Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those that recently tinted their cars did you debate Kavaca ultimate IR vs Xpel XR plus. Besides cost etc what was the reason why you picked one vs the other
i recently did a spreadsheet for my local tint shops. based on my many hours of Googling, youtube-ing, Llumar seems to be the best and proven history. My M3P is sitting in s detail shop getting tints an Stek PPF.

Not many shops offer Llumar. i was close to settling for 3M
i would get Kavaca instead of Xpel.

here's a Reddit post:

Want to know a secret about window tint? Almost all brands are reboxes of the big names (Eastman, Solar Gard, Garware, and a couple of smaller ones.). Let me break it down a bit further.

Eastman (made in South Korea)
  • Autobahn
  • LLumar
  • Gila
  • Black Magic
  • SunTek
Garware (made in India)

Global
  • XPEL
  • Kavaca
  • HITEK
  • Helios
  • GeoShield
There are no domestically produced (US) film companies. ASWF is based in the south, however, their product appears to be Chinese in origin and has a very high failure rate. There are publically available records through customs that aligns with this.

Focus on TSER - Total Solar Energy Rejection. That includes heat, UV/IR ray, and other metrics. Heat rejection is just how much heat penetrates the glass versus what bounced back.

Moral - they all are mostly the same aside from slight differences (i.e. polymer color change, adhesive strength, etc.) so choose whichever has the numbers and customer service to your liking.

i recently did a spreadsheet for my local tint shops. based on my many hours of Googling, youtube-ing, Llumar seems to be the best and proven history. My M3P is sitting in s detail shop getting tints an Stek PPF.

here's a Reddit post:

Want to know a secret about window tint? Almost all brands are reboxes of the big names (Eastman, Solar Gard, Garware, and a couple of smaller ones.). Let me break it down a bit further.

• Autobahn
  • LLumar
  • Gila
  • Black Magic
  • SunTek
Garware (made in India)

Global
  • XPEL
  • Kavaca
  • HITEK
  • Helios
  • GeoShield
There are no domestically produced (US) film companies. ASWF is based in the south, however, their product appears to be Chinese in origin and has a very high failure rate. There are publically available records through customs that aligns with this.

Focus on TSER - Total Solar Energy Rejection. That includes heat, UV/IR ray, and other metrics. Heat rejection is just how much heat penetrates the glass versus what bounced back.

Moral - they all are mostly the same aside from slight differences (i.e. polymer color change, adhesive strength, etc.) so choose whichever has the numbers and customer service to your liking.
Any advice on photochromatic (aka self darkening) tints? I was able to confirm they are a thing that exists but couldn't find much detail.

I have pretty severe photophobia (I squint on Sunny days even with 8% vlt sunglasses and squint without sunglasses even on overcast cloudy days.).

It's historically been easier just to wear heavy sunglasses that I can take off at night but with FSD starting to allow level 2 if you aren't wearing sunglasses soon, I am considering getting a medical exception to tint but don't want to have it darkened a bunch at night.

here's a Reddit post:

• Autobahn
  • LLumar
  • Gila
  • Black Magic
  • SunTek
Garware (made in India)

Global
  • XPEL
  • Kavaca
  • HITEK
  • Helios
  • GeoShield

Awesome info thanks for sharing. Confirms my limited research. This is so true for so many products. just out of curiosity in you're research is 3M also a reseller? I am aware of them only be being a manufacture for there traditional products..

How soon before you car is delivered do they typically send you the option to schedule a delivery day?

I got my VIN last week. EDD is 6/28-6/30

I went to my delivery location yesterday and they said it’s leaving the factory and expected to arrive early next week

Just curious when I can expect to get a message to schedule delivery. Do they usually wait until they physically receive the car?

Reactions: ashegam
Awesome info thanks for sharing. Confirms my limited research. This is so true for so many products. just out of curiosity in you're research is 3M also a reseller? I am aware of them only be being a manufacture for there traditional products..
for 3M there are a few installers in my search area. one was dirt cheap, but do have high Google reviews. read some posts indicating low angle haze on the 3M tint products and that they are not a dedicated tint Film manufacturer ... more focused on adhesives.. slight brownish...etc.

Lower end/affordable shops mainly use Global, then Raynor and then Suntek. for these places, i don't see how you can guarantee that you are getting what you pay for, unless you see them open a sealed box roll of tint and install it in front of you.

Reactions: sgtauto