Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could be worse y’all! Back in the late 80s my dad got a used Cadillac that had a rattle in the trunk while driving. Obviously hard to figure out where it was coming from, so he had 8 year old me climb into the trunk with a flashlight and then drove it down a road while I was supposed to figure out where the rattle was coming from. Ahh… the 80s. 😂

Sounds like your dad got a Brian Bosworth special.

Reactions: normcaldwell
Not sure if it’s the Ys. The other day someone posted a vid of drone over Fremont and it’s a ghost town. I did wonder if there is some kind of backup causing them to slow down because there is far more VINs than people taking delivery.

Not sure if the train derailment and fire at the factory some how lead to a standstill for a bit? I just can’t imagine with end of quarter around the corner that they wouldn’t want to be massively pumping these out. I doubt this is intentional.

This is my first time ordering a Tesla and being on here, so maybe someone with more experience can weigh in. Do they typically go in waves like this seems to be doing? Or do they typically pump them out at a steady pace?

This is a new car launch, so its a bit different. Its also a (typically) lower run rate model. They steadily make them, but "THEM" = "Cars", switching between various models depending on whatever the plan was for manufacturing that specific vehicle.

So, to answer what I think your specific question is, "its normal for a specific model Tesla to be made in waves, even though Tesla generally steadily makes vehicles".

Welp.. I was supposed to pick up my car in an hour and just got a call from the delivery center that they found a large dent by the rear right wheel well. They said I could pick it up as is or accept delivery and schedule service. I opted to have them repair before accepting delivery.

Has this happened to anyone here before? I am wondering if I should just reject this one and wait for a new VIN. It sucks knowing that I am going to be paying for a new car that has already had significant damage.

People say this (and I get it, I really do) but its super duper common for cars to get damaged in transit, and then repaired. I know I keep mentioning BMW, but thats because its the one I am most familiar with, having driven / ordered only BMWs for almost 20 years prior to getting my Tesla in 2018.

Anyway, BMW has an entire facility at the Port of entry to the US for their vehicles, both for port installed options and also for repairs. They fix a ton of stuff, including dents and stuff that happened on the way here from Germany. They dont even have to disclose this stuff either, unless its over a certain threshhold of dollar value of damage. I dont remember what it is, but its definitely not "a couple hundred dollars".

TL ; DR .. I get it, but this stuff happens. Be that as it may, if it bothers you, then perhaps it would be best to reject this vin and go back in the queue. You dont want to be mad when you pick up your car, its supposed to be a happy / exciting time, especially since for anyone buying this car, it is a discretionary purchase. A person may need a car, but not a brand new one, and definitely not a "brand new performance version".... so do what makes you happy 👍

This is a new car launch, so its a bit different. Its also a (typically) lower run rate model. They steadily make them, but "THEM" = "Cars", switching between various models depending on whatever the plan was for manufacturing that specific vehicle.

So, to answer what I think your specific question is, "its normal for a specific model Tesla to be made in waves, even though Tesla generally steadily makes vehicles".
Gotcha thanks. That makes sense.

Hopefully it won’t be long! What time on the 23rd did you order? Curious because I ordered 4/23 at 9:30pmEST Sg/black in a Midwest state. Current EDD is 6/20-6/30 so hoping maybe since you got a VIN that there’s a shipment starting to be set up for the Midwest
1:00pm what’s interesting though is that the Edd jumped around but the current Edd is pretty much the one I had at first which was initially may23rd-june20th. Also my trade in has been pending for review since I ordered and I texted them about it a few weeks ago and out the blue yesterday somebody finally text me back and then they gave me the offer for the trade in and then boom today the vin popped up.

1:00pm what’s interesting though is that the Edd jumped around but the current Edd is pretty much the one I had at first which was initially may23rd-june20th. Also my trade in has been pending for review since I ordered and I texted them about it a few weeks ago and out the blue yesterday somebody finally text me back and then they gave me the offer for the trade in and then boom today the vin popped up.
The VIN gods work in mysterious ways

OK. As requested, here's the video of me aligning my frunk and fixing my rattle...

Thanks for posting the helpful video. I just watched it. Your rattle sound timbre is definitely different than mine which would make sense given that it's coming from the LED strip. Your rattle is more hollow and "plasticky" sounding. Mine sounds exactly like this owner's M3 from 2020

I didn't use an umbrella to diagnose but here's my solution. If I ever need to add some touch up paint I'm well prepared.

tempImageUQHJXW.jpg

Thanks for posting the helpful video. I just watched it. Your rattle sound timbre is definitely different than mine which would make sense given that it's coming from the LED strip. Your rattle is more hollow and "plasticky" sounding. Mine sounds exactly like this owner's M3 from 2020

I didn't use an umbrella to diagnose but here's my solution. If I ever need to add some touch up paint I'm well prepared.

View attachment 1054531

Lol. Now that I hear the other video, I do remember the speaker grill sounding like that (on my 2021). My solution was to remove both a-pillar trip pieces, remove the speaker grill, and put adhesive foam in strategic spots under the grill piece.

Am I the only one having trouble getting used to the new steering wheel scroll wheels? I thought it'd take me a while to get used to the turn signal buttons but after only 2 days, I'm already finding those easy to use. My problem is with the scroll wheels. I find it hard to press straight in without inadvertently scrolling. Conversely, I find it hard to click the wheel to the left and right without also inadvertently triggering a down (in) press. Examples:

- When pressing the scrollwheel to the left/right while adjusting a mirror, I inadvertenly press the wheel inward and it switches to the other mirror.
- When pressing inward on the right scroll wheel to activate FSD, I also end up scrolling (mostly up) and that can interrupt the FSD press

Is it just me?

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Am I the only one having trouble getting used to the new steering wheel scroll wheels? I thought it'd take me a while to get used to the turn signal buttons but after only 2 days, I'm already finding those easy to use. My problem is with the scroll wheels. I find it hard to press straight in without inadvertently scrolling. Conversely, I find it hard to click the wheel to the left and right without also inadvertently triggering a down (in) press. Examples:

- When pressing the scrollwheel to the left/right while adjusting a mirror, I inadvertenly press the wheel inward and it switches to the other mirror.
- When pressing inward on the right scroll wheel to activate FSD, I also end up scrolling (mostly up) and that can interrupt the FSD press

Is it just me?
Idk I will let you know when I take delivery of my M3P......... in August 😥

• Funny
Reactions: cdubois and arkhos

Is it just me?
scroll wheels on my 2020 M3P is perfect. rubberized feel and clicks accurately. the newer ones look good but not as good in terms of tactile and movement.