Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any first time Tesla buyers here that are surprised by their insurance quote? I know here in NYC we pay more than most other areas but I didn't expect my quote to be almost double what they're charging for my current vehicle. My increase in insurance cancels out the money saved on gas.
I just called my insurance company this morning and they quoted me around $1100 for 12 month which I think isn't bad.

BTW here's my timeline:
OD 2/12 MSM Black no FSD
EDD 4/17 to 5/15 since day one.
Anyone else like this?

I just called my insurance company this morning and they quoted me around $1100 for 12 month which I think isn't bad.

BTW here's my timeline:
OD 2/12 MSM Black no FSD
EDD 4/17 to 5/15 since day one.
Anyone else like this?
That's a good price. Allstate wanted to charge me that much for 6 months but I moved to State Farm and it's $550 for 6 months.

Your order experience matches mine. My OD and color are the same and your EDD is only 1 day off.

Reactions: zzxmax
I have stopped trying to make sense of the dates. I’ve been renting a car since my order and the dates impact whether I rent week to week or month to month, which is a bit cheaper. So at this point, the sporadic date changes are costing me
There has to be some fortune teller on here with a good track record.
OD 2/28 MP3 White/Black no FSD Central Cali, Go! Give me a ballpark. Thanks in advance guru.

I personally want to start ordering mats and *sugar* but i don't want to be stuck waiting and pote
Really? I actually have a F150 Raptor right now. I haven’t made any claims, my license is spotless and my credit is excellent. Not sure what the deal is. I have Geico. My Raptor is actually way cheaper to insure than just about any car I’ve ever had. So there’s that.
Samesies, Gen 2 raptor with Geico, I was told its a higher premium due to tesla being "electronic" and high tech.

I personally want to start ordering mats and *sugar* but i don't want to be stuck waiting and pote

Samesies, Gen 2 raptor with Geico, I was told its a higher premium due to tesla being "electronic" and high tech.
I also have a Gen 2. 2020 Supercab.
Insurance premiums are supposed to be based of chances of filling a claim, I would think Tesla has to be on the lower end of that spectrum due to all the advanced driver aids and Teslas being driven by a more mature demographic of people. Here where I live I see around 20 Teslas a day, I think I’ve seen one car with body damage. No exaggeration.

RE: Insurance premiums

This response from Quora makes sense:

It seems to be a bit of a mess. Insurance companies usually charge more for new kinds of car because they don’t have enough history on them to know what the likely repair costs will be. So that tends to push up the cost of insurance until they get that data.

On the other hand the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (who crash test cars and try to figure out how safe they are) said that the Tesla Model 3 was the safest car they’ve ever tested - and the Model S/X was also really very good.

So that should push insurance costs DOWN substantially.

Right now - I think the best answer is that you have to shop around and try to find an insurance company that has enough data…or enough trust.

If you happen to live in California - you can buy insurance directly from Tesla - and it’s really very cheap (because THEY HAVE THE DATA!!).

I also have a Gen 2. 2020 Supercab.
Insurance premiums are supposed to be based of chances of filling a claim, I would think Tesla has to be on the lower end of that spectrum due to all the advanced driver aids and Teslas being driven by a more mature demographic of people. Here where I live I see around 20 Teslas a day, I think I’ve seen one car with body damage. No exaggeration.
That's the other bullishit insurance uses to raise your rates. If there's a lot of the same car in your area they say the likelihood of that type of car getting into an accident increases so they charge more.

Basically it's cheaper to insure a a Porsche 911 than a Honda Civic

Reactions: tone228
Do you guys know anything about the 2022 M3P glass roof? Does it repel heat ok? or are people adding ceramic film? Im thinking of getting it clear ceramic film applied just to help keep heat out if it doesn't already do so.
I have had my 2022 M3P for 11 days now and I'm not really sure how the glass roof is going to hold up in the hotter months. I live in north eastern Tennessee so in the summer months the highs are normally around 90 degrees. It being March now there have already been several times while driving that the car seemed hotter inside than what I am used to. I may look into getting a shade for it or maybe getting the roof tinted.

Really? I actually have a F150 Raptor right now. I haven’t made any claims, my license is spotless and my credit is excellent. Not sure what the deal is. I have Geico. My Raptor is actually way cheaper to insure than just about any car I’ve ever had. So there’s that.
My Model Y P's insurance premium is double that of the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk that it replaced.... Insane, but there aren't a whole lot of shops that have expertise in repairing these cars.

I was about to post two nights ago to say that I ordered on 2/22…M3P/silver/white interior, said March for EDD before paying deposit, then switched to April 27-May 29 and I’ve never seen a single update in my EDD.

Update as of today:

Ordered 2/22: EDD March
Post Order: EDD April 29- May 27
Silence for a month
03/22: EDD April 7-May 5
03/22 two hours later: VIN received, financing finalized, call from Tesla Mt. Kisco, Car is there on site.
03/23: 11:30am EST picked up car

Exactly one month…my EDD never changed until the day I received my VIN and then picked up the car the following day

I was about to post two nights ago to say that I ordered on 2/22…M3P/silver/white interior, said March for EDD before paying deposit, then switched to April 27-May 29 and I’ve never seen a single update in my EDD.

Update as of today:

Ordered 2/22: EDD March
Post Order: EDD April 29- May 27
Silence for a month
03/22: EDD April 7-May 5
03/22 two hours later: VIN received, financing finalized, call from Tesla Mt. Kisco, Car is there on site.
03/23: 11:30am EST picked up car

Exactly one month…my EDD never changed until the day I received my VIN and then picked up the car the following day
Lucky. Sounds like you got a car someone didn’t show up for.