Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Test Drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The statement is ambiguous at best. If you take it as a reply to the tweet it is actually a reply to, then it means P inverters are upgraded. Which actually makes sense from an engineering perspective.

It doesn't make sense from any perspective.

The inverters are part of the drive unit.

Elon said the drive units are lot sorted.

That's impossible if they use different inverters.

It doesn't make sense from any perspective.

The inverters are part of the drive unit.
We're going to get into a semantics game now? They are not part of the motor. Inverters are paired with the motors.

Elon said the drive units are lot sorted.

That's impossible if they use different inverters.

It's interesting how you find certainty in the face of ambiguity. Tesla has been pairing inverters of different capabilities with the similar motor hardware for the entire life of Model S/X, I don't see why they'd change now.

• Disagree
Reactions: ℬête Noire
It's interesting how you find certainty in the face of ambiguity. Tesla has been pairing inverters of different capabilities with the similar motor hardware for the entire life of Model S/X, I don't see why they'd change now.
"Drive unit" is a more encompassing term than "motor". It's generally the motor, power electronics (to convert and modulate the DC input to what the motor requires), and transaxle parts, all in an assembled housing.

EDIT: I'd expect that the "burn-in" would be done at the drive unit level. To make sure the heat management in the drive unit, oil circulation, physical gears, etc. is all tested, too.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: ddm3
We're going to get into a semantics game now? They are not part of the motor. Inverters are paired with the motors.

there's no semantics here at all.

The drive unit includes all those parts in a single thing.

The drive unit is what is being lot sorted.

That's not possible if they have different internal parts.

It's interesting how you find certainty in the face of ambiguity.

it's interesting how you find ambiguity in the face of certainty :)

Tesla has been pairing inverters of different capabilities with the similar motor hardware for the entire life of Model S/X, I don't see why they'd change now.

because when Tesla does that it produces different drive units, with different part numbers, that are built differently with different internals.

Tesla is not doing that with the model 3. Because "sorting" by drive unit would make zero sense if they were.

"Drive unit" is a more encompassing term than "motor". It's generally the motor, power electronics (to convert and modulate the DC input to what the motor requires), and transaxle parts, all in an assembled housing.

EDIT: I'd expect that the "burn-in" would be done at the drive unit level. To make sure the heat management in the drive unit, oil circulation, physical gears, etc. is all tested, too.

I don't see why you'd test and bin motors+inverter together, when you could have higher yield by binning them independently, then taking the product. It's not like manufacturing an inverter has *ANYTHING* to do with manufacturing the motor. Different materials, different process, different equipment.

I don't see why you'd test and bin motors+inverter together, when you could have higher yield by binning them independently, then taking the product. It's not like manufacturing an inverter has *ANYTHING* to do with manufacturing the motor. Different materials, different process, different equipment.
Binning the individual parts first and matching the bins to each other, calling the combination binned, then checking the results (because it's the unit as a whole that really matters) is also very much a potential.

*shrug* Believe what you want to believe, time will sort it out.

If you can do it earlier see if they will let you. I actually called Park Meadows, I am a current owner of a RWD 3 (also previously owned an S) and I will be doing my Test Drive tomorrow morning. I did call them, they did not reach out to me.

Update. The employee I spoke to yesterday in Park Meadows was mistaken in them having a Performance Model 3. They have a regular RWD Model 3 for test drives. Given I already own one, I didn't take a test drive. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up. I'm pretty disappointed in wasting my time driving out there.

Booo, both "local" showroom locations don't have a known arrival date for the P test drive. However I'm booked for a RWD test drive on Sunday at Houston Galleria. I hadn't realized that they had Model 3 test drives available on their floor unit.

I just called the store and they told me the car they have for test drives is a RWD and that they expect a performance model in the next month. Strange...
The rep who did my Model S test drive and told me it was a performance model was the stores "fleet manager" (or something similar to that) so I would assume he would know what he was talking about. I should have stopped and taken a closer look when we walked past. Guess I'll find out for sure on Monday.

EDIT - I emailed the rep who called me to set up the Model 3 test drive - she confirmed it is a performance model.

Last edited: