Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For folks that have taken delivery, can you confirm there is only 1 USB-c port in the glove compartment?

I wish we had at least 2.
There is one.

Attachments

• 20240609_121350.jpg
    20240609_121350.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 6
Someone above posted, the more that are taking delivery of their 2024 M3P, the slower this thread grows.

The way it's going, I'm starting to fear that I will be the only one left who has not taken deliver and the only left posting on this thread.
Don't worry I'll still be here with you. I think a lot of us are also just hitting fatigue and posting less unless we see someone that needs some commiseration. I ordered 45 minutes after it went live and still don't even have a VIN, so believe me, I feel your pain.

What kind of Wh/mi are you guys getting just bumbling about town? I.e. not punching it 24/7.
I asked this question awhile back and didn't hear anything. I'm interested in the WH/Mile average over 100+ miles in insane mode exclusively, with some mixed driving habits. It'd be great to see the efficiency difference, if any, from the outgoing model, with this much more power. Is anyone able to get below 300 without driving ultra-conservatively? My lifetime WH/mile is 285 on my old M3P. I know the LR (non-plaid) model S tends to be more in the 300-350 range (likely due to the weight). If we can squeeze 300 (or less) out of the new M3, but the power is on par with the LR-S, then that would fantastic news!

Reactions: bdudney665

Attachments

• 20240609_122112.jpg
    20240609_122112.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240609_122153.jpg
    20240609_122153.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
10000000% fact

The Model S is the perfect car for someone who doesn’t care about cars. The Plaid is that car, plus incredible numbers. The Model 3 is an enthusiasts car. I had rented a Model S Plaid for a week and couldn’t wait to get home and back in my P3. Then, as time went on and the Plaid got cheaper I considered it again. When I got my Cybertruck wrapped the guy doing it lent me his S Plaid. As soon as I gave that car back I ordered the new P3. The M3P is the best car Tesla makes….other than the Cybertruck.
I’m so tired of this subjective opinion that “the model s is perfect for someone who doesn’t care about cars” don’t pretend to know ALL car people

I’m so tired of this subjective opinion that “the model s is perfect for someone who doesn’t care about cars” don’t pretend to know ALL car people
Of course, that post is my opinion. That said I was an automotive journalist and have driven everything and been behind the wheel of McLaren F1s and cars much more interesting. Eventually you realize "slow car fast" is way better than "fast car slow". The Plaid has no business being used anywhere near its capabilities on the street. The 3P is the perfect mix of reasonable performance and nimble. I'd take a 3P over a Plaid even if the price of the 3P was twice as much. Again, it's just like my opinion man.

rK9dVBY3HY-3paYdumo9cjuzB5-D_gRubXUrjm-qexc.gif.png

I asked this question awhile back and didn't hear anything. I'm interested in the WH/Mile average over 100+ miles in insane mode exclusively, with some mixed driving habits. It'd be great to see the efficiency difference, if any, from the outgoing model, with this much more power. Is anyone able to get below 300 without driving ultra-conservatively? My lifetime WH/mile is 285 on my old M3P. I know the LR (non-plaid) model S tends to be more in the 300-350 range (likely due to the weight). If we can squeeze 300 (or less) out of the new M3, but the power is on par with the LR-S, then that would fantastic news!

Well I can do 20 for you: 10 to Walmart and 10 home. Half the drive is country roads going 50-60 MPH with no lights and the other half is in "town": 45-50 MPH with traffic lights about every half mile. Sunny with temps between 90 and 92F. We don't really have "hills" in FL but the trip there loses maybe 40 feet of elevation while the trip back obviously gains that 40 feet back. I'm in Insane mode 100% of the time and don't see any noticeable difference in wH/mi coming from my 2021 LR taking the same trip in the same conditions. Trip there was 233 wH/mi while the trip back was 265, partly due to the elevation rise and partly because the interior was heat soaked and the AC ran full steam for probably 25% of the trip.

1717959159393.png

1717959207746.png

I have yet to figure out why it seems that a decent number of people feel like "this thing is right for me, so therefor it must be the right thing for everyone, and anyone who doesnt agree is wrong".

(meaning I agree with you, if that isnt clear from what I am saying).

In any case, for some reason every time "model S" and particularly the model S plaid comes up, the thread starts going off the rails as model S owners feel compelled to explain why they like their cars, and model 3 buyers feel compelled to explain why they like theirs. Tale as old as car forums, this general discussion has existed since car forums were a thing, just substitute various brands larger, more expensive car for the smaller one.

Heck, in BMW forums (yes yes I know, BMW again), plenty of people tried to argue in the 3 series forums that the "best" version of the BMW 3 series was the lowest end model they sell in the US, with the 4 cylinder engine. People always use words like "Nimble" and "Tossable" to describe this, just like they do here.

Anyway, this goes on all the time, and I as I said, I cant figure out why people feel the need to do it.

Of course, that post is my opinion. That said I was an automotive journalist and have driven everything and been behind the wheel of McLaren F1s and cars much more interesting. Eventually you realize "slow car fast" is way better than "fast car slow". The Plaid has no business being used anywhere near its capabilities on the street. The 3P is the perfect mix of reasonable performance and nimble. I'd take a 3P over a Plaid even if the price of the 3P was twice as much. Again, it's just like my opinion man.

View attachment 1055010
This is exactly why I'm getting a 3p now and might get a plaid when my kids take my car as a hand me down. I'll be 50 or so then and a bit more inclined to take the comfortable fast boat over the carver. Both are valid desires but my current preference is strongly towards the 3.

• Love
Reactions: phantasms
So looking for advice. I ordered 4/23 sg/black Midwest state. My EDD, like others, has moved a lot. Currently 6/20-6/30.

I am considering switching my delivery location. There are 3 main locations in my state. I went into my current delivery location the other day and they said that they have received no deliveries or VINs that they are aware of for the M3P.

At the same time, a location 2 hours from me in the same state has upwards of 6 VINs on the spreadsheet. Two of which are my exact configuration ordered AFTER me.

Then I find out another delivery location in my state also has several M3Ps there

I am so confused why all these locations within hours of me are getting all these VINs and my location acts like they haven’t seen a single one. I’m worried I am screwing myself my having this location. I don’t mind switching and driving 1-2 hours if it’s going to lead me to getting my car much sooner.

What do you think? How do I proceed from here? I also don’t want to screw myself and delay things if they were just about to deliver more here. Thanks.
I switched mine to the libertyville location if you are in Illinois. They pump out the most cars and have the M3P delivery down. A lot of users from Illinois picked up their cars there and they are pumping out mid-late May orders now there.

I have yet to figure out why it seems that a decent number of people feel like "this thing is right for me, so therefor it must be the right thing for everyone, and anyone who doesnt agree is wrong".

(meaning I agree with you, if that isnt clear from what I am saying).

In any case, for some reason every time "model S" and particularly the model S plaid comes up, the thread starts going off the rails as model S owners feel compelled to explain why they like their cars, and model 3 buyers feel compelled to explain why they like theirs. Tale as old as car forums, this general discussion has existed since car forums were a thing, just substitute various brands larger, more expensive car for the smaller one.

Heck, in BMW forums (yes yes I know, BMW again), plenty of people tried to argue in the 3 series forums that the "best" version of the BMW 3 series was the lowest end model they sell in the US, with the 4 cylinder engine. People always use words like "Nimble" and "Tossable" to describe this, just like they do here.

Anyway, this goes on all the time, and I as I said, I cant figure out why people feel the need to do it.
It's just basic human nature to want to feel they belong to a certain team and have an "us against them" mentality. Go to any car forum and it's an echo chamber of why their model is better than others. Car enthusiasts represent the epitome of this behavior, and to be frank I can't stand most of them online or real life which is ironic because I am also one.

But excited to pick up my M3P tomorrow! Weather will be 75 F and sunny so should make it pleasant to do a thorough visual inspection. Already bought all of my accessories (mats, mud flaps, screen protector, hockey pucks, mobile charger).