Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or they anticipated more white orders. Doesn’t necessarily mean an issue with black… please don’t be an issue 🤣
Or.. (grasping at straws here trying to keep the hope alive 😬) … I’m pretty sure all the Tesla showroom M3P cars that have been spotted showing up have black interiors. Which makes sense really - if you have dozens of random dirty asses climbing in and out of the showroom car every day, maybe you want to go black for that. So, my (conspiracy?) theory is the first 100 or so black interiors they are cranking out now are headed to showrooms. After that they fill customer orders.
Yeah…. I’m probably nuts lol.

Reactions: MileHighM3P
They make things in batches. Could be as simple as this is the batch they have setup now so they want to sell more of it.

None of these cars are "custom made". Tesla doesnt have enough options available to need to make " @protatomonster 's Model 3). They build all model 3s and Ys in batches then match them to existing orders.

No one really has the inside knowledge that will post about it here, but like I said, it could be as simple as they are running grey paint batches now and dont have enough orders for it. Same reason they changed the price on red, they probably did not anticipate as many red orders as they got, so they "put a stop to it" by making them not eligible for regular tax credit (business leases notwithstanding).

That would also let them see how the tax credit is impacting sales directly, by manipulating this.

All guesses on my part.
I feel like the most of all the early images and videos were all of the red and it looked so great so people ordered it because they could stay under tax credit on 4/23…had they shown and equal number of black, blue, white and red models pre launch, people may have been enamored by them. Red is too flashy for me but i had to think long and hard about getting stealth. Last week I finally saw a clip of black and had I seen that on 4/22 it would have been what I prefers.

Since the release of the model 3, Tesla has switched up the free color:

2018: standard black
2020: pearl white
2022: midnight silver metallic
late 2023/2024: stealth grey
(Note: dates are from what I recall off the top of my head without verifying accuracy)

And technically, they're not making anyone go with grey; one would just have to pay additional for a different color. So, i think they're doing their part to ensure there's not an oversaturation of one color.

Plus, it's also documented that the free color varies by country or region. So this leads me to believe that the cost of producing certain colors isn't the number one factor in their decision to make a color free.
Coupled with another rate increase ANY non-stealth takes away tax credit now so I do believe they’re intentionally leading people to stealth. If it’s $8500+ you could just wrap for less

I personally want Stealth grey with stealth PPF. Had an Ignition Orange G8 GT and owned a black Camaro Z28 in the past. Done with black with swirls and rock chips and I don’t care for cops seeing a loud colored car no matter how quiet it is. If people decide to go with a different color later, Grey cost nothing and the money that would’ve gone to a Tesla color could go towards the new wrap color or colored PPF.
I did this with my previous model 3 when black was the free color. Instead of paying an additional 1k+ to get a different color, I used that savings toward a color wrap so I get a unique color AND some mild protection on the car (also because I swore off having a black car foreva!). Plus, with having a wrap on the car, it makes washing and detailing the car significantly easier because I didn't have to worry about swirl marks.

Last edited:
Yeah, mine says, "You cannot edit design at this time."

I consider this a good sign, from my experience, when your order is very close to production or in production, they don't let you change the details anymore. At least that's how Mercedes orders work

@P-Lo801 It'd be interesting to see how soon you get a VIN and if there is any merit to DW's theory. Keep us posted, I expect at least 5 refreshes every hour.

Reactions: P-Lo801 and DW3434
Curious what your configuration is? Trying to stay strong and stay with red/black... but after seeing some recent videos of the white interior (which looks QUITE good, and IMO better than black), coupled with likely getting the car much earlier... phew, I'm tempted to switch to gray/white.
Mine is stealth grey/black interior. I don't recall ever seeing the option to edit my design since I placed my order, though. I've checked maybe only once or twice since I placed my order on the first day, and then checking to see if I can edit my design out of curiosity maybe a couple weeks after.