Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks all - was able to get a 220V installed today for $350. More than I was expecting or hoping to pay but it is what it is... It is the 14-50 style plug, so will be getting *hopefully* 30 miles per hour when the adapter comes in.
mind if i asked a question? was your breaker a 100amp or 200.

i am also wanting to get a 220v installed in my garage (toronto canada), however... it seems like the way my house is setup (ive got tenants), with them having a dryer+stove, plus us having a stove as well (all electric), then the hvac, my electrician said i would need to upgrade my panel to a higher amperage which will end up costing me, from start to finish, about 3200$ canadian.
ive seen tons of videos about this, just curious how you did yours since ur expense is considerable lower than what mine may be.
thanks in advanced and congrats on gettin your m3 :). cant wait for ours to come in as well.

Reactions: TBrownTX

i am also wanting to get a 220v installed in my garage (toronto canada), however... it seems like the way my house is setup (ive got tenants), with them having a dryer+stove, plus us having a stove as well (all electric), then the hvac, my electrician said i would need to upgrade my panel to a higher amperage which will end up costing me, from start to finish, about 3200$ canadian.
ive seen tons of videos about this, just curious how you did yours since ur expense is considerable lower than what mine may be.
thanks in advanced and congrats on gettin your m3 :). cant wait for ours to come in as well.

I went with the Wall Connector and a 60AMP circuit, but I’m fortunate enough to to have 200AMP service. If I was limited, I’d still go with a 220V but maybe limit to 30 or 40 AMPs versus nothing at all.

Tim

Reactions: CanadianRob
I went with the Wall Connector and a 60AMP circuit, but I’m fortunate enough to to have 200AMP service. If I was limited, I’d still go with a 220V but maybe limit to 30 or 40 AMPs versus nothing at all.

Tim
id thumb up your reply if i could, but im still new and it seems like i aint got the option to do so hehe. +1

you're def quite fortunate to have such service. this has been bugging me for days tbh. i need to get er done before the car gets here (whenever that may be).
ill keep your recommendation in mind.
i dont mind connecting the car alittle longer. but def not as long as a standard 110v would require. its just not efficient and would end up costing more in the long run.
just really looking for the sweet spot given my current service of 100amp.

thanks for the response !

Tim
Same here, it was a PITA trying to find a 60AMP 2 Pole Stab-Lok breaker. The electrician had one but was basically claiming it was as valuable as gold because you can't find them.... then I bought one on Amazon for $80...

• Funny

First, make sure the electrician is referring to the law, not just his opinion about how much better a bigger panel would be. He should be able to show you the panel rating and related calculations.

Second, you don't need 60A, even 20A or 30A is fine. Overnight is overnight.

One week old M3P in my neighborhood in Florida.

20210331_140015.jpg

We have a 200 amp breaker!

imo, most people should upgrade to 200A in general if they are at 100a today...my house had the original 100a service and panel from 1963 and the night before my appt to get the panel upgrade a breaker broke somehow (this is rare) so i was only out for 1 night...it makes me sleep so much better at night knowing i have a new panel with breakers that i can buy at home depot and lowes. also the ground rod (well two per NEC) is a lot better than simulating ground with neutrals

you also need a new panel if you ever want solar so make sure you get one that is solar ready.

SquareD is generally considered the best panel and breakers out there so try and have someone that will install that brand. I also had them use as many quad breakers as possible to save slots. that isn't a huge deal as most breakers aren't that expensive to swap out later, but why not get it done now while doing it all. i'm planning on a hot tub later on so i needed the space.

lastly, if you do upgrade, these whole home electronic protective devices are awesome. They come as external or as taking up 2 spots for breakers.

Last edited:
Reactions: EVxdream
IT'S HERE!!!! Ordered on 2/18, showed up late on 3/30, picked up on 3/31, Like others have said, its a rocket ship!! Already put the maxspider mats in and debadged it all the way around. New headlights with the software with the heated steering wheel button. Gonna put the screen protector on once I get home from work tonight. Now I can start planning the stereo upgrade...

Attachments

• IMG_8116.jpg
    IMG_8116.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_8123.jpg
    IMG_8123.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 81
Still waiting on update on M3, but seems normal given the VIN. Do we have any sense of when V11 might come out? It seems like the new Model S will have to have it upon delivery, but I don't know if Tesla typically moves the whole fleet to a new software at the same time.