Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla sells the cars that are slated to be demos. Many of the ones that were to be demos in San Diego ended up getting assigned to clients. The "SA" can only pull in a current order. I got my '23 MP3 that way
I see, that makes sense. We have zero demos here in the Bay Area, just a select few went into the showrooms for customers to sit in and check out. None that could be taken on drives. No way to get an SA to sell you one of those.

There were two mid-May Fremont orders who got VINs five and two hours after ordering. There’s also a 4/23 Fremont order who still doesn’t have a VIN.

4/23 and June orders same spec at the same location in the Midwest with the June order that got a VIN.

This is why we have the running joke that Elon personally hired a monkey that pulls orders out of a hat all day that determines who gets a VIN.

I still think VIN assignments get made on a regional basis trying to cover as much of the country (evenly) as possible. So if you are in NY for example and the "position weighting" decided there would be an initial batch of 5 VINs for NY, you may not make round 1 and would have to wait for the second wave for NY. And if 20 people in NY ordered on day 1 within an hour of release, that'd leave 15 people scratching their heads wondering why other people got theirs first even though they may have ordered later. And it's because other areas might receive that second wave before NY does. And so on.

There is incentive to do this: cover as much of the country as possible. It gets M3Ps into varying weather, driving, and charging conditions so they can identify any glitches early on that might be influences by local conditions or local trends.

I just started reading the approximately 500 pages of this thread (still reading) anyway, thought
I would post my sad story:
Black/Black
Ordered 4/23/2024 at 4:45PM CDT
RN121550xxx
No trade in
Cash
Qualified for rebate
Minneapolis, MN area
EDDs:
May - June when ordered on 4/23
June after 7 days
July 6 - August 17 after 10 days
June 5 - June 30 after 20 days
June 25 - June 30 after 32 days
June 13 - June 30 after 41 days
July 3 - July 31 after 49 days
I'm planning to go on a hunger strike till they get me a VIN :)

I still think VIN assignments get made on a regional basis trying to cover as much of the country (evenly) as possible. So if you are in NY for example and the "position weighting" decided there would be an initial batch of 5 VINs for NY, you may not make round 1 and would have to wait for the second wave for NY. And if 20 people in NY ordered on day 1 within an hour of release, that'd leave 15 people scratching their heads wondering why other people got theirs first even though they may have ordered later. And it's because other areas might receive that second wave before NY does. And so on.

There is incentive to do this: cover as much of the country as possible. It gets M3Ps into varying weather, driving, and charging conditions so they can identify any glitches early on that might be influences by local conditions or local trends.
I agree that it's regional but for a different reason. Just to maximize QUARTERLY numbers. They have always done this. Basically, Northern California is the only shipments at the end of quarters because they can't report numbers when a car is in-route. So, they want all SHIPPED cars to be DELIVERED prior to the quarter or they won't ship that quarter. Long distances get shipments when the quarter renews so that the delivery is captured in that quarter. It's games that Silicon Valley has played for decades to fake demand and boost numbers

115 miles and 4 days in, I am continuing to be impressed with my SG/white. The wait will be worth it, I can't believe how much car you get for the money.

As a new tesla owner, I was trying to figure out why my launches always seemed to start off with a second pause (sort of like turbo lag) before it launched. Figured out turning off obstacle detection in autopilot removed that delay. Took my family for a launch in insane mode and they loved it. I felt my blood rushing through my head lol.

115 miles and 4 days in, I am continuing to be impressed with my SG/white. The wait will be worth it, I can't believe how much car you get for the money.

As a new tesla owner, I was trying to figure out why my launches always seemed to start off with a second pause (sort of like turbo lag) before it launched. Figured out turning off obstacle detection in autopilot removed that delay. Took my family for a launch in insane mode and they loved it. I felt my blood rushing through my head lol.
I do notice this happens. It seems like at red lights, it “sees” something in front of the car like the cross walk line and it hesitates before giving you the full beans.

Reactions: Sandee3 and Leoshi
Took delivery today a few hours ago. Found some tiny surface scratches that Tesla was able to buff out before leaving. Noticed some residue probably from the wrapping of the vehicle. Aero caps are making a clicking noise but plan on taking them off. Like knowing what the car is capable of doing performance wise while everyone driving around you have no clue. Still need to look over the car and nitpick for issues before 100 miles. Slight pull to the right but may be due to the road level.

Only heard when windows are down and driving slow, but its still very annoying. Normal driving you cant hear it at all so at least its not a huge issue. It is something I can live with but at the same time, also seems like something that shouldn't be a problem in the first place. I set up an appt with tesla so will see what they say
Just curious ATAG - if you are pretty sure it's the front driver-side wheel, maybe you could pop the Aeros off and see if the noise goes away - just for peace of mind?

If you did that already, my bad, I I must have missed it. But I wonder if that's it for certain? You could even then pop them back on one at a time and test until you find the 'one' that is bad? Could it be a defective cover with one of those metal brackets bent/busted?

Just spitballing. :)

I doubt it will make any difference, but I sent this message in the app:
Can you please tell the mother ship to stop telling me about non-performance Model 3s?

The delivery delay is already extremely frustrating, and those messages are basically sadistic for those of us waiting for updates on what we ordered.
I think next I'll start autoreplying with "wen VIN for what I ordered" every time I get a new unwanted notification.

The wait is worth it! She’s home!
Picked up today and can’t find one single thing wrong (well maybe one) - and I checked all the likely suspects. Paint is good, gaps are spot on, alignment is great, no rattling from dash, etc etc. the only thing I noticed was it started raining (although lightly) on the way home and I put the windshield wipers to auto but they never came on. I ended up just turning them on manually so really no big deal, but this is my first Tesla - does it need to be raining sort of hard for the wipers to auto? I may end up sitting in it tomorrow and having my daughter spray the windshield with our hose or something. Other than that (and a grueling 2 hour drive in under 30 mph interstate traffic coming home while sitting in a 500 hp beast) this car is GREAT. Hang in there everyone!!

Attachments

• IMG_1864.jpeg
    IMG_1864.jpeg
    465.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1865.jpeg
    IMG_1865.jpeg
    538.1 KB · Views: 2

Except that there are very few NY deliveries in general. And there's absolutely no way that there haven't been far far far more in California.

Reactions: RS21M3LR