Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7EEA4F22-4D7E-4554-8561-EE74F659A65C.jpeg
I do PPF here in Montreal...So I am a bit bias.

Our roads are horrible, full of rocks and debris from potholes and construction trucks dropping gravel
All over roads.

Everyone keeps mentioning the price of the car when referring to the paint quality. I PPF’d a 2017 911 , Saw the car last week 20,000 km later if had not done his rockers they would’ve been destroyed .

Tesla paint is definitely softer then most, nothing putting PPF on the rockers and or mud flaps won’t take care of.

Here is one I did a couple weeks ago full front end and rockers

People are conflating paint issues.

Peeling is one thing and I’m 100% confident that will get fixed.

The rock chips/sand blasting is another. I think if you drive the car in those environments, protect it. I don’t but I still protected mine.
Wait, my car isn't built to be impervious to rocks? How dare Tesla do this!

I think there's just cross-border confusion here. The consumer protection laws are different in different countries. As a result, the expectation may be higher in some places than others. Like many, I'm pro-active in protecting my expensive car, and don't expect a whole lot from my State. Others, less so.

Apparently in Finland, consumer protection laws are fairly strong, and they expect the mfr to do more. Tesla hasn't. They need to own up and meet the expectations of consumers in that country. The Tesla-Finland operation should know what Finnish laws are and communicate that back to Tesla HQ. It can't be that hard to include seasonal mudflaps for Finnish and Canadian drivers, and to give a credit for repainting the rockers, lower doors, and rear wheel arch flair, that some drivers have experienced. Not to mention include a warning to those future buyers that the cars may experience road damage if not protected by mudflaps, PPF etc.

I think there's just cross-border confusion here. The consumer protection laws are different in different countries. As a result, the expectation may be higher in some places than others. Like many, I'm pro-active in protecting my expensive car, and don't expect a whole lot from my State. Others, less so.

Apparently in Finland, consumer protection laws are fairly strong, and they expect the mfr to do more. Tesla hasn't. They need to own up and meet the expectations of consumers in that country. The Tesla-Finland operation should know what Finnish laws are and communicate that back to Tesla HQ. It can't be that hard to include seasonal mudflaps for Finnish and Canadian drivers, and to give a credit for repainting the rockers, lower doors, and rear wheel arch flair, that some drivers have experienced. Not to mention include a warning to those future buyers that the cars may experience road damage if not protected by mudflaps, PPF etc.

So with a single production line, who would you say pays for this extra layer of Finnish protection? CA buyers probably don’t want to. Are you saying this is something a Tesla employee in Finland should install or should they just be warned?

So with a single production line, who would you say pays for this extra layer of Finnish protection? CA buyers probably don’t want to. Are you saying this is something a Tesla employee in Finland should install or should they just be warned?
I've written an answer to your question elsewhere, but ultimately the cost would be built into the price of Finnish Model 3s. Install? No, I think I wrote they should give seasonal, ie removable, mudguards to Finnish and Canadian buyers, much like the license plate bracket. The owner can decide to do as they please, install or not, but they should be warned by the IDA or whomever at the delivery center, and there should be a note in the owner's manual, or in the bag with the mudguards.

The mudguards can be put on when the owner puts on their snow tires, and removed when the snow tires are removed. OEM cost for mudguards can't be more than $100, tops.

I've written an answer to your question elsewhere, but ultimately the cost would be built into the price of Finnish Model 3s. Install? No, I think I wrote they should give seasonal, ie removable, mudguards to Finnish and Canadian buyers, much like the license plate bracket. The owner can decide to do as they please, install or not, but they should be warned by the IDA or whomever at the delivery center, and there should be a note in the owner's manual, or in the bag with the mudguards.

The mudguards can be put on when the owner puts on their snow tires, and removed when the snow tires are removed. OEM cost for mudguards can't be more than $100, tops.
I can agree with offering some sort of package. I don’t think it will impact the complaints from those that don’t buy it and then still damage their car though.

I will say it again but mud flaps and ppf is going to help for sure, but I think a big part of the problem is deffective paint for a few cars. I am basing my statement on the fact that I put 4000 km during Canadian winter in snowy conditions and I didn't see any of the described painting issues.
So again it seems that we are seing a bad batch of cars...

If car needs protection to drive on clean tarmac

It obviously isn't "clean tarmac" if there is so much debris on that tarmac that is getting kicked up and causing the "sandblasting". But like Matt keeps saying, the peeling is a whole different issue. The cause of the two issues is not likely to be the same. (Nor is the resolution of the two issues.)

People are conflating paint issues.

Peeling is one thing and I’m 100% confident that will get fixed.

The rock chips/sand blasting is another. I think if you drive the car in those environments, protect it. I don’t but I still protected mine.

I think to some great extent people are being caught off guard as to how the car will perform if their local government uses rocks for ice, as an example. If people are aware that it will be an issue, then yes, they usually won't have a problem paying for PPF to cover the lower half of their car. However, my Ford Explorer had no issues with the rocks my local county distributed over the winter months - but my M3 Performance has been trashed.

Reactions: MP3Mike and Matt L
View attachment 415857 I do PPF here in Montreal...So I am a bit bias.

Our roads are horrible, full of rocks and debris from potholes and construction trucks dropping gravel
All over roads.

Everyone keeps mentioning the price of the car when referring to the paint quality. I PPF’d a 2017 911 , Saw the car last week 20,000 km later if had not done his rockers they would’ve been destroyed .

Tesla paint is definitely softer then most, nothing putting PPF on the rockers and or mud flaps won’t take care of.

Here is one I did a couple weeks ago full front end and rockers

If it's not too discreet, how much did you pay for your PPF in Montreal area? (I'm looking for only rockers and front lower bumper + side mirrors). I feel like Protex is going to be quite expensive with XPEL. Was considering Ceramic coating instead (better than nothing).

It obviously isn't "clean tarmac" if there is so much debris on that tarmac that is getting kicked up and causing the "sandblasting". But like Matt keeps saying, the peeling is a whole different issue. The cause of the two issues is not likely to be the same. (Nor is the resolution of the two issues.)

Matt L let's stay on the topic. M3pmike: Clean as it can be and summer tires ( Michelin pilot sport 4s ) our winter ended in about february 20th 2019. I got the car on 29.3.2019 and there was no sand & salt anymore on the roads.

Google Maps

This is the main road what i usually drive to work. It is clean and in good shape.

Just for your knowledge. We have done some background info on google forms questions to get better view. Here are some answers.

IT seems that these paint issues has started after 2018 --> june / july delivered vehicles. :eek:

Does somebody have inside intel what has happened on Tesla Fremont factory paint line at that point? If you have read the latest news about ventilation / air issues on the paint line? They are matching to these problems.

Check also the documents inside of the articles.

Tesla Air Quality Compliance Violations Center On Troubled Paint Shop

Documents Show Persistent Air Quality Non-Compliance At Tesla Factory

Screenshot_20190605-111310.jpg
Screenshot_20190605-111300.jpg
Screenshot_20190605-111305.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
While I feel for those that have paint sandblasting or peeling issues, sometimes it's just worth it to fix it yourself properly out of pocket than fight a manufacturer for weeks, months, or years for a resolution. I'd get a color matching wrap for those areas and call it a day.

I did notice some chips on mine and had the bottom of the doors wrapped in addition to the rocker panels.

Added PPF to lower doors

Reactions: KenC and Johnii__82
While I feel for those that have paint sandblasting or peeling issues, sometimes it's just worth it to fix it yourself properly out of pocket than fight a manufacturer for weeks, months, or years for a resolution. I'd get a color matching wrap for those areas and call it a day.

I did notice some chips on mine and had the bottom of the doors wrapped in addition to the rocker panels.

Added PPF to lower doors

Yep. But in this case we have brand new cars in Finland... So we have to fight... It is unacceptable.

If it's not too discreet, how much did you pay for your PPF in Montreal area? (I'm looking for only rockers and front lower bumper + side mirrors). I feel like Protex is going to be quite expensive with XPEL. Was considering Ceramic coating instead (better than nothing).

Unless mistaken, Goodtohave is an installer of PFF & Nanocoating (with his partner) so he should be able to give you a price for PFF. Ceramic coating will not give you any benefit for this type of issue though. It doesn't protect from rock/sand/salt.
Ceramic coating is a nice finish to have that replaces waxing your car a lot and makes the car easier to wash.

Reading this thread has been a bit anxiety inducing! I just ordered my M3 a few days ago. Living in Indiana we do still get some ice/snow in the winter with the salt and sand that comes along with it, not to mention the roads are riddled with pot holes. I didn't account for the cost of wrapping the car when I purchased. Would you all say just putting on mud flaps is enough? And I was wondering, wouldn't this damage be covered under the vehicle warranty if you're still within the time/mileage constraints?

As to know if it would be useful or not, somehow it seems to depend on the luck of the draw, some cars seem to have better paint than other. However the way you drive, where you drive etc....will have something to do of course.
Personnaly I did a full winter in Montreal without any paint issues, however being paranoid, I wrapped the exposed parts of the car a week ago, and I will add the mud flaps this Fall.

Reading this thread has been a bit anxiety inducing! I just ordered my M3 a few days ago. Living in Indiana we do still get some ice/snow in the winter with the salt and sand that comes along with it, not to mention the roads are riddled with pot holes. I didn't account for the cost of wrapping the car when I purchased. Would you all say just putting on mud flaps is enough? And I was wondering, wouldn't this damage be covered under the vehicle warranty if you're still within the time/mileage constraints?
I have to say that it made me anxious too. But it is always better to know of an issue before hand than after. Now that you know, you only have to plan a budget of a couple hundreds and get some mud flaps and PPF on the rockers and at bottom of the doors. Et voilà, problème réglé.

After that, well you have a Tesla :) Enjoy!

The carbon fiber mudflaps from Model 3 Carbon Fiber Splash Guards, have blocked most of the road debris, but not all. To do that, it would have to be another inch lower, so, if you want complete sandblasting protection, I'd consider the mudguards from Eric Bolduc, Boutique - Antirouille Bolduc, the MidWest edition. It hangs much lower than the carbon ones I have, or the California model. Of course, they don't look as nice, but seem more functional. He also sells on eBay. Wouldn't be bad if they're removable for non-Winter use.

I'd think the ideal situation would be ones you could put on when you change to Winter tires, and then remove when you swap back.

• Love
Reactions: 03DSG