for you to understand but we do have proper roads in Europe, it’s not all gravel tracks and pot holes. I can’t believe that some people are even trying to justify these paint faults and are blaming the vehicle owners.
16 months into owning my Merc and the paint is immaculate with half a dozen pinhead sized stone chips being the only blemishes.

Your loss. It's a fantastic car and those with paint issues that are of particular concern are in a small minority. I'm not saying such issues are acceptable and I feel for those with serious paint issues. But that car is soaking up positive press and awards in the UK, the latest being awards in 3 categories including Car of the Year for 2020 from Parkers. There are many happy drivers over here, the majority seem to be very happy indeed with the car. And what is your alternative? Yeah - have fun with that. Merc don't have anything remotely comparable and having spoken to some local taxi drivers around my parts with Mercs don't think for a second they're squeeky clean in terms of quality control.

Last edited:
Your loss. It's a fantastic car and those with paint issues that are of particular concern are in a small minority. I'm not saying such issues are acceptable and I feel for those with serious paint issues. But that car is soaking up positive press and awards in the UK, the latest being awards in 3 categories including Car of the Year for 2020 from Parkers. There are many happy drivers over here, the majority seem to be very happy indeed with the car. And what is your alternative? Yeah - have fun with that. Merc don't have anything remotely comparable and having spoken to some local taxi drivers around my parts with Mercs don't think for a second they're squeeky clean in terms of quality control.

I am sure it is in many ways, but the QC issues (not just paint, many other issues on this forum) are just not good enough.
I think what we are seeing here is cars being build down to a price and in a hurry to meet promised volume.
Regarding your point about choice, not much at the moment as we all know.
That we will be very different in 12 to 18 months time though.
Unfortunately I think Tesla will find the competition hotting up big time when the big Euro manufactures finally (far too slow out of the gate) get their acts together.

That we will be very different in 12 to 18 months time though.
Unfortunately I think Tesla will find the competition hotting up big time when the big Euro manufactures finally (far too slow out of the gate) get their acts together.

Tesla has a massive technological lead of several years and are innovating at a much greater pace. They are also the only manufacturer with appropriate production capacity to "move the needle" in a meaningful way in that timeframe. So if you're expecting miracles from other manufacturers within 12 - 18 months, prepare to be disappointed. At least, don't hold your breath for others to "catch up". You'll definitely pass out. Sure there will be some better alternatives down the road than there is currently, but without the same efficiency or extensive charging network enjoyed by Tesla vehicles it's not really going to be true competition. Except to the ICE vehicles that those other manufacturers sell. If it isn't a compelling alternative to their ICE vehicles, then those legacy manufacturers have failed and that will be the death of them.

Last edited:
Many of these cases look like prep issues. In California low VOC (volatile organic compound) must be used so "water borne" paint is the (only?) option. One of the big differences between "normal" and water based is the water based requires more careful surface prep. My car, like many (but not, apparently, all) has the clear protection strips along both rockers, so they're aware of an issue. Many manufacturers us all sorts of protective stuff -- like some Porches having rubber strips -- to deal with this.

Many of these cases look like prep issues. In California low VOC (volatile organic compound) must be used so "water borne" paint is the (only?) option. One of the big differences between "normal" and water based is the water based requires more careful surface prep. My car, like many (but not, apparently, all) has the clear protection strips along both rockers, so they're aware of an issue. Many manufacturers us all sorts of protective stuff -- like some Porches having rubber strips -- to deal with this.
Can you take a picture of these protection strips, because there has been confusion in the past about whether there is actual film or just a thicker undercoat.

Reactions: richyrich
When I had paint issues on my 2nd model 3, that told me all that I needed to know about the paint quality... What are the odds that I got 2 cars months apart in a different color with similar paint defects... The people that don't have paint or panel alignment issues probably don't care to look close enough, which is fine, but build quality is less than stellar on these things if you care about that. While it is not a supercar, it should at least meet the standards of a kia, imo.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
When I had paint issues on my 2nd model 3, that told me all that I needed to know about the paint quality... What are the odds that I got 2 cars months apart in a different color with similar paint defects... The people that don't have paint or panel alignment issues probably don't care to look close enough, which is fine, but build quality is less than stellar on these things if you care about that. While it is not a supercar, it should at least meet the standards of a kia, imo.
The funny thing is I went to last month's Drive Electric day expecting to see a bunch of Tesla Model 3 vehicles with pitting around the rocker panels. Had to have been a dozen Model 3s on display and not one had mudflaps, or PPF like mine. And, I didn't see any paint pitting. Strange, so I'm not so sure the problem is all that widespread, and may just be batch problems. I wonder if the recording of vehicles with paint problems has shown any VIN patterns with batches showing more or less issues.

The funny thing is I went to last month's Drive Electric day expecting to see a bunch of Tesla Model 3 vehicles with pitting around the rocker panels. Had to have been a dozen Model 3s on display and not one had mudflaps, or PPF like mine. And, I didn't see any paint pitting. Strange, so I'm not so sure the problem is all that widespread, and may just be batch problems. I wonder if the recording of vehicles with paint problems has shown any VIN patterns with batches showing more or less issues.
My first one was when the 7500 rebate was close to cutting in half and people were just happy as hell to get a car delivered. You were crazy to reject at that time after a 3 yr wait and just let service fix the issues. 2nd one was at the end of a quarter cutting rebate down from 3750. I think they just really crank them out at the ends of the quarters and get sloppier. I've looked at a lot in parking lots and see quite a few of the same issues. They look fine from a few feet away but if you are a body guy you can see issues up close that you wouldn't expect on a new car these days. Still a nice car, don't get me wrong. Dealing with service to fix the issues totally changed my feelings for Tesla all together. I'll probably revisit again someday, but I just expected a much better experience than I received over a year and a half of visits on 2 cars now at 2 different service centers.