Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10000000% fact

The Model S is the perfect car for someone who doesn’t care about cars. The Plaid is that car, plus incredible numbers. The Model 3 is an enthusiasts car. I had rented a Model S Plaid for a week and couldn’t wait to get home and back in my P3. Then, as time went on and the Plaid got cheaper I considered it again. When I got my Cybertruck wrapped the guy doing it lent me his S Plaid. As soon as I gave that car back I ordered the new P3. The M3P is the best car Tesla makes….other than the Cybertruck.

Well, there are of course many different factors that come into play - I definitely 'care' about cars, but the aspects I 'care' about most may not align with others. I don't care about 1/4 mile or track stuff. I'll -never- track my vehicle, and I doubt I'll ever see 100+ on any street/highway. But what I will do is red-light-warrior. A lot. I also want a comfortable interior, and as vain as it sounds, color and appearance of the vehicle matter a lot more to me than most people, I would guess.

To that end, the S would likely overall be a better fit for me... It offers a bit more comfort, definitive 0-60 increase, and in my opinion is the best looking car in the Tesla line (just my opinion, don't mug me!) ...

But what I -can't- do is the additional $40k+ price-tag over the tax-incentivized M3P. Maybe one day down the road, perhaps. BUT... the M3P will likely be miles ahead of any other car I've owned when I take into account all the factors above - for me. Even if I won't be tracking or 'carving canyons', this car still represents the best value I've been able to find when it comes to meeting my needs.

I kinda equate it like this: the M3P will be like having my cake and icing... an S would be the same with a bit more icing - which would be sweet - but I just can't justify the price-difference for myself at this time. Not to mention my wife has been dropping hints about getting herself a Y... LOL.

Just my opinion, tho! I'd steal your Lebowski image but it would probably be considered spam. ;)

Well, there are of course many different factors that come into play - I definitely 'care' about cars, but the aspects I 'care' about most may not align with others. I don't care about 1/4 mile or track stuff. I'll -never- track my vehicle, and I doubt I'll ever see 100+ on any street/highway. But what I will do is red-light-warrior. A lot. I also want a comfortable interior, and as vain as it sounds, color and appearance of the vehicle matter a lot more to me than most people, I would guess.

To that end, the S would likely overall be a better fit for me... It offers a bit more comfort, definitive 0-60 increase, and in my opinion is the best looking car in the Tesla line (just my opinion, don't mug me!) ...

But what I -can't- do is the additional $40k+ price-tag over the tax-incentivized M3P. Maybe one day down the road, perhaps. BUT... the M3P will likely be miles ahead of any other car I've owned when I take into account all the factors above - for me. Even if I won't be tracking or 'carving canyons', this car still represents the best value I've been able to find when it comes to meeting my needs.

I kinda equate it like this: the M3P will be like having my cake and icing... an S would be the same with a bit more icing - which would be sweet - but I just can't justify the price-difference for myself at this time. Not to mention my wife has been dropping hints about getting herself a Y... LOL.

Just my opinion, tho! I'd steal your Lebowski image but it would probably be considered spam. ;)
The S is definitely the best looker in the lineup but I assure you, you’ve made the right choice. Enjoy! 😊

So I stop by local Tesla dealership every Sunday morning. I have been there the last 4 Sundays. Needless to say all the SAs know me now.

I asked one SA to look up my order and she did. She tells me we see nothing that you don't already know BUT once you get a VIN, then we will see more. For example the location of your car.

Once I get my VIN and I will ask her to look up my order and I will take a pic and report back here.

:)

Yeah when I got my 2020 M3P I started praying for red lights at intersections. Lol

Maybe I missed this but shocked no one else has this issue on their new M3Ps.

Ever since I drove off the lot, I can hear the inserts in the wheels make a creaking noise every time I drive at low speeds. Curious if anyone else hears this, less of a creak and sounds more like dirt or sand is being thrown against the insides.

Will make a thread if I need to but wonder if they just need to wear in a bit or if this is something I should report.

It's just basic human nature to want to feel they belong to a certain team and have an "us against them" mentality. Go to any car forum and it's an echo chamber of why their model is better than others. Car enthusiasts represent the epitome of this behavior, and to be frank I can't stand most of them online or real life which is ironic because I am also one.

But excited to pick up my M3P tomorrow! Weather will be 75 F and sunny so should make it pleasant to do a thorough visual inspection. Already bought all of my accessories (mats, mud flaps, screen protector, hockey pucks, mobile charger).
I think the trick is being a fan of yours but being able to appreciate why others like theirs. I understand the cars gear heads like. I can appreciate them, they just aren't what I'm looking for. Anyone that thinks their car is "best" doesn't really have an appreciation for cars. They just have an obsession.

I'm 51 and I have no desire for the comfortable boat over the carver. :)

Actually, now that I think about it, the speed and performance of my cars has increased with age.
Yeah, we'll see how I feel after owning an M3P for 11-12 years I guess. We'll also be getting close to being empty nesters at that point so we'll be looking at more travel so the longer range and smoother ride will have more benefit then, but a lot can change between now and then on what's offered too.

Reactions: xianking
I came from a 20 M3P and then a 22 M3P and loved both of them.

I've been back and forth with getting another or getting a C8 vette for some time now. When the style/specs came out for the new M3P, jumped right on it but have also been negotiating with Chevy.

Literally changing my mind by the hour but went with the Vette as I'm 42; no kids, happy married, and healthy.
Seen too many people close to me lately get sick/pass, old, etc and thought screw it get the red vette ... you only live once. Picking her up on Wed.

Still on list for the CT and I def see coming back to the new performance or maybe plaid down the road; as the value, ease of use, and maintenance is just amazing. But for my next ride, needed some rumble and flash lol.

Congrats to all those taking orders now, as this is def a step up from previous models. Happy Riding.
Been seeing everyone's post and loving the delivery post.
Saw my first M3P on the road yesterday and it looked great.
Could def see picking one up in the future.

Got the C8 this week ... there is always rooms to appreciate cars across forums.

Happy and Safe Driving.

Screenshot 2024-06-09 at 9.18.44 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-09 at 9.18.35 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-09 at 9.18.27 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-08 at 1.09.54 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-08 at 1.09.46 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-08 at 1.09.35 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-08 at 1.09.28 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-08 at 1.09.16 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-08 at 1.08.52 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-08 at 1.08.39 PM.png

Question
This is my first EV.Plus it will be brand new. I know with ice cars there is a break in period. Don’t drive over 60, or don’t do zero to 60 until the break in mileage.
Is there any break in period with these cars. Can I take it to the track or can I out run a Mclaren first day out?
I appreciate all the advice in advance🙏🏽

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Question
This is my first EV.Plus it will be brand new. I know with ice cars there is a break in period. Don’t drive over 60, or don’t do zero to 60 until the break in mileage.
Is there any break in period with these cars. Can I take it to the track or can I out run a Mclaren first day out?
When I picked up my first m3p I had a 2 hour drive back home. I was racing with audis, bmws and mustangs on the highway and was so impressed with the performance. I came back home with a smile. A friend visited me the next day who also had a m3p. We went for a drive in my new m3p. He looks at my screen and asked me “Dude why are you in chill mode?” I didnt even know there was a thing called chill mode and this whole time I was racing on chill mode. We had a good laugh and then I had my neck broken.

Question
Several here have said drive it like a rental. No break in. I didn't see any thing in the manual addressing break-in like a ICE does. In a ICE, the biggest break in need is the dynamic piston rings and pressure seals. So that's not a problem. It still has gears gears and bearings and housing seals. The gearbox has a oil filter for a reason. although the filter has a really high service interval if ever. Personally, I am buying it and hoping to last a long time, so I am going to take it nice on it and not full send hammer out of the SC lot. Give it at least a couple hundred miles, and some charge cycles, before giving it the whole enchilada. I haven't seen anywhere that this consertivesm is necessary.

Reactions: zeroifex and Jakub1
When I picked up my first m3p I had a 2 hour drive back home. I was racing with audis, bmws and mustangs on the highway and was so impressed with the performance. I came back home with a smile. A friend visited me the next day who also had a m3p. We went for a drive in my new m3p. He looks at my screen and asked me “Dude why are you in chill mode?” I didnt even know there was a thing called chill mode and this whole time I was racing on chill mode. We had a good laugh and then I had my neck broken.

Your buddy looks at you like you're an M3P noob, and then you had your neck broken.

You win the internet for today! :)

Been seeing everyone's post and loving the delivery post.
Saw my first M3P on the road yesterday and it looked great.
Could def see picking one up in the future.

Got the C8 this week ... there is always rooms to appreciate cars across forums.

Happy and Safe Driving.

View attachment 1055058View attachment 1055059View attachment 1055060View attachment 1055061View attachment 1055062View attachment 1055063View attachment 1055064View attachment 1055065View attachment 1055066View attachment 1055067

I was never a fan of Vettes (or any Chevy to be honest)... until the C8. Absolutely stunning. :)

Buuuut since I sometimes need to be able to haul around more than two people in my car, I'll likely never have one. I did have a two-seater (Pontiac Fiero) for several years that was heaps of fun when I was single, but of course that's not even on the same -planet- as a C8.

Nice ride! :)

On an M3P note - I have not seen one in the wild yet. In fact, when I was last at my SC in early May they didn't have one there, either. I think I need to check again, even if it's not test-drivable. I keep hearing stuff about these seats.... :)

Several here have said drive it like a rental. No break in. I didn't see any thing in the manual addressing break-in like a ICE does. In a ICE, the biggest break in need is the dynamic piston rings and pressure seals. So that's not a problem. It still has gears gears and bearings and housing seals. The gearbox has a oil filter for a reason. although the filter has a really high service interval if ever. Personally, I am buying it and hoping to last a long time, so I am going to take it nice on it and not full send hammer out of the SC lot. Give it at least a couple hundred miles, and some charge cycles, before giving it the whole enchilada. I haven't seen anywhere that this consertivesm is necessary.
Your logic makes sense, I just wonder for all of those early teslas (early 2010s) onwards that were driven hard from the SC where there would have logged identified issues from not driving gently for the first few hundred miles. I am new to Teslas or EVs but I don't recall hearing about this over the past decade or so.

I will probably test out insane mode on my drive home.

Edit: I forgot to mention brakes need to go through a bedding process and tires will need time to break for first 200 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: sgtauto