Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an audiophile, I’m curious why you’d lower the subwoofer if there’s too much bass rather than lowering the bass settings on the midrange speakers. Wouldn’t letting the sub handle the low-end be more effective?
Depends how effective the crossover is. If it's set correctly the subs and the low end of the mids shouldn't be overlapping much.

As someone who has driven a Model X for the last year, don't worry about the lack of stalks.

There's two ways to look at this issue: as a rental car, or as a car you own.

As a rental car, yes, lack of stalks is different and would be annoying.

As a car you own, you get used to it very quickly. Even my non-paying-attention-to-anything wife thought the turn signals were super simple and it was a complete non-issue for her. Let me be very clear, if the stalk removal was a paid option -- at least for turn signals, I would pay to remove it. Using a button with your thumb is nicer than the more exaggerated motion to hit the stalk.

For the gear selector, I do prefer a stalk. Tesla has changed the programming a bit over the last year though and made the hit target much easier to swipe. I also like just having to hit the brake 90% of the time and the car will pick the right direction. The only real issue I have with gear selector on the screen is when you need to do a quick 3 point or K turn. Being able to focus on the rear view camera or what's in front of you while shifting gear by feel with the stalk is superior. With the screen gear selector you usually have to at least glance at it to get the swipe.
True, yeah I can see myself getting used to the turn signals, and even the shifting for the most part, but like you mentioned, its the 3 point turn that I hope I can make smooth, I almost wish there would be a setting that lets you hit the brake once for drive or reverse and then the second time just puts it in the opposite gear, not sure what they can do to make that better.

tldr: Not having stalks is horrible, everything else is awesome as expected.

Just took delivery today and figured I would do my part and give some feedback.

My first Tesla was a 2020 M3P Blue with White, loved the car to death and was sad when I had to return the lease but timing (kind of) worked out and I waited for this new model to come out to finally place an order. Placed it 1 min after the announcement and had to push back my delivery a few days but finally took it today.

Delivery experience was smooth like always, 10 mins to get into the car and out the lot.

So far the car is 10/10 build wise, not one gap or rattle that I can notice, paint is OK like usual (red is the best looking quality wise after seeing one in person) but I love this dark grey color after seeing it in person. One thing that surprised me is they added a little tab at the underside of each door that latches into the car, apparently making it safer.

First thing I did was obviously change it to insane mode to make sure it is only driven that way and was nice to have the FSD trial straight off the lot.

Now for the drive, first thing I immediately noticed was it was way smoother than the old M3P, just going at low speeds and the turning out of the lot felt a lot more solid, I think the steering wheel has a little more weight to it even on standard mode. Next thing was how damn quiet it was inside. This is the biggest improvement I think with the new models, and I have yet to try it on the highway which will be the true test but so far this is 5x better than the last M3P sound wise. Soundsystem is also better with them adding one more sub and more speakers, over all the interior is awesome including the ambient light, I didnt notice it reflecting on anything but havent tinted my windows yet.

Now, the seats. This was something I was most looking forward to and so far... I don't know how I feel. I've had other sports cars like an S4 with comfy bucket seats. I was pleasantly surprised when I went from bucket seats to non for the 2020 M3P but I ended up loving those seats. They were in my opinion, super comfortable and even more comfortable than these new bucket seats but will give it some time, only had 30 mins in the car so far. My main complaint is the higher bolster on the bottom of the seats makes getting in and out slightly more uncomfortable, before you could just slide into your seat, but now, you kind of have to climb in. I'm assuming the seats are something I'll quickly get used to and love because they do look great, but those are my initial impressions, just being as honest as possible in this (30 mins in) review.

After taking a quick right out of the lot I was presented with a long road with no traffic so of course had to give it some power (or all of it, battery was at 65% I think). Definitely a nice improvement from the last M3P and I actually noticed a tiny bit of wheel spin or loss of traction, almost like these tires couldn't handle all of the power but the biggest difference is in the top end. Just where you expect it to trail off it keeps going for another half second or so. So its not a huge difference in terms of speed when compared to the last M3P but it does feel more refined and sharper if that makes sense. Felt like I was driving a hot knife through butter, the last m3p had the speed but now I think it has the quickness in handling which makes it even more fun.

Now comes the part I hate, and yes, I am going to say HATE. No stalks... I'll give it some time to see if I get used to it, but this is such a problem, that if I test drove this car, I honestly would have to have serious second thoughts about it. I always knew people talked about taking the stalks aways being a bad decision, but I didn't think it would be this bad...

I can't use my blinkers, at all. I am sure (or hoping) the muscle memory will get there, but just driving 10 miles home, I was having to straight up ignore using my signals because of how bad it was. Using a blinker is a split second decision, I had to think about what to do every time I wanted to use a blinker which was honestly just distracting, so for now I'll forgo using them (lol).

Even worse is removing the stalk to put the car in park/drive/reverse. I do 3 point turns and back into my spot every day, it was the easiest thing ever with my 2020 M3P with stalks. I just got home and tried with my new car and it was absolutely horrendous. Having to hold my hand near the screen and awkwardly flick my finger backwards and forwards, and then the worst part.. holding the screen to park... really tesla???

I am seriously in disbelief about this decision, and I hate to be a downer on this amazing car, but I would honestly like to know, do you just get used to it, or is it as bad as I think it is. I know there is an option to auto select drive, which I'm using, but that aint' it either. Maybe it is something they can improve, or hell, just let me select drive and reverse with my scroll wheel. Anything but the current solution. I'm all ears though on what other people think or how they deal with it.

So yeah, the car is great as expected, a big improvement over the last one over all. But removing the stalks takes this from a 10/10 to a 8/10 so far. Yes, its that bad.

I am going to tint my windows 20% all around and 50% windshield, I hope I don't regret going to dark on the windshield but want to try it. Also might lightly tint the headlights and taillights (unless that is stupid and will be unsafe) to get a more stealthy look.

Anyways, look forward to the good times with this car...roadster next?

View attachment 1051766

I think cash payment has something to do with it. Would make sense for them to prioritize cash orders prior to quarter end. Kicking myself for not choosing cash now ha
Why would cash be better than lease or finance, the latter I would presume they’re even taking points (I’m financing through Telsa and have accepted terms, so I’d think if anything mine would be prioritized?)

Me tomorrow morning thinking I’m getting a VIN # and all that happens is the ETD gets pushed up by 1 day.

1717036936368.jpeg

Why would cash be better than lease or finance, the latter I would presume they’re even taking points (I’m financing through Telsa and have accepted terms, so I’d think if anything mine would be prioritized?)
There's no difference. At least I doubt it, I placed my order and was able to change from cash to lease back to cash and then literally on my way to pickup back to lease lol.

As an audiophile, I’m curious why you’d lower the subwoofer if there’s too much bass rather than lowering the bass settings on the midrange speakers. Wouldn’t letting the sub handle the low-end be more effective?
Absolutely not. The bass from the sub VERY obviously comes from the rear trunk and sounds completely detached. I’ll mess with it more tomorrow.

Reactions: Andrés Ornelas
Went to another Tesla showroom near work and finally got a nice SA to pull up my order in the system. Original SA was totally useless so he tried to message the Fremont delivery center to move my delivery location there. Maybe I'll actually get some real updates then.

It looks like a lot fewer VINs got assigned this week than before the weekend, which suggests something is going on to slow down the process.

Reactions: bolduser31
Not really tbh. Half the time cops don’t see you as much as hear the engine noise spewing out db like a concert lol. Thats what alerts them.

I used to own a 2018 MCRed MS 100D and the number of times I went by undercover cops at over speed limit and literally ignored was astounding.

Anecdotal instances:

Back then I once ran with a Bimmer 535d from light to light only. I pulled ahead quite easily and got to 100kph before braking. (No cars in front, 3 lane road). The black Bimmer was slower, behind me and he got pulled over. Loud engine.

Second time I was driving at 90kph in 60 zone to overtake a van going 50…I passed a cop sitting undercover on the side while overtaking and the car overtaking right behind me was a loud mustang. Again, he gets pulled and I’m gone. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I’ve got 10 more over the 4 yrs of zero tickets and zero pull overs for a red car.

I truly suspect if they can’t hear you, they don’t even look up to glance.

You're in canada right. Don't you guys have mounties? How are they gonna catch you on their meese

Absolutely not. The bass from the sub VERY obviously comes from the rear trunk and sounds completely detached. I’ll mess with it more tomorrow.
That's unfortunate. That sounds like a badly set crossover almost. Low frequency shouldn't be all that directional so it almost sounds like they are pushing too high of frequencies through the sub to compensate for maybe having too small of mid-range cones?

Don't have mine yet to give a direct opinion.

True, yeah I can see myself getting used to the turn signals, and even the shifting for the most part, but like you mentioned, its the 3 point turn that I hope I can make smooth, I almost wish there would be a setting that lets you hit the brake once for drive or reverse and then the second time just puts it in the opposite gear, not sure what they can do to make that better.
So I recently have been using the beta auto shift and they just updated it to the auto three-point turn and it is extremely good

tldr: Not having stalks is horrible, everything else is awesome as expected.

Just took delivery today and figured I would do my part and give some feedback.

My first Tesla was a 2020 M3P Blue with White, loved the car to death and was sad when I had to return the lease but timing (kind of) worked out and I waited for this new model to come out to finally place an order. Placed it 1 min after the announcement and had to push back my delivery a few days but finally took it today.

Delivery experience was smooth like always, 10 mins to get into the car and out the lot.

So far the car is 10/10 build wise, not one gap or rattle that I can notice, paint is OK like usual (red is the best looking quality wise after seeing one in person) but I love this dark grey color after seeing it in person. One thing that surprised me is they added a little tab at the underside of each door that latches into the car, apparently making it safer.

First thing I did was obviously change it to insane mode to make sure it is only driven that way and was nice to have the FSD trial straight off the lot.

Now for the drive, first thing I immediately noticed was it was way smoother than the old M3P, just going at low speeds and the turning out of the lot felt a lot more solid, I think the steering wheel has a little more weight to it even on standard mode. Next thing was how damn quiet it was inside. This is the biggest improvement I think with the new models, and I have yet to try it on the highway which will be the true test but so far this is 5x better than the last M3P sound wise. Soundsystem is also better with them adding one more sub and more speakers, over all the interior is awesome including the ambient light, I didnt notice it reflecting on anything but havent tinted my windows yet.

Now, the seats. This was something I was most looking forward to and so far... I don't know how I feel. I've had other sports cars like an S4 with comfy bucket seats. I was pleasantly surprised when I went from bucket seats to non for the 2020 M3P but I ended up loving those seats. They were in my opinion, super comfortable and even more comfortable than these new bucket seats but will give it some time, only had 30 mins in the car so far. My main complaint is the higher bolster on the bottom of the seats makes getting in and out slightly more uncomfortable, before you could just slide into your seat, but now, you kind of have to climb in. I'm assuming the seats are something I'll quickly get used to and love because they do look great, but those are my initial impressions, just being as honest as possible in this (30 mins in) review.

After taking a quick right out of the lot I was presented with a long road with no traffic so of course had to give it some power (or all of it, battery was at 65% I think). Definitely a nice improvement from the last M3P and I actually noticed a tiny bit of wheel spin or loss of traction, almost like these tires couldn't handle all of the power but the biggest difference is in the top end. Just where you expect it to trail off it keeps going for another half second or so. So its not a huge difference in terms of speed when compared to the last M3P but it does feel more refined and sharper if that makes sense. Felt like I was driving a hot knife through butter, the last m3p had the speed but now I think it has the quickness in handling which makes it even more fun.

Now comes the part I hate, and yes, I am going to say HATE. No stalks... I'll give it some time to see if I get used to it, but this is such a problem, that if I test drove this car, I honestly would have to have serious second thoughts about it. I always knew people talked about taking the stalks aways being a bad decision, but I didn't think it would be this bad...

I can't use my blinkers, at all. I am sure (or hoping) the muscle memory will get there, but just driving 10 miles home, I was having to straight up ignore using my signals because of how bad it was. Using a blinker is a split second decision, I had to think about what to do every time I wanted to use a blinker which was honestly just distracting, so for now I'll forgo using them (lol).

Even worse is removing the stalk to put the car in park/drive/reverse. I do 3 point turns and back into my spot every day, it was the easiest thing ever with my 2020 M3P with stalks. I just got home and tried with my new car and it was absolutely horrendous. Having to hold my hand near the screen and awkwardly flick my finger backwards and forwards, and then the worst part.. holding the screen to park... really tesla???

I am seriously in disbelief about this decision, and I hate to be a downer on this amazing car, but I would honestly like to know, do you just get used to it, or is it as bad as I think it is. I know there is an option to auto select drive, which I'm using, but that aint' it either. Maybe it is something they can improve, or hell, just let me select drive and reverse with my scroll wheel. Anything but the current solution. I'm all ears though on what other people think or how they deal with it.

So yeah, the car is great as expected, a big improvement over the last one over all. But removing the stalks takes this from a 10/10 to a 8/10 so far. Yes, its that bad.

I am going to tint my windows 20% all around and 50% windshield, I hope I don't regret going to dark on the windshield but want to try it. Also might lightly tint the headlights and taillights (unless that is stupid and will be unsafe) to get a more stealthy look.

Anyways, look forward to the good times with this car...roadster next?

View attachment 1051766
Great review. As for the stalks, I think some people get used to them pretty quickly and others find them frustrating. I’ve driven a Highland M3 a number of times and found it took me about 15 minutes to adapt to the turn signals. I still have to look down on the steering wheel to find the button but I’m sure eventually muscle memory kicks in. For the drive stalk, i think they are working on a three point turn solution that wil automatically shift when it detects you are making three point turns so hopefully that will go away with a future update. Let us know after you’ve had a week or two with the car if it still annoys you or if you are getting more comfortable with the new stalkless design.

That literally already exists put on the beta auto shift. It does three-point turns exactly like that and it works extremely well.

Since I have a VIN and the delivery range is in about two weeks (June 9-15th) think it's safe to sell my primary vehicle? Thinking about getting a Turo rental until delivery and using the remainder for down payment.

Also, I imagine long-range and standard are the same dimensions as the performance for accessories such as floor matts?

Reactions: eric135i
Great review. As for the stalks, I think some people get used to them pretty quickly and others find them frustrating. I’ve driven a Highland M3 a number of times and found it took me about 15 minutes to adapt to the turn signals. I still have to look down on the steering wheel to find the button but I’m sure eventually muscle memory kicks in. For the drive stalk, i think they are working on a three point turn solution that wil automatically shift when it detects you are making three point turns so hopefully that will go away with a future update. Let us know after you’ve had a week or two with the car if it still annoys you or if you are getting more comfortable with the new stalkless design.
Excited to spend more time with the car and get used to it a bit more, apparently there is a solution already for 3 point turns so I might have to mess with that more, I'm sure by tomorrow even my review of the stalks could change

Reactions: Andrés Ornelas
In one of the recent review videos it was mentioned that the new M3P will charge faster than the LR due to the battery (at least in the U.S.). Is this accurate and if so anyone know how much faster? What would estimated 20-80% charge times be? Thanks.

That's unfortunate. That sounds like a badly set crossover almost. Low frequency shouldn't be all that directional so it almost sounds like they are pushing too high of frequencies through the sub to compensate for maybe having too small of mid-range cones?

Don't have mine yet to give a direct opinion.
Yeah it's odd. I'll try to throw test tones through it and figure things out. The midbass in the doors feels pretty good and strong but you can feel very clearly how the door isn't well dampened.

Also, low frequencies are non directional, but only in a concrete bunker. Most rooms (and ESPECIALLY cars, which is one of the many reasons I despise car audio) have vibrations, or floor energy transfer that gives away the location of the subs pretty easily especially above 60hz or so.

The bright side (pun intended) is that the system overall sounds pretty good. It's not bright or harsh at all and is pretty open sounding (I turned off the ambience thing but will play with it and revisit it tomorrow).

The trouble is, most people have never heard a properly set up stereo system, so as much as I can provide advice on tuning of the system etc -- it doesn't necessarily mean people will think it sounds good because I'm battling against a possible lifetime of thinking "improper" sound is good.

Last edited:
any idea how to activate this, I know the setting is on but how do I pull it off when trying to make a 3 pt turn
So what will happen is when you reverse out of a spot it should show on the display that you have to apply the brake and turn the wheel and it’ll auto shift into drive. You’ll see a little image of a brake pedal and a gas pedal and when you apply the brake a green check will show then when you turn the wheel the gas pedal will get a green check as well and it’ll auto shift