Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice the wait time for the P3D has shrunk? Now says 5 to 7 weeks. Was higher than that for when I ordered a few weeks ago. Makes me think they're going to start firing up the P3D line here in early March.

It shrinks by one week every week, usually on Tuesday/Wednesday. Started out at about 12 weeks in January. It'll continue that way though March. Come April it will reset. This is the way.

Tim

Last edited:
Did you see how much more poorly the 2021 M3P performs compared to the 2019 M3P after 70 SOC? It seems to be a bigger issue than below 20 percent. The 2021 is way down in power once you get below 70.
Is this all just based off that one video, or is it a verified issue?

I have a 2021 M3P, have never driven previous gen. Would be happy to test it against a 19 if someone wants to. I havent charged my car to over 80% yet, I feel its okay fast but not crazy fast.....I have had several high performance cars before so I am not sure if its just me not being impressed with the speed, or the car being slower than usual.

Is this all just based off that one video, or is it a verified issue?

I have a 2021 M3P, have never driven previous gen. Would be happy to test it against a 19 if someone wants to. I havent charged my car to over 80% yet, I feel its okay fast but not crazy fast.....I have had several high performance cars before so I am not sure if its just me not being impressed with the speed, or the car being slower than usual.

The results of that test have been verified by at least one other group in Europe. You will definitely get a bump in performance if you go from 80 to 90 but the car should still be pretty strong at 80 (i.e. 3.5 to 60). One thing about the speed is that it's so peaceful in its implementation that you are moving faster than you think. In an ICE car, there's all sorts of noise and other visceral feedback to let you know you are moving fast. There is zero drama in the Tesla.

We don't know enough about the issue to know whether it's a byproduct of sub zero temperatures, software or battery chemistry (probably a combo of all 3) but it's reasonable to conclude the cold outside temps have something to do with it (hopefully it has more than something). Since you are in california, a test against a 2019 would be informative but it needs to happen at SOCs lower than 70 which is where the differences started being noticeable. So, a drag race in 70 degree weather between a 2019 at say 50% SOC would be informative on the issue. In the test, the 2019 put out significantly more power at 50 SOC than the 2021.

Guys, problem. I think I’ve about run out of stuff to buy. There’s a few things left, but want to have a chance to really see the car before adding anything else (interior wraps, etc). There’s probably 3-4 weeks before the car gets here, what the heck am I going to do now to kill the time? Help!

Tim

• Funny
Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Guys, problem. I think I’ve about run out of stuff to buy. There’s a few things left, but want to have a chance to really see the car before adding anything else (interior wraps, etc). There’s probably 3-4 weeks before the car gets here, what the heck am I going to do now to kill the time? Help!

Tim

I know.....this is brilliant marketing by Tesla. They make you wait 3 months, and during that time, you buy all their accessories and even, in my case, spend another $8000.00 on the car upgrading to the next model. If I had bought "existing inventory" (there was none) I would probably have saved about $10,000.00.

• Funny
Reactions: TBrownTX
I know.....this is brilliant marketing by Tesla. They make you wait 3 months, and during that time, you buy all their accessories and even, in my case, spend another $8000.00 on the car upgrading to the next model. If I had bought "existing inventory" (there was none) I would probably have saved about $10,000.00.
Mine is the opposite, I found a 2020 m3p with 8k miles that will save me 9k, I think im going to pull the trigger.

Yep it’s sad, I really hope Tesla addresses this soon.

Same here. If it were one or the other I wouldn’t really care too much, but having both the potential of a Tax Credit and the battery issue is seriously making me consider pausing…

However, the tax credit could be offset with a price increase, although this seems unlikely since not everyone can qualify for the Tax Credit. Also, the battery issue can be fixed with an OTA update.

I’m unsure what I’m going to do right now, but for now I’m going to wait it out and see if there’s any news on the Tax Credit in the next 2-3 weeks. Hopefully there will be some news on the Panasonic battery + heat pump acceleration issue as well.
I know I said I was going to stop but I’m kind of surprised at the lack of concern over the battery issue here. There is no way I would accept my order given the uncertainty and just hope on blind faith that Tesla fixes this. As it currently stands we have no way of knowing the extent of the issue and whether it’s truly limited to sub zero temps or a broader problem. I wouldn’t play Russian roulette with my 55k (too late for me) but I guess that’s just me. I suppose I find the lack of concern is a positive thing in that many must think it’s nbd but that’s quite a leap of faith. The potential that a 2019 M3P outperforms a 2021 M3P at everything other than 90 to 70 SOC is just not something I can accept. That’s more than half the useful range of the car.

The results of that test have been verified by at least one other group in Europe. You will definitely get a bump in performance if you go from 80 to 90 but the car should still be pretty strong at 80 (i.e. 3.5 to 60). One thing about the speed is that it's so peaceful in its implementation that you are moving faster than you think. In an ICE car, there's all sorts of noise and other visceral feedback to let you know you are moving fast. There is zero drama in the Tesla.

We don't know enough about the issue to know whether it's a byproduct of sub zero temperatures, software or battery chemistry (probably a combo of all 3) but it's reasonable to conclude the cold outside temps have something to do with it (hopefully it has more than something). Since you are in california, a test against a 2019 would be informative but it needs to happen at SOCs lower than 70 which is where the differences started being noticeable. So, a drag race in 70 degree weather between a 2019 at say 50% SOC would be informative on the issue. In the test, the 2019 put out significantly more power at 50 SOC than the 2021.

I def wasnt blown away by the speed of the car, but havent really driven it in anger enough yet. Shamefully most of the miles have been in Chill mode haha

Well, I’d be interested to do a little comparison. If anyone who has a older M3P in the Bay Area wants to give this a try let me know. 50% SOC drag race...in Mexico ofcourse

Reactions: Ralbright
I know I said I was going to stop but I’m kind of surprised at the lack of concern over the battery issue here. There is no way I would accept my order given the uncertainty and just hope on blind faith that Tesla fixes this. As it currently stands we have no way of knowing the extent of the issue and whether it’s truly limited to sub zero temps or a broader problem. I wouldn’t play Russian roulette with my 55k (too late for me) but I guess that’s just me. I suppose I find the lack of concern is a positive thing in that many must think it’s nbd but that’s quite a leap of faith. The potential that a 2019 M3P outperforms a 2021 M3P at everything other than 90 to 70 SOC is just not something I can accept. That’s more than half the useful range of the car.

I'm not discounting the current findings, and it does have me contemplating on delaying my purchase to a later date. However, we're still more than a month away from taking delivery, so maybe more will develop on this issue in terms of other test. I'm kind of hoping someone with some juice can reach out to Fred ( electrek) and get him to write a story. Maybe then Tesla will address the issue.

I'm not discounting the current findings, and it does have me contemplating on delaying my purchase to a later date. However, we're still more than a month away from taking delivery, so maybe more will develop on this issue in terms of other test. I'm kind of hoping someone with some juice can reach out to Fred ( electrek) and get him to write a story. Maybe then Tesla will address the issue.

I’m not concerned and not considering delaying my order at all, not even a little bit.

Most likely a software/tuning issue, I’m confident they’ll get it worked out. Besides that, I’m planning to use this as a commuter car, not a track car. I’m not too old to appreciate a quick car, however that’s not the only reason for buying the performance trim either.

I’m going to enjoy the hell out of my Tesla, and look forward to the updates.

Tim

Reactions: Avn1284
I def wasnt blown away by the speed of the car, but havent really driven it in anger enough yet. Shamefully most of the miles have been in Chill mode haha

Well, I’d be interested to do a little comparison. If anyone who has a older M3P in the Bay Area wants to give this a try let me know. 50% SOC drag race...in Mexico ofcourse
Try flooring it at about 30 mph and let us know what you think of the speed.

You have to remember this is only during sub-zero temps. Unless you’re living in Antarctica, this will only affect you for like 3 months of the year. We’re coming to the end of winter now and I’m confident it’ll be fixed by next winter. I’m hoping it’s on their radar.

Reactions: TomaGo
I hope you are right but we don’t know this to be true yet. It seems logical that a lot of it is due to the temps but we need to see how much. To my knowledge no one has run this test at warmer temps yet.
It's all due to temps + heat pump combination. Bjorn even said this and he's incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to batteries.

The battery isn't getting enough heat because the heat pump does not heat up the battery as much compared to resistive heating in the pre-heat pump models.

Check out this video, it's from 100% - 29% in normal temps, but nowhere near the performance degradation as Bjorns results:

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
It's all due to temps + heat pump combination. Bjorn even said this and he's incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to batteries.

The battery isn't getting enough heat because the heat pump does not heat up the battery as much compared to resistive heating in the pre-heat pump models.

Check out this video, it's from 100% - 29% in normal temps, but nowhere near the performance degradation as Bjorns results:
That’s certainly reassuring.

Reactions: TBrownTX and Venom
Tomorrow your delivery estimate will be 2/16-3/15. :-/
You know what at this point any change is a welcome change; it’d at least reassure me I’m somewhere in their active queue!

I received an email requesting insurance info a week or two ago (even though I already uploaded my Cali insurance info) and got unreasonably excited.

Looking forward to see that 5->6 change!