Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do I have to order a home charging kit before I pick up the cars or do the service centers just sell them when picking up the car, forgot they arent included this time.
Would highly suggest ordering one! Who knows what they will/won't have in stock when you need it.

Do you already have a 240V outlet? You'll never keep up with charging the car at 120V normal house plug. I'd also highly suggest getting a wall-mounted one, it's just much easier in the end.

Reactions: jiren
Never owned a car with summer tires yall. Will I be ok to run them year-round in southeastern coastal NC? I was planning on eating through these perellis this summer then replacing them with Pilot sport all season 4s, but EDD is now late July-August.😭. Temps in the winter here are a low of mid 30s.

Also side question are they going to deliver this car with summer tires in the northern US in the winter?

Would highly suggest ordering one! Who knows what they will/won't have in stock when you need it.

Do you already have a 240V outlet? You'll never keep up with charging the car at 120V normal house plug. I'd also highly suggest getting a wall-mounted one, it's just much easier in the end.
I wouldn’t necessarily say “never” .

If I didn’t have my local city have a rebate on level 2 chargers I probably wouldn’t get one. There’s a supercharger right across from me for emergencies

Ya 240, I have an open dryer outlet that I charge at at home. I would get a wall mounted eventually but no need yet, although they are pretty much free these days, pretty sure my power company fully covers the cost.

Reactions: GuyFromAz
Just another FYI for trade in question

1000013969.jpg

Never owned a car with summer tires yall. Will I be ok to run them year-round in southeastern coastal NC? I was planning on eating through these perellis this summer then replacing them with Pilot sport all season 4s, but EDD is now late July-August.😭. Temps in the winter here are a low of mid 30s.

Also side question are they going to deliver this car with summer tires in the northern US in the winter?
Summer tires typically start to lose grip as temps get below about 50. High powered RWD ICE cars get pretty sketchy on summer tires in the 30s. AWD definitely helps. But EVs can modulate their power much better than ICE. I doubt you’ll have an issue with acceleration (other than being relatively slow). Handling will be worse.

I don’t expect any issues for dailying the car through the winter in VA.

Reactions: D Good
Getting mine delivered on Tuesday, tints will go on Wednesday, planning on going 20% all around and 70% for the windshield (for the first time) all ceramic, so can let you know. I have always had cars with tints, my last M3P was 20% all around and its easy seeing out of most windows other than the back one at night, hopefully ceramic makes it a bit easier to see but over all not a problem
Mind uploading some night-driving pics/videos? Would love to see what that would look like as that's the same exact config I'm thinking about doing.

I ran the original summer tires on my 2020 M3P for two winters here in Palmdale. While we dont get alot of snow (twice in the past 5 years), it does get sub 20 degrees in the mornings during winter. Definitely lost some traction as the tires were hard as rock, but no other issues. I have heard people warn of cracking tires, but never saw that myself.

Reactions: D Good
Just accepted my trade in offer. I left it hanging waiting until I get a VIN. I just realized the 30-day mark hits today and I have to submit another application tomorrow…

I filled out both the financing and trade-in offer and accepted the trade-in offer on the day of release (4/23). As of right now (5/25) they both still show completed and I've gotten no request to resubmit. I don't think it's a big deal because both were accepted in just hours the first time so I doubt it'll delay things much IF I have to do them again.

Edit: I also just remembered that I did ALL of that stuff the same day when I got my 2021 LR that was in inventory. Picked the car up later that same day. So I've not worried too much about having to resubmit things if that happens.

I would strongly recommend against using summer tires in weather that cold. In fact, the tire warranty does not even cover issues resulting from driving the car below 45 degrees F. The reason for this comes down to the differences in the materials used. In cold weather, summer tires become brittle. This likely wouldn't be too pronounced at temperatures around 40-50, but the colder it gets, the more risky driving on summer tires becomes. I hope they will start offering the car with all season tires as an option, since we are already seeing EDDs past September.

I had the same plan as you, to eat through the tires and then replace them with Pilot Sport all seasons, and am in the same delivery date range. Let's hope they have an all season option, or even better, we both get pushed forward to June

Dang, I go out for a nice leisurely dinner with the wife and this thread blows up with 5 additional pages of posts.
Glad to see there are plenty of looney, obsessive folks on this forum, just like me! 🤪🤣

I see that @M3PDenver already answered @jjrandorin ’s question about the brakes.
The only thing I’ll add is, while Tesla advertises the standard M3P brakes as “track-ready”, I highly doubt they are true track tested/worthy brakes. Certainly nothing like what you would get in a true “track pack” brake option, like what is offered on the Model S Plaid. I’m sure it won’t be long before a forum member tracks their new M3P, and then we’ll know just how good/average the standard “track-ready” brakes are…
The track pad compound took me from brake fade to no brake fade on the track with very aggressive driving, they already have bimetal rotors. Bimetal is very impressive and I'm not even sure what ICE cars come with bimetal. I think this is understated on the M3P. The plaid is carbon ceramic which is a totally different league and worthless on the streets.