Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes i understand your point of view as i said things works quite different in here than in there USA.... And i said as consumer in Finland i do not need to put anything extra to the paint nor the protection of it.

Then why does the BMW, Skoda, Porcshe paint etc withstand normal use? Sorry to take this point.

I am 100% tesla guy ( also a tuber for tesla m3 in finland ) but i can't withstand this way how they threat customers.
To be fair, I'm not sure any car's paint can withstand that kind of direct sandblasting. My Mercedes SUV didn't. Yes, that's how I know not to get black paint anymore. The problem is that the Tesla design went for maximum aero efficiency. In order to mitigate the sandblasting, they should pre-install mud guards, or at least give them to the owners, like the license plate brackets. Then, they should also cover the rockers in PPF, or put an ugly plastic under panel in a dark color like other manufacturers. That should cover all the trouble areas, because you can see how the sand would annihilate the rockers, the lower section of the doors and the flared section right before the rear wheels.

I've installed carbon fiber mud guards, because I could see that the dirt clinging to the lower sides and back of the car, had to be coming from all the dirt being thrown up by the tires. I will also order the PPF for the rockers, which will cover that flared section right before the rear wheels, that gets surprisingly sandblasted.

If I were the Finns, I'd ask for the rocker panels be replaced, by Tesla, and the new ones PPF'd. And a set of mud guards be provided that can be installed for the Winter, just like when you switch to snow tires. I know some countries have stronger consumer protection laws. That's fine, the cost is usually built into the price. Here in the US, I don't expect Tesla to do those things, because none of the mfrs in the US do it, and so our price reflects that. I know I have to go out and do it for myself. On the other hand, that Northern Cali damage is amazing and Tesla should be proactive in alerting their customers on how to mitigate the issue.

IMG_20190430_095717.jpg
IMG_20190430_095726.jpg
IMG_20190430_095723.jpg
IMG_20190510_115038.jpg
Can you send more pictures about the rust and if you have faced same body, skirts etc issues with the debris?

Here we go.

I am at 25 000 km on this picture. no offroad. Never happened on any other vehicules always in the same climate... even my "old" Model S 2014 survived flawlessly. It seems like this car redirects rocks directly on the car.

Last picture is to show I do have full PPF. (matte)

Last edited:
To be fair, I'm not sure any car's paint can withstand that kind of direct sandblasting. My Mercedes SUV didn't. Yes, that's how I know not to get black paint anymore. The problem is that the Tesla design went for maximum aero efficiency. In order to mitigate the sandblasting, they should pre-install mud guards, or at least give them to the owners, like the license plate brackets. Then, they should also cover the rockers in PPF, or put an ugly plastic under panel in a dark color like other manufacturers. That should cover all the trouble areas, because you can see how the sand would annihilate the rockers, the lower section of the doors and the flared section right before the rear wheels.

I've installed carbon fiber mud guards, because I could see that the dirt clinging to the lower sides and back of the car, had to be coming from all the dirt being thrown up by the tires. I will also order the PPF for the rockers, which will cover that flared section right before the rear wheels, that gets surprisingly sandblasted.

If I were the Finns, I'd ask for the rocker panels be replaced, by Tesla, and the new ones PPF'd. And a set of mud guards be provided that can be installed for the Winter, just like when you switch to snow tires. I know some countries have stronger consumer protection laws. That's fine, the cost is usually built into the price. Here in the US, I don't expect Tesla to do those things, because none of the mfrs in the US do it, and so our price reflects that. I know I have to go out and do it for myself. On the other hand, that Northern Cali damage is amazing and Tesla should be proactive in alerting their customers on how to mitigate the issue.

EXACTLY my point.

The problem is that the Tesla design went for maximum aero efficiency. In order to mitigate the sandblasting, they should pre-install mud guards, or at least give them to the owners, like the license plate brackets.

I think mud guards would have impacted the aero, so they aren't going to put them on. And they can't deliver them without impacting their crash testing. (They learned that the hard way by crash testing the new S with the front license plate holder, and after that they were required to deliver every Model S with the holder installed, and they couldn't remove it.)

As far as no comparable car having this issue, show me a car with a comparable CD and MPGe and let us know if it has the same issue. :rolleyes:

So I will backtrack my previous statements and say those examples are horrible looking. I can see why people would be upset as I certainty would be. My plan from the offset has been to give my car a full custom PPF as soon as I pick it up. The mud flaps may also be in order as well. My apologies to those whom I was flippant with. As a car enthusiast I would be horrified to see this kind of wear on my vehicle. However, I still wouldn't be driving the vehicle on dirt roads and would absolutely expect this type of damage if doing so, but on a regular blacktop road....no. Not acceptable. I'm glad I am budgeting for the PPF.

View attachment 407706 View attachment 407711 View attachment 407710 View attachment 407712

Here we go.

I am at 25 000 km on this picture. no offroad. Never happened on any other vehicules always in the same climate... even my "old" Model S 2014 survived flawlessly. It seems like this car redirects rocks directly on the car.

Last picture is to show I do have full PPF. (matte)

Ha... ya theres no chance at all this paint will hold up in a few years. Good luck though having Tesla rectify the issue. These model 3s definitely need splash guards. Even then the lower front bumpers are going to look like crap.

Good luck to you all. I stand corrected.

If you look at majority of vehicles on the road they have an extra Clear 3M tape in those areas. But not a chance this paint will hold up without any protection. Hopefully someone makes a kit for the model 3. Because that looks like some thin paint
9780194_orig.gif

Yeah, I've installed:
• carbon fiber mud guards from Protectmytesla.com: $160.
• partial 3M scotchgard pro 30" hood (wrapped edges), matching partial fenders, mirrors, from invisiblemask.com: $200
• doors 3M scotchgard pro from invisiblemask.com: $400

Ordered:
• the painted section above the rockers, 3M scotchgard pro from invisiblemask.com: $125
• front bumper, 3M scotchgard Pro from invisiblemask.com: $185

Hopefully, that'll protect from the sandblasting that others have unfortunately suffered.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Here is what my rocker panels look like after 28k miles (so cal desert) and full suntek PPF. Early car, 2017 model. Ridge near top is paint according to the wrap guy.

100% better than the awfulness others are seeing. Dunno how my PPF would hold against winter salt tho.

20190514_220805.jpg

So I will backtrack my previous statements and say those examples are horrible looking. I can see why people would be upset as I certainty would be. My plan from the offset has been to give my car a full custom PPF as soon as I pick it up. The mud flaps may also be in order as well. My apologies to those whom I was flippant with. As a car enthusiast I would be horrified to see this kind of wear on my vehicle. However, I still wouldn't be driving the vehicle on dirt roads and would absolutely expect this type of damage if doing so, but on a regular blacktop road....no. Not acceptable. I'm glad I am budgeting for the PPF.

Thx no problem. As i said Finnish taxes etc are rising the m3p price to high as 94.000 $ black with eap + fsd and winter tires. So we have used a lot of money on this and Tesla just needs to come forward with the problem and fix it.

PPF is not enough unless it completely covers the area, look at this pic where the sandblasting occurs right after the edge of the film.

Here in Quebec there are numerous owners reporting their car's body got sandblasted to the metal after only a few months on the roads. This week, members started receiving official letters from Tesla, telling them that the issue will not be covered under warranty.

Laws here would make it very easy to make your point to get the manufacturer to fix the issue:

"Warranties provided by the law: your rights
Legal warranties allow you to expect that the product you are buying:

• will serve the purpose for which it was bought;
  • will have a reasonable lifetime, given the price paid, the contract, and the conditions of use;
  • will not show hidden defects – that is, important defects that were present before the sale, that were not mentioned to you and that you could not have noticed, even if you were observant;
  • will conform to the description written in the contract and the advertising, and to the merchant’s statements.
You also benefit from the same conditions on a second-hand product purchased online from a merchant. In such cases, the fact that the product is used and its wear at the time of purchase must be taken into consideration.

What is a “reasonable lifetime”?
The reasonable lifetime warranty provides that a product must serve for normal use for a reasonable period of time. However, the law does not specify, for example, that a television set must have a lifetime of 10 years. Why? Because several factors, such as the price paid, the contract, and the conditions of use, must be taken into account to determine the reasonable lifetime of a product. Thus, a $850 television set cannot be expected to last as long as another one with the same features, but that costs $1,500.

In short, it’s a question of facts and common sense." Warranties provided by the law – online purchases

It is obvious here that such a fast degradation of the paint under normal use is considered not serving the purpose and not lasting a reasonable lifetime, given the price paid, the contract, and the conditions of use.

Attachments

• 2019-05-15_06h32_27.png
    2019-05-15_06h32_27.png
    736.9 KB · Views: 336
PPF is not enough unless it completely covers the area, look at this pic where the sandblasting occurs right after the edge of the film.

Here in Quebec there are numerous owners reporting their car's body got sandblasted to the metal after only a few months on the roads. This week, members started receiving official letters from Tesla, telling them that the issue will not be covered under warranty.

Thanks for the additional data, this does not look too good for Tesla and the design decisions that they've made with the materials that they have had to work with in the regions where they want to sell their cars.

• Informative
I’m so glad I found this thread!! My paint is peeling off around my wheels also on my Model 3. These pictures are from december 2018 and I got the car in july 2018!!!

I submitted my photos to tesla a few months ago and they’re response is below... as well as the email I sent back. I’m taking my concerns to the Better Business Bureau of Canada because this whole thing is a crock of *sugar*

Following a rigorous review of the paint damage on your Model 3, the engineering team determined that this was not caused by a defect in the paint or the paint application but was the result of stones and/or gravel present on the road. Unfortunately this type of damage is explicitly excluded from the New Vehicle limited warranty that came with your Tesla.

Please let us know if you would like to move forward with paint repair out of warranty.”

My response:

I have driven the same roads here on Prince Edward Island for the past 25 years, a majority of those years with Honda Civics. I have NEVER had an issue with paint in the areas that I am having on my Model 3. The car at the time was approx 7 months old when I sent the initial pictures. Can the engineers offer up a better explanation than 'rocks & stones' because to my knowledge, those materials are used in road construction everywhere!!

I have reached out to the most reputable Auto-body shop on PEI who basically stated that Tesla’s explanation of my paint issues were ‘Not my fault’, but instead stated from their research that Tesla “Is only putting 3-4 mils of paint on their cars where other manufacturers are doing 6-7”. Now, can you confirm those numbers or have the production data? As a consumer, this is totally unacceptable production standards.

I think it’s clear what’s been uncovered- A manufacturing flaw in the design of Model 3. And it’s quite insulting to place the blame on a consumer for driving on paved roads that have “Rocks and stones”.

I will be bringing my concerns to the better business bureau of Canada to bring attention to this matter to protect not only my investment, but for the future consumers of the Model 3. I will CC you in on the email because I feel this is totally unacceptable for a $60,000 + car. And from what I’m reading on Tesla threads, I’m not the only person having this exact issue with paint falling off a brand new car in these areas. Please advise on direction and I will be following up with a prince within a few days.

Respectfully,

Brent Chaisson

163AEDCF-3BF3-4E8E-A030-9F89880E89FA.jpeg
C106E673-C5C2-4918-B344-1150DCFC90EC.jpeg
5267B3D2-BB2D-4A38-9DE7-5CF6F9145996.jpeg
2C1A688D-F4E9-445E-8E6F-0F59271E6728.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m so glad I found this thread!! My pint is peeling off around my wheels also on my Model 3. These pictures are from december 2018 and I got the car in july 2018!!!

I submitted my photos to tesla a few months ago and they’re response is below... as well as the email I sent back. I’m taking my concerns to the Better Business Bureau of Canada because this whole thing is a crock of *sugar*

Following a rigorous review of the paint damage on your Model 3, the engineering team determined that this was not caused by a defect in the paint or the paint application but was the result of stones and/or gravel present on the road. Unfortunately this type of damage is explicitly excluded from the New Vehicle limited warranty that came with your Tesla.

Please let us know if you would like to move forward with paint repair out of warranty.”

My response:

I have driven the same roads here on Prince Edward Island for the past 25 years, a majority of those years with Honda Civics. I have NEVER had an issue with paint in the areas that I am having on my Model 3. The car at the time was approx 7 months old when I sent the initial pictures. Can the engineers offer up a better explanation than 'rocks & stones' because to my knowledge, those materials are used in road construction everywhere!!

I have reached out to the most reputable Auto-body shop on PEI who basically stated that Tesla’s explanation of my paint issues were ‘Not my fault’, but instead stated from their research that Tesla “Is only putting 3-4 mils of paint on their cars where other manufacturers are doing 6-7”. Now, can you confirm those numbers or have the production data? As a consumer, this is totally unacceptable production standards.

I think it’s clear what’s been uncovered- A manufacturing flaw in the design of Model 3. And it’s quite insulting to place the blame on a consumer for driving on paved roads that have “Rocks and stones”.

I will be bringing my concerns to the better business bureau of Canada to bring attention to this matter to protect not only my investment, but for the future consumers of the Model 3. I will CC you in on the email because I feel this is totally unacceptable for a $60,000 + car. And from what I’m reading on Tesla threads, I’m not the only person having this exact issue with paint falling off a brand new car in these areas. Please advise on direction and I will be following up with a prince within a few days.

Respectfully,

Brent Chaisson

Hi Brent and regards from Finland. I feel you. We have issued this already to Tesla Finland and we will see this to end of the line that this will need to be fixed by Tesla. I am not alone in here also. I have atleast 12 friends who has the problems after 2000 km driving on tarmac.

Good message you wroted. You are absolutely correct on this. Pls let us know how things proceed on there. I will let you know also.

• Informative
On my drive to work today, i'd bet at least 90% of cars have protection in this area. I followed a 2000s era Honda Civic that had plastic protection in this area. It's not that hard Tesla... that civic wasn't $60,000.

I'll be at a service center Saturday and plan to bring this up with my car, to them.

I have full PPF as well and sure hope it will help to keep the car in good shape. I have only accumulated about 2,500 km so far, but like you said I too noticed that the Model 3 appears to direct all kinds of dirt and debris directly at those areas. Have not noticed this with any other car before, at least not to such an extent.

Reactions: fcharland
Any way we can apply some of those clear protective plastic strips that I've seen on other cars applied to the front and rear bumpers?
Yes, and it is what I am going to do shortly. It is a wrap. However it is going to cost 2000 cad for a partial one. Since I live in Quebec, I figured that would wise. However it sucks that 70k car doesn't have a decent paint. My last car, an ordinary Impala, had no paint issue.