Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is front wheel from a recently delivered UK car. I notice some extra thick paint in lower area of rocker (hope i used that term correctly, we call it sill).

Is it likely that this plus some ceramic coating and set of low profile mud flaps will help sort the problem on an existing, but yet to be delivered car? Still waiting for ours, but its probably already on a boat.

View attachment 427459

Hmm. That does look quite thickly painted or reinforced somehow, perhaps Tesla has taken some action to improve damage resistance in that area. If you're wanting to be keeping the car for 15 years it might make sense to consider some PPF on the sills regardless. Unless it's an expense you really don't want to have to make initially, as it's best to get it done as early as possible. It might not cost much more if you get the detailer you were going to get to ceramic coat the car put a bit of PPF there first. Assuming you were going for a detailer job rather than DIY for the ceramic.

@WannabeOwner ...

Is it likely that this plus some ceramic coating and set of low profile mud flaps will help sort the problem on an existing, but yet to be delivered car? Still waiting for ours, but its probably already on a boat.

View attachment 427459

Ceramic coating will NOT help to protect against rock/dirt projections from the wheels!
Only PFF does that. My 2 cents.

Wasn’t clear. Ceramic coating to reduce dirt adhering to surface and acting like sandpaper. Mud flaps to reduce the stone / grit impact.

One of my current cars has only painted sills - honestly thought this was a design from the past as most cars I see have a protective cover. The grit builds up on bodywork pretty quick (single short journey when bad) but a small mud flap would pretty much stop that. Appears not to be a problem though (even after grit from 3 winters) so I’ve not bothered. But having been enlightened to ceramic coatings, I may give that a try in a couple of areas.

Earlier post mentioned paint hardness. Does anyone know how metallic blue and grey fit into this hardness wise?

Screenshot (137)_LI.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
So any idea how much PPF would run on the rocker panels vs just replacing/repainting the panel when the paint is worn through?

I received one quote from an authorized Xpel installer for $500 for the rocker panels. I didn't use this installer and instead went with a vendor on this forum.

If you are a DIY'er, Xpel sells precut kits for the Model 3:
Paint Protection Film Pre-Cut Kits

I'm sure there are other rocker panel ppf kits if you do a search online.

• Informative
Reactions: RobC
So any idea how much PPF would run on the rocker panels vs just replacing/repainting the panel when the paint is worn through? What about the permanent energy loss from installing flaps? Whats the best cost/benefit decision here.
Obviously didn't read the 16 pages yet. I have the carbon mudflaps and I don't notice any difference in range, but the carbon ones have the smallest profile, and offer the least protection. Others offer more protection like the ones from Quebec, and have a larger profile. The two I mentioned will cost from $150 to $200. You can make your own flaps for about $25, as some other threads have shown. There was a group buy for waterjet-cut flaps for about $35, in the last couple days. Just look thru the threads. Flaps will be the least expensive.

DIY PPF for just your rockers, can be as little as $120, but you probably also want to do the lower part of the doors, and so can be $200 for 3M. Xpel is more. Because of the location on the car, it's something a DIYer can try. The hard part is just to keep it off the ground, and a separate set of hands to hold it.

I did mine before most of these options were available, so I did the carbon flaps for $160, and the $120 PPF on my rockers. I also did my full doors for $400. In hindsight, the most economical choice would have been just the $35 flaps, but I still would have done the full doors for ding and key scratch protection.

• Informative
Reactions: RobC and MrBadger
Installed these 2 days ago. They are easily installed and visually minimal. The California’s are the smallest of the 3 versions. The fronts are installed with 3 push-pins and 1 screw into a supplied fitting. The rears are installed with 2 push-pins and 2 screws with 1 screw into a supplied fitting and one into the plastic. Very complete kit with PPF strips lots of extra push-pins:

EV Mudflaps par Antirouille Bolduc

9D35C681-B47A-4D4E-B1B9-A1CC83673AD1.jpeg

746125CD-1AAD-4960-A94D-897E346D422F.jpeg

6541BD67-E0E0-4B2D-B053-76893306B760.jpeg

FF702534-B0EB-4D41-AF3E-A8A5255718E4.jpeg

30CC9539-CE8F-4D19-AB74-D338202318E4.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: WilliamG and KenC
Installed these 2 days ago. They are easily installed and visually minimal. The California’s are the smallest of the 3 versions. The fronts are installed with 3 push-pins and 1 screw into a supplied fitting. The rears are installed with 2 push-pins and 2 screws with 1 screw into a supplied fitting and one into the plastic. Very complete kit with PPF strips lots of extra push-pins:

EV Mudflaps par Antirouille Bolduc

View attachment 430797

View attachment 430801

View attachment 430798

View attachment 430799

View attachment 430800

Those look aces.

Reactions: 03DSG
Can confirm, Black Model 3 AWD driven in west coast Canada. This paint is absolute garbage, will be uploading pics later. Hood/front of car is now a spotted black/white due to all the paint pitting/chipping. this is insane

Welcome to the club of tesla model 3 paint issues :( Feel free to make complaint to Tesla. They will call it normal... or within specs..

Tesla Model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues

You can see our group complaint from nonono.com. --> Consumer advocacy service

I suggest you hire 3. th party inspector & lawyer to inspect your paint thickness and compare it to TESLA standards ( your inspector needs to have TESLA paint standards from Fremont ) you may see surprise.........

MY tesla model 3 is now familiar called the PRIMER 3 -->