Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my understanding is that you physically taking delivery is what matters
Yes, this is correct. The IRS says "If you bought and placed in service a new qualified plug-in electric vehicle (EV) or fuel cell vehicle (FCV) on January 1, 2023 or later and meet certain income limitations, you may be eligible for a clean vehicle tax credit up to $7,500 under Internal Revenue Code Section 30D."

You need to take delivery unfortunately. You can't place it into service without doing that. I'm hoping that the new battery requirements for the credit don't take effect until 3/31.

Reactions: hintoml
Hi All - new here and excited assuming I can get my car BEFORE I lose out on the $7,500. If I miss out on the credit, that greatly changes the value prop which may lead to an order cancellation and a $250 donation to the Tesla fund (sunk cost at this point).

M3P White/Black
Ordered: 1/26
Completed pre-delivery tasks: 1/26
EDD: Jan-Feb (when I ordered)...Feb-Mar after I ordered?
Updated EDD 1/31: Feb 27 - March 31 (waaay too wide for my liking)
No VIN yet

I scrolled through the earlier parts of the thread and wasn't able to gain clarity (not that there is any) - what is the defining point in time for the tax credit to qualify - getting a VIN, making payment, taking delivery? Unfortunately, due to the above timeline I am concerned I could complete everything (including payment) but then have delivery fall on the wrong side of the deadline.
The key date is when you take delivery. However, I think you make your payment very close to the day of delivery if not on the same day, and I think you can cancel even after you get your VIN. I could be wrong as I'm not that far along in the process (still waiting for a VIN). Hopefully others can chime in, but I don't think there is that much of a window between when you are truly "locked in" and when you take delivery of the vehicle.

Good point though - a lot of us will be refreshing the app, and refreshing news sites for info on the tax credit updates multiple times per day throughout March.

Reactions: WildMedigan
OD: 1/16 in Southern California
EDD: jan 29-feb 15
Updated EDD on 1/30: feb 1-feb 9
VIN recieved on: 2/1

Got a text to schedule my delivery 2hrs after I got my VIN and scheduled delivery for this Saturday (2/4).

Seems like VINs are being rolled out for orders placed on the 15/16th of January currently

Found an inventory M3P (silver with black interior) last night and jumped on it. Delivery 2/14 - 2/20. So, right now I have paid the $250 order fee. I understand if I canceled now, I would lose that. I also have the Order Agreement ready to be sign on the app. Once I sign that, then I would be responsible for the order fee and $1390 application fee correct? At what point is there "no turning back?"
Where are you in Texas. Been looking everyday and can't find one.

Where are you in Texas. Been looking everyday and can't find one.
South Texas. I'll be picking it up in Brownsville. I use this site and set up to get instant M3 inventory notifications via the Telegram app.

Works very well, although you cannot limit the notices to just Texas inventory. Anyway, I woke up to use the bathroom as I so often do (I am a 51 year old male lol) at 4am and this car had just showed up in my inventory notifications. I decided what the hell and slapped my credit card down at 4 am.

Sharing my experience ordering my first Tesla. I went to Tesla dealer Peabody, MA to test drive M3 & MY. Of course, no inventory except for M3RW. This was Jan 20th. I was contemplating ordering the M3RW. When we got home, I got a text from the sales rep stating there is M3LR Blue/Black came up on the available inventory with a link to order. I ordered it within a minute from when I got the text. The order had the VIN number assigned and delivery estimate Feb 3 - Feb 10. On Jan 26th, I got a notification that the car will be ready for pickup Feb 6-7. I scheduled the pickup for Feb 10th as I'm travelling during the week. The specs include "Cold weather Feature" - not sure what that is.

Excited to own my first Tesla but also anxious about the letting go of my BMW!

South Texas. I'll be picking it up in Brownsville. I use this site and set up to get instant M3 inventory notifications via the Telegram app.

Works very well, although you cannot limit the notices to just Texas inventory. Anyway, I woke up to use the bathroom as I so often do (I am a 51 year old male lol) at 4am and this car had just showed up in my inventory notifications. I decided what the hell and slapped my credit card down at 4 am.
Thank you for the info! Congratulations 🎉

OD: 1/17 12:45 pm Mountain (Denver metro) MSM/black
EDD: Feb 8 - Mar 8
VIN recieved on: 2/1 8:15pm
Now EDD Feb 14-21
I’m setting up financing and insurance tomorrow. Excited but it will be a garage queen until I can figure out how I want to do winter rims and tires. Likely get a new set of rims for summer and move stock to winter.

Reactions: Clover and hintoml
OD: 1/17 12:45 pm Mountain (Denver metro) MSM/black
EDD: Feb 8 - Mar 8
VIN recieved on: 2/1 8:15pm
Now EDD Feb 14-21
I’m setting up financing and insurance tomorrow. Excited but it will be a garage queen until I can figure out how I want to do winter rims and tires. Likely get a new set of rims for summer and move stock to winter.
I ordered about 8 hours after you in the Colorado Springs area, also MSM/black. Still showing EDD of 2/9 to 3/9. Hopefully, I'll get a VIN and updated EDD in the next 24 hours.

Reactions: Clover and hintoml
Hi All - new here and excited assuming I can get my car BEFORE I lose out on the $7,500. If I miss out on the credit, that greatly changes the value prop which may lead to an order cancellation and a $250 donation to the Tesla fund (sunk cost at this point).

M3P White/Black
Ordered: 1/26
Completed pre-delivery tasks: 1/26
EDD: Jan-Feb (when I ordered)...Feb-Mar after I ordered?
Updated EDD 1/31: Feb 27 - March 31 (waaay too wide for my liking)
No VIN yet

I scrolled through the earlier parts of the thread and wasn't able to gain clarity (not that there is any) - what is the defining point in time for the tax credit to qualify - getting a VIN, making payment, taking delivery? Unfortunately, due to the above timeline I am concerned I could complete everything (including payment) but then have delivery fall on the wrong side of the deadline.
Delivery. Date of Payment (deposit)and VIN (information) don't matter.

However we don't know what the date is, I'd expect in March the date is pushed back or if it is made effective it won't be for a number of months later.

Doesn't hurt to take delivery now though. Your more guaranteed the tax credit taking delivery now. But you also lose the possibility of more price cuts.

The key date is when you take delivery. However, I think you make your payment very close to the day of delivery if not on the same day, and I think you can cancel even after you get your VIN. I could be wrong as I'm not that far along in the process (still waiting for a VIN). Hopefully others can chime in, but I don't think there is that much of a window between when you are truly "locked in" and when you take delivery of the vehicle.

Good point though - a lot of us will be refreshing the app, and refreshing news sites for info on the tax credit updates multiple times per day throughout March.
Thanks all for sharing your insights and experience. Wild times we are living in and I sure hope it works out for everyone!

Also added my information to the google spreadsheet....

At this point there's a fine line in the Northeast for making sure we get the car and get the tax credit, but not getting it too soon and needing to immediately swap off the summer tires. PA is so annoying with weather now. I used to always have dedicated summer and winter sets, but it hasn't even snowed this year, so a very good all season tire has been fine. Granted, I have a Polestar 2 now with meh all seasons on it but can't imagine having the all this power and torque with summer tires right now.

Ordered on 1/24 Blue/Black and still at a 1/17-2/17 EDD